• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 74 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Neither do I, but I heard a lot of them like him, like Boonen, Valverde, Contador, to name a few.
Sagan is a legend of the sport already, and Van Aert obviously want to become one, but there's a long way ahead of him.
Even Yates said he´s a pure class a while ago at Bradley Wiggins show. LINK
Notice that you are mentioning a few established names. And no one is denying that Sagan is an influential and entertaining (well, at least back in the day) rider. But he is not the most sympathetic one. Rarely chats with riders outside of his squad, or they have to be quite a star themselves. And his position battles in sprints and classics, being not shy of some pushing and knocking, also causes frustration in the peloton.

Reactions: stonerider
Notice that you are mentioning a few established names. And no one is denying that Sagan is an influential and entertaining (well, at least back in the day) rider. But he is not the most sympathetic one. Rarely chats with riders outside of his squad, or they have to be quite a star themselves. And his position battles in sprints and classics, being not shy of some pushing and knocking, also causes frustration in the peloton.

As a Sagan fan I was quite relieved to hear that Chris Anker Sørensen had nothing but good things to say about him in his posthumous podcast (which was a very weird thing to listen to, but in June a Danish podcast had made a four hour long interview with him that was released in December). CAS hadn't liked Contador that much on the other hand (maybe it was because he kept to his Spanish clique) and had generally had a terrible time at the team at the time with Tinkoff's presence. But he described Sagan as a really nice guy to be around. I also think the amount of well wishes he got immediately after the race in Richmond told something but of course that's a long time ago.

There, there. It's ok to let your emotions run free. We understand. Here's a handky for the big boy. Let it all out.
Thanks Logic. But you know what I'm saying. It all comes so easy for Wout - until he has to deal with MVDP on equal strength. And then all of the sudden winning becomes a puzzle he can't solve. Whether it is getting pipped at the line, released on the key climb, or losing seconds on every key technical part of the road (last PR) or field (too many examples to name one) - MVDP is kind've Wout's worst nightmare. I'm hoping MVDP does what's best for his long-term, but based on his training, there's still a small chance that Wout will have to deal with him in April. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thanks Logic. But you know what I'm saying. It all comes so easy for Wout - until he has to deal with MVDP on equal strength. And then all of the sudden winning becomes a puzzle he can't solve. Whether it is getting pipped at the line, released on the key climb, or losing seconds on every key technical part of the road (last PR) or field (too many examples to name one) - MVDP is kind've Wout's worst nightmare. I'm hoping MVDP does what's best for his long-term, but based on his training, there's still a small chance that Wout will have to deal with him in April. We'll see what happens.
We all hope Mathieu gets back as soon as possible, in full health. Don't get me wrong. And it's true that he has been Wout's nemesis. But the same can be said in the opposite direction. Here's a reality check: Mathieu has won the same amount of monuments as Jasper Stuyven. So please stop with the "he wins when or where he wants as long as he's on the startlist". Because it's BS. And Wout would have won his 3 TDF stages even if Mathieu were there. He wasn't going to beat him on Ventoux, he wasn't going to beat him in the TT, and he wasn't going to beat him on Champs Elysees, just like he won MSR while Mathieu was there. Just like he won Strade while Mathieu was there. So stop taking away from Van Aert. It's untrue, it's easy, it's childish, it's petty.

Obviously, Wout doesn't need prep races to be in great form. Hopefully Jumbo Vismo will learn from this and not race him into the ground. Last season they raced him too much and he didn't shine as bright as he could have.
He had 49 race days last season, Jumbo riders are riding already quite fewer than everyone else in an era where already everyone races very few compared to the past, asking to him to ride even less is mind boggling. Waiting for him or Roglič coming down from altitude feels like waiting for ages...

Last edited:
He had 49 race days last season, Jumbo riders are riding already quite fewer than everyone else in an era where already everyone races very few compared to the past, asking to him to ride even less is mind boggling. Waiting for him or Roglič coming down from altitude feels like waiting for ages...
I'd much rather have quality versus quantity if it means more big wins.

