• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympics 2020 (2021): Harder to dope in Japan?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think the studies that have been done about the impact of endogenous high T haven't really supported the IAAF ruling AFAIK. Little doubt adding T helps, but more doubt if high natural levels really helps (considering there are olympic male athletes under the barrier athletics have put in place).
This is an interesting topic. I would be curious to see their methodology on this. On the surface, it definitely rings alarm bells when 2 Namibian teens are running in the Olympic final at 200m and setting other Continental records in other distances. It is hard for me to reach the conclusion that the extra Testosterone is not contributing majorly to that. Of course, is that genetic advantage any different than being born with the physique of Athing Mu or Allyson Felix?

Another surprise Gold for the Italian track and field team. Stano wins the 20km walking at the age of 29, his only medal at a big event was a silver medal at the u23 wc years ago.
Looks like the Italians came with a good prep, are they working once again with the university of Ferrara like in the golden era of italian sports?

The study was published by the IAAF in the British Journal of Sports Medicine which identified specific events in which high testosterone levels could benefit athletes - https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/17/1309

Conclusion Female athletes with high fT levels have a significant competitive advantage over those with low fT in 400 m, 400 m hurdles, 800 m, hammer throw, and pole vault.

Cherry-picked disciplines?

The validity of the study is disputed:

“It’s deeply flawed,” says Roger Pielke Jr, a sports governance and policy researcher at the University of Colorado Boulder, who has called for the study to be retracted. “As many as one-third of the data were bad,” Pielke says. For example, some performance times were duplicated, other times did not exist in the official competition results, and athletes disqualified for doping were included in the study data set.
- https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00819-0

So internet trolls don’t count obviously. Russia are notorious and this was very evident when the Malaysian airliner was shot down over Ukraine.

Whereas you have provided all the possible evidence to support it.

Reactions: Cookster15
The study was published by the IAAF in the British Journal of Sports Medicine which identified specific events in which high testosterone levels could benefit athletes - https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/17/1309

Conclusion Female athletes with high fT levels have a significant competitive advantage over those with low fT in 400 m, 400 m hurdles, 800 m, hammer throw, and pole vault.

Cherry-picked disciplines?

The validity of the study is disputed:

- https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00819-0

I was watching the women’s pole vault final now. The British looks like a bodybuilder compared to the American and Russian girls. But this discipline is more about technique and psychology. Of course, bodybuilding looks won a bronze medal for the British, which is not good.

She really doesn't. She is 5ft 9 and 10st 6, and not particularly muscled.

compared to the American and Russian girls

aKYPLkf.jpg

Wxf2h6C.jpg

I was watching the women’s pole vault final now. The British looks like a bodybuilder compared to the American and Russian girls. But this discipline is more about technique and psychology. Of course, bodybuilding looks won a bronze medal for the British, which is not good.
“discipline is more about technique and psychology.”

Speed + upper body strength + technique. The psychology part can apply to any event.

I think people underestimate the need for sprint speed on the runway. Vaulters not only have to get high enough to clear the bar but deep enough into the pit to sail over the bar and not come down on top of it.
(Or fall backwards).

Reactions: Red Rick
Supposedly a range of body types can be suited to modern pole vault, from big and strong athletes using larger poles to smaller athletes using more flexible poles. Look at the last three male gold medalists for a good example of this.

I wonder how high her natural testosterone levels are. According to an IAAF study, female athletes with high fT levels have a significant competitive advantage in pole vault. But strangely, the pole vault was excluded from the regulations. Maybe because poor African countries are not good in this discipline.

Knowing how shady that IAAF president Coe is. The guy was on Nike’s payroll for decades while holding high-ranking positions at the IAAF and during this time nothing disturbed the Nike/Salazar doping program.

British government funded Coe’s IAAF presidential campaign and instructed British ambassadors to lobby for Coe to ensure ‘British interests are protected’.

CXrCxxh.jpg

Am9HHb7.jpg

Clearly, the cheating did not end with Mo Farah and Paula Radcliffe.

“discipline is more about technique and psychology.”
Speed + upper body strength + technique. The psychology part can apply to any event.
I think people underestimate the need for sprint speed on the runway. Vaulters not only have to get high enough to clear the bar but deep enough into the pit to sail over the bar and not come down on top of it.
(Or fall backwards).

Of course, physical physical attributes are important but technique is the most important element. I’m 100% sure the pole vault is the psychologically most demanding discipline. Everyone has some fear at these heights.

Soon 36-year-old Felix won a bronze medal at 400 meters. Totally freak show..
I am not going to make the argument that she is clean, but 400m is sport where strength is just as important as speed. We saw in the trials that she is lacking in the latter as she got blown out in the 200m. Since she has made the transition to the 400m, these are her big meet times.

2011 WC. 49.59
2015 WC. 49.26
2016 Olympics. 49.51
2017 WC. 50.08
2021 Olympics 49.46

I am not going to make the argument that she is clean, but 400m is sport where strength is just as important as speed. We saw in the trials that she is lacking in the latter as she got blown out in the 200m. Since she has made the transition to the 400m, these are her big meet times.

2011 WC. 49.59
2015 WC. 49.26
2016 Olympics. 49.51
2017 WC. 50.08
2021 Olympics 49.46
I mean wasn't Gatlin still competitive at 37?

I mean wasn't Gatlin still competitive at 37?
Yep, he finished second behind the now banned Coleman at the 2019 WC. Then they set an American record of 37.1 in the 4x100. (Italy just ran a 37.5 for comparison).

Dude still went under 10s this year at 39. Probably would've made the olympics if not for a hamstring injury at trials. It wasn't too long ago that people marveled at Christie winning the 100m at Barcelona at the ripe old age of 32.

Reactions: Red Rick
What the f#*k has that got to do with anything? She had the baby 2 or 3 years ago.

Are you sure?
0y2f1DT.jpg

2011 WC. 49.59
2015 WC. 49.26
2016 Olympics. 49.51
2017 WC. 50.08
2021 Olympics 49.46

She is 36 years old & running faster than 5 years ago at the Olympics. Nothing to see here..

TRENDING THREADS