• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is it likely that Van Aert is doing a more "calculated" TA this year, and using it solely as a prepartion for the big one day races the next month? Last year it is very likely that his eagerness to perform in all kinds of races probably hurt his performance in the biggest races like the momunments and Worlds.
It certaintly looks like it, if your reffering to the Paris Nice.

However, he's definitely doing a more calculated Tirreno Adriatico by as I haven't spotted him in the peloton at all!;)

It certaintly looks like it, if your reffering to the Paris Nice.

However, he's definitely doing a more calculated Tirreno Adriatico by as I haven't spotted him in the peloton at all!;)
Haha, you're right. Fixed now.

Maybe he is weaker in the mountains and longer hills than last year, but I guess it's a combination of that and using it more as a preparation race instead of going all in like last year in TA.

Last edited:
Is it likely that Van Aert is doing a more "calculated" PN this year, and using it solely as a prepartion for the big one day races the next month? Last year it is very likely that his eagerness to perform in all kinds of races probably hurt his performance in the biggest races like the momunments and Worlds.

Yes he seemed to be a little bit off, ending only 6 of the 8 stages in the top 3.

Yes he seemed to be a little bit off, ending only 6 of the 8 stages in the top 3.
He didn't perform in the tougher stages until yesterday. And that may have been intentional. Last year he emptied himself in TA and the rest of the classics season probably suffered due to that. This year I think it will be very difficult to beat him in most of the classics, and especially that he will perform better in RVV and PR than last year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He didn't perform in the tougher stages until yesterday. And that may have been intentional. Last year he emptied himself in TA and the rest of the classics season probably suffered due to that. This year I think it will be very difficult to beat him in most of the classics, and especially that he will perform better in RVV and PR than last year.
He used Paris Nice for training for the classics this year....just like training you go hard some days and easy others. As you said, he screwed himself last year by going hard everyday in TA and then the Tour of Britain and he was empty for Flanders, Paris Roubaix and the World Championships.

He used Paris Nice for training for the classics this year....just like training you go hard some days and easy others. As you said, he screwed himself last year by going hard everyday in TA and then the Tour of Britain and he was empty for Flanders, Paris Roubaix and the World Championships.
Yep, he seems to have learnt some lessons since last year. Even though he had some great wins then, he didn't win any of his perhaps 6-7 most important targets. Maybe that will be different this year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
After watching todays race I have to question whether Jumbos have trouble with endurance. Like with the exception of a couple of months in 2020, where the whole team was really head and shoulders above everyone else, all the Jumbo riders seem to perform far worse when the distance hits 230-240km. Roglič obviously has renowned issues with that since - forever. Lombardia 2019 and 2021, LBL last year, today as well and basically every WC road race. He just lacks the power and speed when it hits a certain lenght. But WvA as well. Losing a sprint to MvdP in 2020 Ronde, (nearly) losing to Pidcock in Amstel last year, Ronde last year...WC road races as well... even if the group managed to catch Mohorič today, I doubt Wout would have won the sprint.

And it is not just the two of them. Even Laporte who we know is in fantastic shape dropped at the bottom of the Poggio today.

So I wonder if that is training based or do their riders simply lose top power when the race is really long.

Wout van Aert on Milan-San Remo finale: ‘I wasted too much energy chasing Pogačar’

“Of course I am disappointed,” van Aert said at the line. “I think I wasted too much energy in responding to Tadej Pogačar’s attacks on the Poggio.”

Reactions: jmdirt