Olympics 2021

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, it wasn't the perfect way to do it.

In my club we always did "endurance" swimming once a year with 10K being the final distance, which meant you didn't have to do it ever again after completing it. I had failed the year before at the halfway mark, officially because I got a bad stomach after drinking some ice tea, which one of the other swimmer's parents have brought, but it was also partially because I was beginning to fall behind said swimmer.
Yeah, things like that are pretty annoying. At uni I had swimming as a subject (very academic, I know) and we had to swim a kilometre in less than half an hour. Easy enough of course but it was pretty demotivating being next to a guy I thought was at the same level as me and then after four or so lanes he just flew away.

Another of my friends didn't very much fancy not being the fastest (which he wasn't) so instead of just getting through anonymously, he chose to swim butterfly the entire km o_O It was on short course but still...
Why don't you, Vikings, do water polo if already so much into swimming?

Yeah, things like that are pretty annoying. At uni I had swimming as a subject (very academic, I know) and we had to swim a kilometre in less than half an hour. Easy enough of course but it was pretty demotivating being next to a guy I thought was at the same level as me and then after four or so lanes he just flew away.

Another of my friends didn't very much fancy not being the fastest (which he wasn't) so instead of just getting through anonymously, he chose to swim butterfly the entire km o_O It was on short course but still...
Luckily we only had a short course pool and the water temperature was also slightly higher than in most other pools. I was quite close to a Dan Martin level of skinniness back then, so I didn't mind that all.
We had to the last 100 or 200 metres in medley, but other than those 25 or 50 metres, I think I completely avoided butterfly, cause I never mastered the stroke at all.

Jul 29, 2021
I think race walking can be exciting to watch, but it should never exceed the length of the marathon. About two hours should be more than enough.
The main problem with walking is that there are too many violations, and it is very hard to judge and there is always someone who gets away with it. With this new age of video refereeing I don't know what is being done with this.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Jul 29, 2021
Sailing doesn’t make sense as a sport. It’s really only shown at the Olympics.
Sailing is a fantastic sport. The degree of tactics and wits is amazing. You must read the winds, see what your opponent is doing, choose the right path, think about the overall competition.

And outside of the Olympics there are several big events: America's Cup and Volvo Ocean Race, to name two big ones.

Well, you're certainly not getting any flak from me for that :)

I am quite annoyed with all these new sports, although after BlueRoads' write-up of the rock climbing, I think I will watch that at some point. It also sounds a lot more interesting than skateboarding and surfing (are you kidding me?).

Wrestling could easily go as well. What a ridiculous concept. Grown men trying to flip each other around. And this night our national broadcaster even cut from the first two semifinals of the 110m hurdles because of a freaking wrestling match that had the potential to send a Danish dude into a match where he could obtain a bronze medal! Heresy!
You want to get rid of one of the oldest events?

ASK THE COMMUNITY