• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
analo69 said:
OMFG. It looked brutal. I only saw it on TV.

Do you know approximately how many riders were left at Kwaremont. At that point the peloton could have chased the lead group down, had they not been so lazy. Pff. Abandoning the race just because of a little rain and wind.

Wrong race. That was KBK ;)

Bilan at the Kwaremont

analo69 said:
OMFG. It looked brutal. I only saw it on TV.

Do you know approximately how many riders were left at Kwaremont. At that point the peloton could have chased the lead group down, had they not been so lazy. Pff. Abandoning the race just because of a little rain and wind.

Less than fifty by then for sure. Devolder was one of those most obviously in deep trouble though I don't know if he'd already hit that flying trashcan at that point. It was really crazy out there.

We ran down to the Ronse Baan to watch the race pass by the other way, arriving rather too late. There was the usual traffic jam as carbound spectators and a couple of Columbia and Milram's backup vehicles were trying to get away.

Then, slowly freewheeling past us in the opposite direction to the race, keeping nicely to the cycle lane was Tyler Farrar. He'd obviously had enough and the relief was written on his face in mud.

I hope he found his way to the Garmin vehicle in the melée because when I later watched Sporza's highlights, Bennati was there thumbing a ride from any old passer-by! :D

A

Anonymous

L'arriviste said:
Here are my bits and pieces from the Omloop (the Muur and the Molenberg):

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their advice!

glad you had a good time. Im jealous as hell of both you and Neil :/

I know I am a bit late to this party and I havent read through the thread but this is the first time I have had a chance to comment since returning from Belgium.

Having watched the race pass on the Muur and the last 70km from the comfort of a bar stool, I was reminded once more why the classics are the best part of the season. So much drama.

The attack of Boonen on the Taienberg, very impressive, Roelandts, Boom attacking, Boonen puncturing, the formation of the leading 5, Nuyens puncturing, Gilbert attacking and then being caught and passed by the impressive winner Flecha. What a race, the classics are king they can keep the fake drama surrounding the Tour, this is the real thing.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Probably the best best place to raise this:

1 day always = classic?

1 day race of certain age = classic?

Monument always = classic but classic only = monument 5 times?

Just to clear it up for me :)

A

Anonymous

Big GMaC said:
Probably the best best place to raise this:

1 day always = classic?

1 day race of certain age = classic?

Monument always = classic but classic only = monument 5 times?

Just to clear it up for me :)

these are the ones i consider the classics of those five being monuments

outside of that, if its got cobbles, and its in february or march, and its in belgium, northern france, or holland i reckon it can call itself a minor classic at a push..