• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 182 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Otoh, I'm pretty sure I also recall some people criticising him for "abandoning" Vingegaard this year.
Besides, since he knew he was very likely gonna leave early, it was probably quite smart to not go around chasing points for the green jersey; riders who leave early - without being injured or sick - tends to get some criticism, whereas last year he showed that he could both basically murder the point competition and be a bona fide domestique for Vingegaard, even though some questions were raised about his loyalty at first.

All in all hence a rather reasonable decision. To not do Tour in the 2024 season then. Not much personal gains involved and if Jonas doesn't win, by van Aert participating, then likely van Aert to be blamed? A year off is a good thing in such situation. To get some perspective. For him and for the team.

P.S. If Jonas doesn't win then still van Aert to be questioned? Nah, that would be too much.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Wout is fading. And it has absolutely nothing to do with his good result today.

He will win races but he will not be as dominant as he has been known for previously.

I think he has reached the saturation point of being a suberp pro athlete and joggling with the mental toll of having a family that also has increased this year.

His Giro is a wrong move imo, I have no idea why he would ever want that, so I think there is something deeper at play here.

I think Wout is fading. And it has absolutely nothing to do with his good result today.

He will win races but he will not be as dominant as he has been known for previously.

I think he has reached the saturation point of being a suberp pro athlete and joggling with the mental toll of having a family that also has increased this year.

His Giro is a wrong move imo, I have no idea why he would ever want that, so I think there is something deeper at play here.
Sometimes, you need to change schedule and daily routines.

You’ve just thrown a bunch of claims out there with no substantiation and some weird logic?

Family being a big stressor: it can be but we see a lot of winners with their infants or young kids joining them on the top step of the podium.

Saturation point? Is that why he flatted in the finale of Roubaix last year?

30 is old for a classics rider? Cancellara won 3 of his 7 monuments (2 RvV & PR), won Strade twice, and got an Olympic ITT gold from age 30 on. Valverde (of course) won 2x LBL, 4x Flèche, and World’s after age 30, Gilbert won RvV, PR, 2x Amstel, and road World’s starting at age 30.

You’ve just thrown a bunch of claims out there with no substantiation and some weird logic?

Family being a big stressor: it can be but we see a lot of winners with their infants or young kids joining them on the top step of the podium.

Saturation point? Is that why he flatted in the finale of Roubaix last year?

30 is old for a classics rider? Cancellara won 3 of his 7 monuments (2 RvV & PR), won Strade twice, and got an Olympic ITT gold from age 30 on. Valverde (of course) won 2x LBL, 4x Flèche, and World’s after age 30, Gilbert won RvV, PR, 2x Amstel, and road World’s starting at age 30.
Two legends of the sport.

I bet we can think of plenty of riders, who were once among the best, who faded after 30.

Two legends of the sport.

I bet we can think of plenty of riders, who were once among the best, who faded after 30.
I don’t see how that diluted my point, which is that the best/strongest classics riders continue to win big events after age 30. I consider Wout one of the best/strongest classics riders, so I think the examples of the best Classics riders of the early 21st century is quite apt. Boonen, of course, won big early in his career, but he still managed a massive RvV-PR double (with Gent and E3 thrown) in beyond age 30.

The reason he isn't good now is that he's trying to be better when it matters. We don't know if he will, but to say he's past his prime is a bit early.

He is one of my absolute favourites so you saying that makes me smile. I truly hope you are correct.
He is also one of my favorites. I saw him in multiple videos and reports when he was in Colombia and looked to be having a great time. I hope that changes make him happy and gives him something extra! Saw a video with Pogocar and Stevens and it was a big thing to enjoy yourself and have fun, big theme. Not a bad showing for Wout but right now he is certainly not flying on his cyclocross bike.. I am not nervous, but realistic

I don’t see how that diluted my point, which is that the best/strongest classics riders continue to win big events after age 30. I consider Wout one of the best/strongest classics riders, so I think the examples of the best Classics riders of the early 21st century is quite apt. Boonen, of course, won big early in his career, but he still managed a massive RvV-PR double (with Gent and E3 thrown) in beyond age 30.
I dont see how saying because two legends of the sport won big races after the age of 30, means or says anything about how Van Aert will do.

