• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 2024, February 24, one-day classic (men's)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm curious if De Lie is going to show up. He looked really strong at the end of last season and he reportedly had a great winter but he doesn't seem to be flying as of yet.
An ex-pro (forgot his name) thinks Lotto might have not prepared him that well for the classics. He was doing 7h training rides with 5.000 altitude meters, which is more for when you prepare for the Tour.

Reactions: Sandisfan
An ex-pro (forgot his name) thinks Lotto might have not prepared him that well for the classics. He was doing 7h training rides with 5.000 altitude meters, which is more for when you prepare for the Tour.

Yeah I saw that, it was Stijn Steels. I follow a lot of athletes on Strava and most of them seem to be doing that so I don't think that is unusual. Most Visma guys preparing for the classics are also doing those same 7h rides with a lot of elevation. I suspect that trainers have a better understanding than Stijn Steels tbh.

No idea if this will really have an impact on the race, but there is a bit of a change in regards to support on the climbs:

"With the 2024 racing season coming up, the Flanders Classics Race Direction has recently made a significant decision to introduce a new rule regarding a number of climbs in the various FLCS races. Effective from 24 February 2024 and starting with the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad elite women's and men's races, this new regulation aims to reduce the impact caused by team staff adopting random spots on climbs to provide riders with feeding or technical assistance. In doing so, team staff members tend to park their vehicles in unauthorized areas or on the course, which has been observed by the organization and reported to us by the local authorities. The new regulation introduced is also intended to improve safety for all concerned. Consequently, the decision has been made to prohibit the following climbs from being accessed by Team Support Staff, either for providing feeding or technical assistance or for parking purposes."

OmhcN8T.png
Don't think that would matter. If rider will get puncture on Bosberg the race is over for him no matter what. Difference for "bad luck" riders would be the chance to still get a top10-15 place, but they won't win either way

I don't think De Lie's preparation has been the right one this season for Omloop. They tried something different, long altitude camp and way less races (basically Visma style), but I think De Lie is one of those guys that needs race rhythm and confidence which comes with early wins. I expect him to be better later on the classic season, where he was getting a bit tired last season.

Steels comments were borderline stupid tho. The team that is praised as the best in the world hasn't done anything else than long hard training rides on altitude the previous years. It's correct that doing a 7h ride 3 days before a race might not be the best, but let's be honest, those Spanish races weren't his goals, so it doesn't really matter. It really felt like the typical analist that just says something because he has to be critical.

But yeah, in short, I don't think De LIe will be in prime form yet. I spoke to a DS a few days ago and internally they think the same thing. Opening weekend might become a bit of a disappointment for them. Vermeersch was already really good but we all know how that evolved. Beullens is also really good so I expect something from him, but De Lie, the DS in question said "from MSR onwards".

The weather will be bad tho, LOTS of wind and chance there will be rain too. And that suits De Lie.

Last edited:
I don't think De Lie's preparation has been the right one this season for Omloop. They tried something different, long altitude camp and way less races (basically Visma style), but I think De Lie is one of those guys that needs race rhythm and confidence which comes with early wins. I expect him to be better later on the classic season, where he was getting a bit tired last season.

Steels comments were borderline stupid tho. The team that is praised as the best in the world hasn't done anything else than long hard training rides on altitude the previous years. It's correct that doing a 7h ride 3 days before a race might not be the best, but let's be honest, those Spanish races weren't his goals, so it doesn't really matter. It really felt like the typical analist that just says something because he has to be critical.

But yeah, in short, I don't think De LIe will be in prime form yet. I spoke to a DS a few days ago and internally they think the same thing. Opening weekend might become a bit of a disappointment for them. Vermeersch was already really good but we all know how that evolved. Beullens is also really good so I expect something from him, but De Lie, the DS in question said "from MSR onwards".

The weather will be bad tho, LOTS of wind and chance there will be rain too. And that suits De Lie.
Being better later in the classic season is a good thing though. You can ask yourself what’s worth more though. Top 5 in De Ronde or winning Kuurne