We all hope Mathieu gets back as soon as possible, in full health. Don't get me wrong. And it's true that he has been Wout's nemesis. But the same can be said in the opposite direction. Here's a reality check: Mathieu has won the same amount of monuments as Jasper Stuyven. So please stop with the "he wins when or where he wants as long as he's on the startlist". Because it's BS. And Wout would have won his 3 TDF stages even if Mathieu were there. He wasn't going to beat him on Ventoux, he wasn't going to beat him in the TT, and he wasn't going to beat him on Champs Elysees, just like he won MSR while Mathieu was there. Just like he won Strade while Mathieu was there. So stop taking away from Van Aert. It's untrue, it's easy, it's childish, it's petty.
All in good fun Logic. I'm just a recreational cyclist and a fan here in the USA where 99.9% of the population have no idea who the hell WVA or MVDP are. Love MVDP cause he races the MTB and I like his go for broke attitude and willingness to completely throw caution to the wind and explore his limits. The reality is you can't really be a WVA fan if you're an MVDP fan. We'll see how things go. Some of the numbers MVDP posted today suggest he is trending in the right direction. And, I don't really believe you (an obvious Wout fan) really wants to see MVDP back this spring. Just like you probably wished he wouldn't have made it back for PR this fall to drop Wout's ass on the Trouée d'Arenberg .

All in good fun Logic. I'm just a recreational cyclist and a fan here in the USA where 99.9% of the population have no idea who the hell WVA or MVDP are. Love MVDP cause he races the MTB and I like his go for broke attitude and willingness to completely throw caution to the wind and explore his limits. The reality is you can't really be a WVA fan if you're an MVDP fan. We'll see how things go. Some of the numbers MVDP posted today suggest he is trending in the right direction. And, I don't really believe you (an obvious Wout fan) really wants to see MVDP back this spring. Just like you probably wished he wouldn't have made it back for PR this fall to drop Wout's ass on the Trouée d'Arenberg .
And with all the crazy stuff going on in the world right now, it's a good time to remember that sports (even big $ professional sports) are all pretty much recreational. One of these days I'm going to make it to Belgium for the Kerstperiode and I'll by you a beer or six.

Disagree. I support Wout more since he is my compatriot, but I enjoy both riders because they are gems for our beloved sport. Why wouldn't it be possible to be a fan of two rivals, even though you prefer the one over the other? And most of all, wishing (lasting) physical setbacks on someone is one of the most unsportsmanlike things to do. I'm convinced that @Logic-is-your-friend feels the same way.

I disagree. I'm a fan of both Wout and MvdP. Wout is now leading because he built himself back stronger with physiotherapy/core work after this terrible crash at the TdF a few years ago. I do believe Wout trains smarter than MvdP and that is why he's such a beast now.

Same here - I’m a fan of both. I love Mvdp’s long range attacks, brutal accelerations and caution-to-the-wind approach, like we’ve seen in Amstel, Strada Bianchi & TdF stage 2…but I also love Wva’s more measured approach, brute strength, and versatility over different terrains.
They’re both wonderful contributors to the sport, for all fans. And made even better, I think, for the fact that they’re different types of riders.

Reactions: jmdirt and OlavEH
I disagree. I'm a fan of both Wout and MvdP. Wout is now leading because he built himself back stronger with physiotherapy/core work after this terrible crash at the TdF a few years ago. I do believe Wout trains smarter than MvdP and that is why he's such a beast now.
You're a better man than me Stonerider. I'm certainly a fan of Wout in terms of thinking he is a phenomenal athlete and seemingly a very good person. But I must admit as an MVDP fan it stings a bit to see Wout collecting wins with MVDP on the sidelines. Not sure what you mean by Wout "is now leading". Last couple of times they lined up in a major race MVDP placed higher - and he flat out ended Wout's race at the biggest one - PR. And I will never understand what you mean by "core" work. Do you really believe MVDP doesn't have a strong core? Believe me, you need a plenty strong core to race MTB's - much more so than road.

Nah, maybe Vdp is better than WvA in certain type of races in peak shape, especially those races with these short and steep climbs like Strade Bianche and RVV. But I don't think we have seen them both in peak or close to peak shape since RVV 2020. Even if MvdP is better, Van Aert in peak shape woudn't be dropped by Asgreen or Colbrelli or beaten by Van Avermaet or Stuyven. Last year he tried to bite more than he could chew, and the result was that he underperformed in several of the most important races. It was impossible to be in peak shape for a 6 week long classics season in the spring, in TDF and the Olympics and for the Worlds and PR in the fall.

I also think that you could support them both. Maybe I would cheer for VdP if those two were in a decisive breakaway together, but in the absence of VdP, I have no problem seeing WvA winning races instead of the other classics guys. I like VdPs incredible aggresive riding and his ability on the bike and in certain types of terrain and I like Van Aerts versaility and incredible engine. And Van Aert is also an offensive rider. Much more than almost every other classics rider we've seen in the later years. VdP is problaby mye favorite classics rider the last 15 years, but WvA is before all the rest. Never was a Valverde fan, and also like Van Aert better than I did Boonen, Sagan or Alaphillipe.

Last edited: