• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Old stoves and cigarettes?

May 28, 2012
Visit site
You might see this and think it's a bad joke, but these two things are potential performance enhancers, and could in fact be dirt cheap and improved replacements of altitude training and EPO.(Source)

Subject 1: Carbon monoxide

Mostly known as a cause of death for residents of badly ventilated houses with low-quality central heating. However, in sub-lethal concentrations its effects are potentially a stronger equivalent of altitude training, as it makes your blood less effective in diffusing O2 into your bloodstream.

In short, if a pro would sleep in a carbon monoxide tent he'll improve his red blood cell count in no time, without the costs of altitude training. The closer the concentration of CO to the lethal level, the more effect it'll have.(NOTE: don't try this at home)

Subject 2: Smoke

Although serfla(who I haven't seen here in a long time) mentioned this theory before, I thought it needed some more time. It seems he was somewhat right after all. Smoking has about the same effects as subj. 1, except the way it works. Smoke partly inhibits the lung function, and as such it blocks the pathway for the gas exchange in your alveoli. It doesn't have the potential of carbon dioxide, but it's still a possibility.

Well, what do you think?

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Sure, especially method 1 will work wonders.

Endogenous erythropoietin (EPO) production is modulated by tissue oxygenation. If the oxygenation of tissue, the amount of oxygen in tissue, is reduced, the body produces more erythropoietin, which in turn boosts the red blood cell production. Any method that induces reduced tissue oxygenation will in theory boost red blood cell production using this pathway.

Injecting exogenous EPO bypasses the feedback loop, ensuring high levels of erythropoietin and thus high levels of red blood cells in the blood. However, unlike the tissue suffocation method, the user is not posed to dangerously low tissue oxygenation levels.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with CO, as I know what it can do to your brain.

It is all starting to make sense now.

tumblr_lfig6qxcX91qga534o1_500.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Some of the people who have lived in Mexico City for generations have a problem with super elevated hematocrite due to the altitude & pollution combo. I can foresee riders changing their off season training camps their, but there is a minor issue with that. People of known wealth have been known to be kidnapped for ransom, which should of been Michael Rasmussen's excuse for a late whereabouts infraction, similar issues with Colombia.

Pentacycle said:
You might see this and think it's a bad joke, but these two things are potential performance enhancers, and could in fact be dirt cheap and improved replacements of altitude training and EPO.(Source)

Subject 1: Carbon monoxide

Mostly known as a cause of death for residents of badly ventilated houses with low-quality central heating. However, in sub-lethal concentrations its effects are potentially a stronger equivalent of altitude training, as it makes your blood less effective in diffusing O2 into your bloodstream.

In short, if a pro would sleep in a carbon monoxide tent he'll improve his red blood cell count in no time, without the costs of altitude training. The closer the concentration of CO to the lethal level, the more effect it'll have.(NOTE: don't try this at home)

Subject 2: Smoke

Although serfla(who I haven't seen here in a long time) mentioned this theory before, I thought it needed some more time. It seems he was somewhat right after all. Smoking has about the same effects as subj. 1, except the way it works. Smoke partly inhibits the lung function, and as such it blocks the pathway for the gas exchange in your alveoli. It doesn't have the potential of carbon dioxide, but it's still a possibility.

Well, what do you think?

Both are not good ideas.
Subject 1: CO is lethal above 2000 ppm. The cost of generating CO and then maintaining the CO concentration below non lethal levels is very costly. You would need sophisticated & reliable measuring instruments Like Gas Chromatograph and an advanced control system.
Subject 2: As you have already said - damages lungs, cancer etc.
i will add another 2 which is also difficult
Subject 3 - Dilution- Lowering the concentration of O2 by using inert harmless gas. Co2, N2, He etc. But again too costly.
Subject 4 Smothering- Stay in an small enclosed space( with a small aperture for ventilation) for a long time. This will reduce partial pressure of O2 whereas CO2 concentrations will go up due to breathing out. Will help to elevate hematocrit. May have cooling issues.

I smoke and my hgb is 16,5 which equals 50 HCT if my conversion method is right. Fit as a fiddle except I cough a little if I smoke too much. Highly recommended for any doper looking for an alternative to EPO microdosing.:p

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
So if I do some motopacing with a tube going to the motorcycles exhaust, I have a CO meter for my work and plenty of motorbikes around!! I can be the next super doper, I mean next bike hero!!:D:D

How will UCI test for this??

I should not have to add this but,,,
Please kids, do not try this at home!!!