• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Omega Pharma Quick Step: Are you kidding me??

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Parrulo said:
Are we witnessing the birth of the Flandrien Postal?

Meh it ended up being nowhere near as impressive as it looked when Pouls was keeping Kreuziger under control and Uran and Kwia were still looking fresh :eek:

It was good to see Xenon Porte not so strong.

And Horner some distance back.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
TailWindHome said:
No it wasn't

Sky were an super fast awesome force of destruction in 2012, unseen since the 90s

Quoted for posterity. I like how certain posters are trying to downplay Sky's performance, now saying it was an easy tour.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Well, yes. If it wasn't obvious before, it certainly is now!

Still plenty of time for Horner to get strong. And Froome to go full ultra-molte-Xenon.

When will there be a match race? CI?

Catalunya.

TailWindHome said:
No it wasn't

Sky were an super fast awesome force of destruction in 2012, unseen since the 90s

I know you are being sarcastic but this shows the typical mistake people take when trying to discuss doping.

Everything is black and white. Everyone is dirty or everyone is clean. Speeds are down or they are up. Riders are 100% clean or 100% dirty depending on (most of the time) absolute nonesence like - did they attack, or, did they perform better in tts or mountains.

Its perfectly possible that speeds were slower on some mountains and faster than others. As was the case this year on Grand Bornand for example when Madeline was climbed 8 mins below record but Col de la Croix Fry Rui Costa rode it faster than Lance Ullrich heras etc in 04.

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I know you are being sarcastic but this shows the typical mistake people take when trying to discuss doping.

Everything is black and white. Everyone is dirty or everyone is clean. Speeds are down or they are up. Riders are 100% clean or 100% dirty depending on (most of the time) absolute nonesence like - did they attack, or, did they perform better in tts or mountains.

Its perfectly possible that speeds were slower on some mountains and faster than others. As was the case this year on Grand Bornand for example when Madeline was climbed 8 mins below record but Col de la Croix Fry Rui Costa rode it faster than Lance Ullrich heras etc in 04.

Agreed

Also people see what they want to see rather than what is really there.

Though I suppose that cuts both ways.

TailWindHome said:
Agreed

Also people see what they want to see rather than what is really there.

Though I suppose that cuts both ways.

I think more the point, we all see the same thing but then the brain takes over and begins to rationalise what was seen.

That's fairly normal human behaviour for most. Especially Internet people.

And hitch is right. Data rarely points the the same conclusion each and every time. So by selectively pulling out individual datapoint to support a claim is effective for all arguments and conclusions.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Are we witnessing the birth of the Flandrien Postal?

Meh it ended up being nowhere near as impressive as it looked when Pouls was keeping Kreuziger under control and Uran and Kwia were still looking fresh :eek:

Mapei never went away. Don't call it a comeback.

I do kinda want to see a 1-2-3 at Roubaix.

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
I think more the point, we all see the same thing but then the brain takes over and begins to rationalise what was seen.

That's fairly normal human behaviour for most. Especially Internet people.

And hitch is right. Data rarely points the the same conclusion each and every time. So by selectively pulling out individual datapoint to support a claim is effective for all arguments and conclusions.

Then you have the further complication of the insatiable desire to be the one who 'called it'

thehog said:
It was good to see Xenon Porte not so strong.

And Horner some distance back.

Not so strong?

He did all the work to bridge to the Quintana-Scarponi-Contador move, then more or less stayed on the front until the sprint. On a ****weak gradient that has some impact. He shouldn't have any problems following the top2 if they decide to go on Lanciano given that its steep enough to make his lack of acceleration not matter too much.

TRENDING THREADS