• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oliver Naesen - next classic star?

I think he's already moved up to that group of riders just behind the big three. For me, he's now alongside the likes of Vanmarcke, Teprstra, Rowe and Kristoff. Guys who are fairly likely to get top 5, but probably aren't going to win. Give it a couple of years and he could make another step up - his improvement since going to AG2R has been huge. I know he was training a lot with GVA and Benoot over the winter - which can only help.

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
Billie said:
you should watch him in the studio after the race. That was great to watch
Please expand :)

Incredible to watch and listen to. His face was full of emotions. He was happy and dissapointed at the same time. You could see in his eyes that he was clearly happy that he showed what a star he is today and also that he missed a chance to fight for the win.

At one point they were talking about the teams and Planckaert or Nys said that his team wasn't strong today and he swiftly replied "Not yet" with a wink.

Re:

DFA123 said:
I think he's already moved up to that group of riders just behind the big three. For me, he's now alongside the likes of Vanmarcke, Teprstra, Rowe and Kristoff. Guys who are fairly likely to get top 5, but probably aren't going to win. Give it a couple of years and he could make another step up - his improvement since going to AG2R has been huge. I know he was training a lot with GVA and Benoot over the winter - which can only help.

he owes his career to training with Van Avermaet

Billie said:
Netserk said:
Billie said:
you should watch him in the studio after the race. That was great to watch
Please expand :)

Incredible to watch and listen to. His face was full of emotions. He was happy and dissapointed at the same time. You could see in his eyes that he was clearly happy that he showed what a star he is today and also that he missed a chance to fight for the win.

At one point they were talking about the teams and Planckaert or Nys said that his team wasn't strong today and he swiftly replied "Not yet" with a wink.
Awesome. It's really here in the cobbles season that I wish I could speak Dutch/Flemish.

Re:

DFA123 said:

The big three being Sagan, GVA and...?

TMP402 said:
DFA123 said:

The big three are obviously, in order, GVA, Gilbert and - just about still hanging in the top tier despite a lot of poor performances and results this year - Sagan.

DFA123 said:
TMP402 said:
DFA123 said:

The big three are obviously, in order, GVA, Gilbert and - just about still hanging in the top tier despite a lot of poor performances and results this year - Sagan.
Gilbert has had a couple of great weeks. Yes he is in great form but it may be a one off. You can't put him above Sagan, who in your words is 'just hanging on' despite the fact he was probably as strong as GvA yesterday and came 2nd in Sanremo. Not to mention the fact he dominated the spring classics last year.

Brullnux said:
DFA123 said:
TMP402 said:
DFA123 said:

Gilbert has had a couple of great weeks. Yes he is in great form but it may be a one off. You can't put him above Sagan, who in your words is 'just hanging on' despite the fact he was probably as strong as GvA yesterday and came 2nd in Sanremo. Not to mention the fact he dominated the spring classics last year.

Pure speculation, we have no idea about that. He was monsterously strong in MSR but apart from that, he's shown no signs that he's at the same level as last year. Last year Sagan would have been capable of dropping GVA up the cobbled climbs, something he's failed to do this year.

Brullnux said:
DFA123 said:
TMP402 said:
DFA123 said:

I think Sagan has been poor in the last few races. It could just be a small dip in form, but maybe not, maybe his level has regressed. These things move quickly, and one poor season puts you back alongside the chasing pack imo. After all, in 2015, Kristoff and Thomas were among the very elite, while GVA wasn't. Things have changed a lot in two years though.

TRENDING THREADS