I disagree to the extent that I think he has very specific goals this season, and he is structuring everything around that, and getting rid of the need to be in top form all year. He is fading in the sense that he is getting older and taking a lesson from last year (on the back of the 2 years before), where he tried to keep his form too high for too long. I think we will see a very strong Wout at Roubaix. I wonder if Mathieu can keep the strength he has now, for as long as he is going to need to keep it, to cover all of his goals. He is peak right now...he's going to need to be peak all season this year, and maybe he can do that, but maybe he too will fade a bit?

Reactions: Sciatic
I disagree to the extent that I think he has very specific goals this season, and he is structuring everything around that, and getting rid of the need to be in top form all year. He is fading in the sense that he is getting older and taking a lesson from last year (on the back of the 2 years before), where he tried to keep his form too high for too long. I think we will see a very strong Wout at Roubaix. I wonder if Mathieu can keep the strength he has now, for as long as he is going to need to keep it, to cover all of his goals. He is peak right now...he's going to need to be peak all season this year, and maybe he can do that, but maybe he too will fade a bit?
I disagree Mathieu is peaking now.

I disagree Mathieu is peaking now.
With the pace at which he can ride an entire CX race, he is peak for CX...and I think that pushing that form through the WC's (granted, he will not need to be peak, with no competition to challenge him there), will affect him later. For the last 2 years, his Tour form has been Chris Froome level bad...and actually, not even that good. The reports from training camp were that he was insanely strong...pretty early for that, but maybe we will see a Mathieu like we have never seen, and his form will grow to never before seen heights? I genuinely think his current form will have an effect on how strong he can be for Flanders/Roubaix.

With the pace at which he can ride an entire CX race, he is peak for CX...and I think that pushing that form through the WC's (granted, he will not need to be peak, with no competition to challenge him there), will affect him later. For the last 2 years, his Tour form has been Chris Froome level bad...and actually, not even that good. The reports from training camp were that he was insanely strong...pretty early for that, but maybe we will see a Mathieu like we have never seen, and his form will grow to never before seen heights? I genuinely think his current form will have an effect on how strong he can be for Flanders/Roubaix.
Yeah, to me he also seems to be a little too good already, but he has a new trainer since little over a year and obviously this is working out quite well for him. This guy seems to know how to get him into top shape at the right moments. So we'll see.

I dont see how saying because two legends of the sport won big races after the age of 30, means or says anything about how Van Aert will do.
Again, my point was strong, accomplished classics riders continue to perform well after 30. I was saying that, along with saying his performances last year do not indicate declining quality, to respond to a poster who claimed he was in a steep decline because of stress of fatherhood and some character flaws. I wanted to counter with some data. You don’t think that’s useful info, that’s fine.

Again, my point was strong, accomplished classics riders continue to perform well after 30. I was saying that, along with saying his performances last year do not indicate declining quality, to respond to a poster who claimed he was in a steep decline because of stress of fatherhood and some character flaws. I wanted to counter with some data. You don’t think that’s useful info, that’s fine.
Plenty of accomplished classics riders who hasnt.

What Van Aert does or continue to do will be solely up to himself.

No other comparison is needed.

Plenty of accomplished classics riders who hasnt.

What Van Aert does or continue to do will be solely up to himself.

No other comparison is needed.
I don’t know what you’re on about. Comparisons are ways we make judgements about things that are unknown or disputed. I’m not trying to predict or say I know anything for sure, but wanted to counter someone saying that Van Aert was in a big decline and unlikely to win big races. You don’t think my comparisons are valid that’s fine (I’m to lazy right now to look up the ages of PR winners for the last twenty years.)

What exactly are you contributing to this discussion? O course Van Aert will do what his is going to do, and whatever we say here doesn’t affect that. But if you don’t think there’s any point in discussing future outcomes based on the information we can glean, why even participate in this discussion.?