• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympics 2020 (2021): Harder to dope in Japan?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Those accusations are almost solely words of one man who fled the US in 2015, and has had an address there since 2011. A man who contemplated suicide and then blamed his wife. He didn’t get paid enough so he attacked the integrity of many athletes that contested their suspensions and won them in CAS. The last time I saw his face in the news he looked like a completely different person, like a slightly younger version of Scottish actor Brian Cox (of Manhunter, Braveheart, Rob Roy, Bourne Identity, etc fame). Before that he had a full face mask on with sunglasses.

I know in the Western world the flavor of almost every month is to target Russia, and this campaign spilled over into sports in 2014. Instead of trying to build individual cases, they went for the ‘state sponsored doping’ cause it was convenient and the media ran with it and that was also very convenient, went hand in hand with their theory that “Russia stole the elections…” (which has been debunked as well).

Hmmmmm

Are you trying to say that the evidence that Russia turned their antidoping infrastructure into doping infrastructure for the Sochi Olympics, which is why there is a weakass ban on them in the Olympics (ROC athletes rather then Russia), is untrue?
No answer?

Some help here: what events is he actually missing out on by hanging up his spikes?
There are quite a few Diamond league meets over the next few months. I don't know that he would normally travel to Oregon, but he is 4th in the standings (led by Ujah...LOL).

21 AUG 2021Prefontaine ClassicHayward Field, Eugene, OR (USA)GWStadium OutdoorWanda Diamond League Meeting
26 AUG 2021AthletissimaStade Olympique de la Pontaise, Lausanne (SUI)GWStadium OutdoorWanda Diamond League Meeting
28 AUG 2021Meeting de ParisStade Charléty, Paris (FRA)GWStadium OutdoorWanda Diamond League Meeting
03 SEP 2021Allianz Memorial Van DammeBoudewijnstadion, Bruxelles (BEL)GWStadium OutdoorWanda Diamond League Meeting
08–09 SEP 2021WeltklasseLetzigrund, Zürich (SUI)DFStadium OutdoorWanda Diamond League Meeting, Wanda Diamond League Finals

There are quite a few Diamond league meets over the next few months. I don't know that he would normally travel to Oregon
So he's missing out on three Diamond League meets, in a two/three week period between Aug 21 and Sep 9, blaming a knee problem, that's all.
The 26-year-old was scheduled to next run on 21 August at the Eugene Diamond League meet in the United States.

After that, he was to appear on 3 September in Brussels and on 9 September in Zurich for the season-ending Diamond League Finals.

With back to back worlds and then another Olympics, it is fair to take some time off. I would also avoid unnecessary travel the rest of the year if I valued my long term health.
And, let's be honest here, if you or me did the Olympics and won like he did we'd be so hungover at this stage we'd barely be able to walk for the next month, let alone run.

And, yes: why travel when you don't need to. Especially if the financial reward isn't all that much. With just $10k max per Wanda meet available and another $30k tops for the whole series, I imagine some local appearances could net at least as much, if not more.

None of this is meant to defend the guy and do as the Italians are doing and insist he's cleans, but when someone says he won't be running again until 2022 - five months away! - you think bad, but when you see he's only missing out on a couple or three races over the course of the next month or so the story shrinks quite a lot.

And, let's be honest here, if you or me did the Olympics and won like he did we'd be so hungover at this stage we'd barely be able to walk for the next month, let alone run.

And, yes: why travel when you don't need to. Especially if the financial reward isn't all that much. With just $10k max per Wanda meet available and another $30k tops for the whole series, I imagine some local appearances could net at least as much, if not more.

None of this is meant to defend the guy and do as the Italians are doing and insist he's cleans, but when someone says he won't be running again until 2022 - five months away! - you think bad, but when you see he's only missing out on a couple or three races over the course of the next month or so the story shrinks quite a lot.
True story.

I thought the payout was more for the DL final, but that is relatively paltry.

Last edited:
They don't pay appearance fees, do they? I've a vague recollection of complaints over what athletes get from Wanda. If you compare it with what a cyclist can get for a post-Tour critérium...
There used to be appearance fees in DL. Would there be a reason other than the pandemic that this would no longer be the case?
They might have more leverage with fewer races, but I don't know if that has changed. According to some of the ex-pros like Nick Symonds, he only got any appearance money after his silver medal and that still was like $10k-ish. He suggested that Bolt could pick up six figures, but Bolt is rather unique in the pantheon.

When you look at what the 100th ranked golfer on the PGA gets a year ($1.2m+), it is hard to believe.

Some help here: what events is he actually missing out on by hanging up his spikes?

Is start money a thing in athletics? I feel like those Diamond League events would pay a pretty penny for the Olympic champ to attend.

Still, there's going to be a lot of athletes across a range of sports taking a proper break after this Olympics, purely because of the Covid-influenced nature of their build up and competing. Obviously Jacobs is quite high profile, and some will be more suspicious than others.

Mod hat on:

I have cleared out several posts relating to politics, please let me know if I missed any after the thread warning was issued.

Again, political discussion is not allowed on these forums, we have very little wiggle room here. Everyone should be aware of this, it is in the rules and it seems like we are constantly reminding users of this. Please do not post about politics, we don't want to have to ban people but this forces our hand.

Cheers,

KB.

Reactions: JosefK

TRENDING THREADS