• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
stefrees said:
one important quote o saw earlier from scott sunderland was that they felt no pressure as they already have 5 wins (whereas garmin and cervelo have none), and didnt have home pressure of quickstep or omega.
That kind of stuff is just lame sports psychology, of course there was pressure, why did you think they led the chase for most of the race?

dimspace said:
Good team spirit, and spot on DSing by sunderland.

Downing, sutton and stannard worked their butts off for the first half of the race keeping the pressure up, protecting ebh and flecha, downing especially was a monster.

When flecha punctured hayman was right by his side ready with a wheel, unlike boonens teammates when he punctured, maybe QS instead of taking goes at attacking should have supported Tom, Chavenel could have supported rather than attacking. Sky then kept flecha and ebh rested for the end.

Good team spirit, excellent tactics. but its easier to have good team spirit when youre winning.

Little Details.. ;)

I dont think sky so much got it right, as quickstep and a few others got it very wrong.

Thanks for the video link dim, maybe tomorrow I'll go straight to that page so I don't have to read who won.

Haussler got caught, then kind of lead out by EBH, Farrar looked quick.

Well done to Flecha and Sky, maybe it's time to jump on the bandwagon?

A

Anonymous

Hats off to Ferrar, I think he was the big surprise of the day. I certainly didnt even consider him for contention. In fact, like most people i didnt even know he was in that lead group.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Good win to Flecha, I like the guy. Had some bad luck in Roubaix last year and was robbed of Ghent Wevelgem in 2005. Also a Spanish rider who loves the cobbled races.

Also credit should go to Niko Eeckhout (who is older then a 7 time TDF winner) who came in 7th.
:eek:
Flecha didn't have bad luck. The other riders who he caused to crash had bad luck!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

Downing, sutton and stannard worked their butts off for the first half of the race keeping the pressure up, protecting ebh and flecha, downing especially was a monster.

When flecha punctured hayman was right by his side ready with a wheel, unlike boonens teammates when he punctured, maybe QS instead of taking goes at attacking should have supported Tom, Chavenel could have supported rather than attacking. Sky then kept flecha and ebh rested for the end.

Good team spirit, excellent tactics. but its easier to have good team spirit when youre winning.

Little Details.. ;)

I dont think sky so much got it right, as quickstep and a few others got it very wrong.

My comment was meant with sarcasm, Dim... Sky have been very impressive! BMC were pretty dismal and QS weren't great either but at least showed themselves a bit.

18th Schar (came home in Farrar's group)+18
27th burghardt +26
60th Kroon 3:50
67th Hincapie 4:59
68th ballan 4:59

Hopefully a much better peformance in Kuurne but ballan isn't riding kuurne.

happy for flecha, suprised by farrar and haussler is looking good for RVV.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
You still think Flecha crashed intentionally?

Not intentionally but I felt he wrecked the race personally and his crash was bad luck for everyone else excpet boonen. Boonen basically rode away into the sunset. I would of preferred an attacking finish right down to the wire.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
Flecha crashed, it was bad luck, not least for himself. Crashes happen. Especially in Paris-Roubaix.

Still, he screwed the race up which would of been an exciting thrilling finish! Too be honest I felt robbed after staying up till 2:30am in the morn to watch that race.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Still, he screwed the race up which would of been an exciting thrilling finish! Too be honest I felt robbed after staying up till 2:30am in the morn to watch that race.

I really wanted Pozzato to bridge the gap up to him. Although if Pozzato did, he would had to attack Boonen straight away to have stood a chance.

A

Anonymous

I thought it beautiful that Flecha partially dedicated the race to Frankie VDB...moving stuff...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
In Flanders, is their a slight variation in how words are pronounced when people speak Dutch (since from what I understand, Flemish is a dialect)? Because I have listened to Dutch speaking to each other in Dutch, and then listening to the commentary on Sporza, and there seems to me, that the accents are a little different. Or maybe they are speaking in Flemish.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
In Flanders, is their a slight variation in how words are pronounced when people speak Dutch (since from what I understand, Flemish is a dialect)? Because I have listened to Dutch speaking to each other in Dutch, and then listening to the commentary on Sporza, and there seems to me, that the accents are a little different. Or maybe they are speaking in Flemish.

It's just an accent, same words. Flemish is a bit softer (zachte G), people from the south of Holland talk a lot like that to.
Sounds way more pleasant than most Dutch accents.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

Little Details.. ;)

What no premiere league analogy? Your losing your touch mate:p

How about this, aw those brits they sure can pay the best to play for them but....:eek:

Seriously, great job and about time he won one of the big ones.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Only just saw the race. Very nice to see Flecha win something again after so many years :)

He was quite strong, too. Let's see if he hasn't peaked too early.

craig1985 said:
Standard Dutch vs. Flemish is comparable to British English vs. American English: same language, different accent, and occasionally different words.

A

Anonymous

Some cracking team sky photos from yesterday... Our blogger Neil was at the start, the finish, and the muur.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
OMFG. It looked brutal. I only saw it on TV.

Do you know approximately how many riders were left at Kwaremont. At that point the peloton could have chased the lead group down, had they not been so lazy. Pff. Abandoning the race just because of a little rain and wind.