• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympics 2021

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think race walking can be exciting to watch, but it should never exceed the length of the marathon. About two hours should be more than enough.

The main problem with walking is that there are too many violations, and it is very hard to judge and there is always someone who gets away with it. With this new age of video refereeing I don't know what is being done with this.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Sailing doesn’t make sense as a sport. It’s really only shown at the Olympics.

Sailing is a fantastic sport. The degree of tactics and wits is amazing. You must read the winds, see what your opponent is doing, choose the right path, think about the overall competition.

And outside of the Olympics there are several big events: America's Cup and Volvo Ocean Race, to name two big ones.

Well, you're certainly not getting any flak from me for that :)

I am quite annoyed with all these new sports, although after BlueRoads' write-up of the rock climbing, I think I will watch that at some point. It also sounds a lot more interesting than skateboarding and surfing (are you kidding me?).

Wrestling could easily go as well. What a ridiculous concept. Grown men trying to flip each other around. And this night our national broadcaster even cut from the first two semifinals of the 110m hurdles because of a freaking wrestling match that had the potential to send a Danish dude into a match where he could obtain a bronze medal! Heresy!
You want to get rid of one of the oldest events?

Weird that most of the talks here is about getting rid of events based on personal likings. Come on guys, Olympics should be for eveyone, or so I heard.

Although I'm still in for getting rid of skateboarding, bmx, and maybe rock climbing too;), they make Olympics look like MTv in the 90s.

You want to get rid of one of the oldest events?

But, as inappropriate as it was, they really decided to remove wrestling from the Olympic before getting it reinstated, didn't they

Last edited:
Gardiner has a god-tier stride, but might lack the flat 100m speed to break the WR. Very similar to Wariner in that respect. They also had to expend a bit more energy than the hurdlers in the semis and that looked to have cost James in the final as he ran slower than his semi. But it was a great race with 5 runners with a shot at gold in the home stretch. I expect a similar free for all in the women's race tomorrow.

USA and Jamaica were way out in front in the womens 4x400m. The US might change all 4 runners for the final too. The bronze battle will be wide open with Bol giving Netherlands a shot at another medal.

Reactions: jmdirt
What do you dislike about the judged sports? I am trying to understand yours and Libertine's view... you seem to place all weight on the "faster, higher, stronger". For me, especially in the knowledge how common doping is, I'm just hardly impressed by the numbers. I love to watch some athletics for the excitement, and cycling mostly for the tactical connections, but often I prefer to watch sports which have at least an extremely important technical side... which are often the judged ones. Could also be because I used to be pretty fast and strong, but have always been lacking in coordination... so my admiration for people with such skills is even bigger. ;)
When I answered yesterday, "judges", that was because I had about two minutes to answer and couldn't really articulate how I feel. This morning I still can't. I guess I just like the idea of a finish line, a knockout, the clearance of a bar, a mark in sand/grass, the button at the top of a wall, etc. I'm not young so I've seen quite a few Olympic events, and boxing/MMA matches get incorrectly decided by judges, and not by the actual performance. Granted the 'criteria' has tightened up considerably, and the full on rip off doesn't happen often, but you know where they happen...on the biggest stages. Boxing/MMA is interesting in that the competitors can end it and leave not doubt, but if they don't, the judges determine the winner.

Like I said, I really enjoy watching gymnastics at the Olympics. Even though things are way better now, there were times this year when I was ??! (I'm no expert, but the commentators frequently support my 'what the?') Even 1/10 here or there makes a difference. I have thoughts, but I don't care what I think, what do the athletes think?

As far as the extreme sports go, they are cool and amazing, and might attract a younger audience, but I struggle with some of them being Olympic sports (partly because they are judged)(keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has gone to Nitro Circus a few times). The climbing events at least feel more traditional to me. What could be more authentic than scaling the wall of a castle in a raid?

Ramble, ramble...

Reactions: BlueRoads
Weird that most of the talks here is about getting rid of events based on personal likings. Come on guys, Olympics should be for eveyone, or so I heard.

Although I'm still in for getting rid of skateboarding, bmx, and maybe rock climbing too;), they make Olympics look like MTv in the 90s.

But, as inappropriate as it was, they really decided to remove wrestling from the Olympic before getting it reinstated, didn't they
Uhmmm, that's how forums like this work. We talk about what we like, dislike, and why, then discuss.

Removing wrestling was a political mess that we won't get into here.

Reactions: gunara

TRENDING THREADS