• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

OK, When are we going to get Road Cycling TV done right?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Versus or VS. or whatever their name is/are these days is a joke. No Giro or Vuelta? Oh, but we do get Tour of Kalifornia & Ireland to go with TdF.

Who are these guys?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ok when are the mods going to boot this bloke its getting just a bit beyond a joke, i know you guys will get to it but this is stupid.

Anyway trying living in australia we're happy we now have the paris roubiax live, so now we have that and the TdF.:rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The reason we have different threads is so we can discuss different subjects, making the same point in every thread is just plain annoying stop please.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The vast majority of cycling fans are in Europe and have excellent coverage from their local broadcasters.

You can pick this up via sites like cyclingfans.com, where the link to internet streams. Of course, if you only speak English you will miss some of the commentary but you will learn the language and in any language you can recognise the names in the speech and use the on-screen graphics.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I actually really enjoy watching races with commentary in the language of the country the race is in. Local commentators always get more excited. Also, the team they have at Rai Sport are just fantastic. I don't speak a word of Italian but I swear I understand most of what they are saying just from tone.

I havent found a live video feed for today's stage yet.

Also with regards to the CN blog update. "Côte du Pas du Ventoux"
I'm not sure it translates to "hill that is not ventoux" but rather "hill of Ventou'x footstep"

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
DickRhee said:
I'd be happy with a service like cycling.tv, if it actually worked. Maybe Hulu can start rebroadcasting races...

DR: Sorry you're having issues - I have not had any problems since Het N-blad. Watching the stage right now. I have been a subscriber there for 3 or 4 years now, and it's gotten better all the time, this year's Het N-blad notwithstanding.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
cycling tv

Cycling tv works for me 90% of the time, and then I can always watch the race a few hours later. Living in NA, this is really the only way I can watch pro cycling.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cylcing suffers from "niche sport" syndrome.

It's a numbers game.

If cycling could pull in the same amount of dollars and television viewers as money spent on tourism (food, lodging, petrol, etc.) and related advertising by the people attending the live events, then (non-internet-based) television coverage would be a reality. It's not as if cycling is such a difficult team sport to understand, either; but it is quite costly to hire helicopters, motos, and adept camera people.

Bottom line, if the revenue isn't there, television will always go the easy way of stadium sports such as futbol, NASCAR, etc. Television goes where the viewers don't ask too many questions and the money is plentiful.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
As long as the "real" fan base so visibly and publicly focuses (almost exclusively) on hater-witticisms and painful topics like dope, the network execs will shy away. Note to you readers....the various internet trash talk sites (like this one) are the kind of public forums that decision makers consider....

doh_homer_simpson-1084.jpg

montagna lunga said:
As long as the "real" fan base so visibly and publicly focuses (almost exclusively) on hater-witticisms and painful topics like dope, the network execs will shy away. Note to you readers....the various internet trash talk sites (like this one) are the kind of public forums that decision makers consider...

The only thing the "decision makers" consider is how much money they will make. If "decision makers" were concerned with "internet trash talk sites" then society would not continue to be assaulted by the musical stylings of Nickelback.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The only thing the "decision makers" consider is how much money they will make. If "decision makers" were concerned with "internet trash talk sites" then society would not continue to be assaulted by the musical stylings of Nickelback.

Thank god, I am not alone!

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If "decision makers" were concerned with "internet trash talk sites" then society would not continue to be assaulted by the musical stylings of Nickelback.
Good point, but does that mean there is no market study whatsoever? Or are network decision makers as reflexive and unthinking as you (seem to) make them out to be?

montagna lunga said:
Good point, but does that mean there is no market study whatsoever? Or are network decision makers as reflexive and unthinking as you (seem to) make them out to be?

It is simple dollars and cents. Unfortunately there are an endless number of low brow TV programs that will bring in more viewers than cycling coverage. These programs range from pawn shop reality TV shows to Joe Bob Billy Lee Bob shooting defenseless animals to home videos of people getting accidently hit in the nuts.

The whole of cable TV has gone straight into the crapper over the last ten years. No one cares about building a brand and consistently staying true to the target audience. They would rather put professional wrestling on the Sci Fi channel and a reality TV show about the two Coreys on A&E. It is a race to the lowest common denominator, and that means an audience of Cheetoh eating fat men who get winded climbing a flight of stairs.

BroDeal said:
The whole of cable TV has gone straight into the crapper over the last ten years. No one cares about building a brand and consistently staying true to the target audience. They would rather put professional wrestling on the Sci Fi channel and a reality TV show about the two Coreys on A&E. It is a race to the lowest common denominator, and that means an audience of Cheetoh eating fat men who get winded climbing a flight of stairs.

to appeal to this lot, they need to use naked women holding the musette's in the feed zones
you know it makes sense...

TRENDING THREADS