• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Omega Pharma Quick Step: Are you kidding me??

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Check the 1st page of the thread. No one is defending OPQS, if you check the Movistar thread you'll find the same. The day these teams get fanboys is the day these threads match the size of the Sky threads.

They have plenty of fanboys already. But their fanboys have probably been watching cycling for long enough to know and learn what the culture of the sport is like. And they are probably able to separate the doping aspects of the sport from the racing aspects and still cheer for them while acknowledging they are doping.

Afrank said:
They have plenty of fanboys already. But their fanboys have probably been watching cycling for long enough to know and learn what the culture of the sport is like. And they are probably able to separate the doping aspects of the sport from the racing aspects and still cheer for them while acknowledging they are doping.

Well I remember the Boonen fanboy line last year was - Boonen probably dopes, but its ok because he doesn't dope as much as Cancellara.

When asked what they were basing the assumption that Boonen dopes less than Canc on (ignoring El P' who went off with his own warped logic) it was met with the strawman - "do you think all riders dope equally:rolleyes:"

The Hitch said:
Well I remember the Boonen fanboy line last year was - Boonen probably dopes, but its ok because he doesn't dope as much as Cancellara.

When asked what they were basing the assumption that Boonen dopes less than Canc on (ignoring El P' who went off with his own warped logic) it was met with the strawman - "do you think all riders dope equally:rolleyes:"
Which Boonen fanboys were that?

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
therhodeo said:
Seems that this thread has become more of an indictment on the accuracy of the human memory than the likelihood of OPQS doping.

Not quite the inference to draw from my additions to the recent conversation. The point of contention was the 96 P-R, where Museuuw and teammates finished 1-2-3, by a very healthy margin. My memory is better than average, way better. Always has been. Doesn't make it perfect - just what it is.

The question raised was not whether or not the predecessor team to OPQS was doping, but whether that race was some sort of public milestone in acknowledgment that doping had become a team effort and "everybody" was doing it.

Since nobody else around here remembers it this way, I'm going to guess I've conflated two bits of text and reportage that I happened to read during some reasonably contiguous timespan.

The Hitch said:
Wait for Roubaix though, I think they will tear that one up.

Yes Roubaix suits the steppers more, particularly Boonen. But this was still a very bad performance. If it had been only Fabian "Luigi" Cancellara beating them i wouldn't have given it much as, except for 2012, he has had the upper hand on them since 2010. But there were a handful of guys from different teams stronger than the strongest stepper.

I was damn surprised when Sep could follow Cancellara and not a single stepper could join them. :eek:

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Wait for Roubaix though, I think they will tear that one up.

Hard to say. They managed to screw up a situation where 5 of the 15 riders in the front group were from OPQS today (in order to entertain us with a rather enjoyable final). It's not entirely unlikely something similar will happen next week and those in front today will be in front again next week. At least it appears they didn't screw up doping, just tactics, today.

Apart from that: isn't Wiggo supposed to tear up PR 2014?

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Yes Roubaix suits the steppers more, particularly Boonen. But this was still a very bad performance. If it had been only Fabian "Luigi" Cancellara beating them i wouldn't have given it much as, except for 2012, he has had the upper hand on them since 2010. But there were a handful of guys from different teams stronger than the strongest stepper.

I was damn surprised when Sep could follow Cancellara and not a single stepper could join them. :eek:

It's not that surprising. Stybar is fairly overrated, not weird he can't follow Cancellara, Terpstra is pretty good, but you can only inject someone like that to a certain level. Boonen hasn't looked impressive in 2 years.

Sagan being so bad was more surprising. He looked completely cooked in the end, while he was still strong on the Kruisberg.

Next week will probably be different. A numerical advantage is more important in Roubaix, Vlaanderen is usually pretty straightforward.

Netserk said:
Boonen is over a year younger, and he has been on the decline for quite some time. Yes I'd have expected him [Chava] to be stronger on QS, but I would still have expected him to be weaker than last year.

Not this much weaker.

Quick step always had some of the best "fuel" in the peloton. Which makes it even more impressive how Luigi has managed to hand them their asses for over 4 years now.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Canc learnt loads at the old OPQS, Mapei, under the teutalge of LeFevere. Wonder does Patrick regret not finding the money to buy Canc back.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
IzzyStradlin said:
Is it just me or did OPQS look clean-ish/er today?

Most of the team really good over 200k, Boonen a bit off....as expected, nobody had much to give in the finale?!?!?

Call me crazy...but it's a thought.
You do realise who almost podiumed or not?

Big troubles at QS headquarters tonight, tactical nightmare today.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Big troubles at QS headquarters tonight, tactical nightmare today.

Yup. They were in great shape with a strong presence at the sharp end of the race. Vandenbergh covering GvA so Boonen/Terpstra could contest a win. And then Boonen's group slows maybe on orders??? I didn't really understand it.

DirtyWorks said:
Yup. They were in great shape with a strong presence at the sharp end of the race. Vandenbergh covering GvA so Boonen/Terpstra could contest a win. And then Boonen's group slows maybe on orders??? I didn't really understand it.

Vandenbergh looked cooked. OPQS should've brought it back, but didn't. They had the numbers but not the power.