• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

O'Grady non-confession-confession confession

Appears Stuey mate avoided the wrath of the Clinic whilst the Clinic had its leaks plugged.

None the less Tomo bought Stuey mates BS story.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentra.../128176/don-t-forget-stuey-s-brilliant-career

Now count how many times the word "Stuey" is used in the article! :eek:

It seems one costly mistake made 15 years ago may forever taint a brilliant career - one which has brought so many historical moments and memories.

Is it fair to continuously grind Stuey into oblivion as some ignorant members of the non-cycling media and community have chosen to do?

Is it fair to sully a reputation to the extent his career achievements could forever be wiped from the record books?

For the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) to suggest O'Grady return his 2004 Athens Olympic medal is a complete overreaction and ludicrous.

It smacks of being a convenient and politically correct public relations response.

There's no dispute a very young Stuart O'Grady made a big mistake at the time - one that has come back to haunt him in an era when clean riders were the exception to the rule.

After living the dream as a star track cyclist under the support of the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS), O'Grady travelled to Europe for the first time in 1996 to pursue a professional road career.

He had little money, few friends, no support and nobody to guide or direct him.

Imagine how difficult it must have been for a boy from Adelaide with stars in his eyes to fit into a new environment and adapt to the cultural practices of a foreign way of life?

I must admit O'Grady's defense that it was the only time he took EPO, all of which was sourced himself, does look particularly week.

This Dutchman (can't remember his name) who was caught out who had recently said to the Dutch autorities that he did not dope as part of their T&R process highlights the weakness of a T&R process.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
del1962 said:
I must admit O'Grady's defense that it was the only time he took EPO, all of which was sourced himself, does look particularly week.

LOOK WEAK? What f**king planet do you live on? Oh yeah Skyplanet, where whatever riders and teams say is the truth.

O'Grady claims to have taken the EPO before the TdF in 98. He tested positive on the 14th stage. That's some EPO to stay in the body over 2 weeks!!!

O'Grady is a liar. End of. He claims to have taken it to keep up. He won a stage and wore the yellow jersey for 3 days. He then had a palmare career (without epo, his claim) that most cyclists would give a testicle for!!!!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
With, ancient in sporting lifetimes, guys like Kloden, Voight and O'Grady still in the TdF this it blows out of the water any creedance that the peloton are on bread and water, never mind the clown controlling anti doping.

hrotha said:
It's likely to work with the non-specialized Australian public that's eager to believe him, which would allow him to continue a career linked to pro cycling. I mean, just look at Stephens.

Does it really work, it just looks really lame, if he had said he had been doping prior to the Festina Scandal it might have looked a bit more credible or he had come out with this earlier like Julich, it would look credible, but he has made himself a laughing stock.

del1962 said:
Does it really work, it just looks really lame, if he had said he had been doping prior to the Festina Scandal it might have looked a bit more credible or he had come out with this earlier like Julich, it would look credible, but he has made himself a laughing stock.

It worked on you. Just a few posts ago the only problem you had with the non-confession confession was that it looked particularly weak. Weak but still believable. That is quite a bit better than Froome's excuses and a big win for O'Grady.

BroDeal said:
It worked on you. Just a few posts ago the only problem you had with the non-confession confession was that it looked particularly weak. Weak but still believable. That is quite a bit better than Froome's excuses and a big win for O'Grady.

You really think that when I said it looked a bit weak I beleived him, not wonder you get so many things wrong.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Whilst it was 15 years ago that he claims that he took EPO and it was the only time he doped, and even if I was to accept this (which I have deep concerns over), the thing I can't accept and even forgive O'Grady is the fact that he lied in his interview for the Vance Report only about 6 months ago in that he hadn't in effect taken any PEDs during his career.

It appears that O'Grady only decided to come clean because this French Senate Report post TDF was going to name him a doper, so he decided to retire but not before he took at least 6 months pay riding for Greenedge.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
It's likely to work with the non-specialized Australian public that's eager to believe him, which would allow him to continue a career linked to pro cycling. I mean, just look at Stephens.

Most of the comments on news articles regarding O'Grady's admission seemed to be in agreement that he doped more than once. Clearly his 'admission' was complete BS.

It is unfortunate that when Stuey was a young lad leaving Australia and track cycling and entering the murky world of professional road cycling in the tradition-based European countries there was no option for him like the science-based Team SKY or a home country team like OCG.

However, even more shocking than Stuey's confession are the denials of Sergio Ribeiro, the 2011 and 2012 Portuguese Cyclist of the Year, who still maintains his innocence after receiving his recent 12-year-ban.

thrawn said:
Most of the comments on news articles regarding O'Grady's admission seemed to be in agreement that he doped more than once. Clearly his 'admission' was complete BS.

Stuey must be the most unlucky cyclist ever, I mean he dopes once and tests positive, one well known doper passed hundreds of tests (soem say 500):D

darwin553 said:
Whilst it was 15 years ago that he claims that he took EPO and it was the only time he doped, and even if I was to accept this (which I have deep concerns over)

It's just point blank not true. You don't take EPO once and then have a test show large amounts of EPO still in the urine two weeks later. That is just literally impossible.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
luckyboy said:
It's just point blank not true. You don't take EPO once and then have a test show large amounts of EPO still in the urine two weeks later. That is just literally impossible.

Never said that I accepted Stuey's version of events. I was just merely stating that in the event I did I still couldn't forgive him for still wanting to deceive the public all the way up till late last year when he gave his evidence to the Vance Report.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Why did O'Grady give anything for the Vance Report? Was he responding to a subpoena? Did he voluntarily give an interview? Could he have feigned being too busy in Europe to participate?

I presume anything he did give was voluntary; however there may also have been an understanding that whichever rider at greenedge who didn't participate that this would be viewed adversely in that a negative inference could be drawn that they had a doping past.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
All the time, i guess.
probably yeah.

stuey's and zabel's non-confession confessions show just how much trust we can have in the affidavits in the usada report, where everybody harmonically stopped doping in 2006.

Just to be clear, no one in Australia believes his "confession" and his credibility is shot notwithstanding that dreadful fawning drivel by Tomolaris. And there is genuine anger about lying to Vance. No compulsion, but the report was in response to White being exposed by the USADA Reasoned Decision and "sacked" by OGRE.

One interesting development is ASADA now has coersive power as of this week.

TRENDING THREADS