One Man Alone at the Command-El Pais Contador Article

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 26, 2009
1,594
0
0
dimspace said:
personally i think they are all as bad as each other.. lance clearly wants control and couldnt get it, AC was a complete **** on several occasions including leaving kloden out to dry..

For the 1,000,000th time, Kloden was not going to make the podium at all. What exactly is the point? Didn't you see the race? It was on TV and everything.

As others have debated, Lance likely was the beneficiary and ended up in a better position. I think THAT is debatable.

AC at least realized the position Kloden was in after that stinging 30 meter attack and stopped attacking. OTOH, Lance probably would have stopped, posted something to his twitter account, Phil would have gotten Levi on the phone for a gush fest and then Lance would have kept attacking ..... except that he is physically incapable of that strong of an attack.

Looking forward to 2010. Hope everyone shows up in top form.
 
Jul 26, 2009
1,594
0
0
Jamsque said:
The comments on that article are hilarious. I am constantly impressed at the ability of Lance fans to shoe-horn swearwords in to Alberto Contador's name.

Speaking of Lance fans, what is it with their constant chorus of "GREATEST CYCLIST EVER!!" All questions of doping aside, would Roger Federer be considered the great tennis champion of our time if the only grand slam he had ever won was Wimbledon? Would Tiger Woods be so lauded if he only ever won the Open?
It's the whole icon thing.

Like it or not, he has transcended the sport. (I am in the 'not' camp.)

There are millions who know ZERO about his on-bike exploits other than 'more tdf's than anyone else'. That's all they need to know. For so many dilettantes or others who are convinced he has made the world a better place, the argument is pointless.

If you can cross that gulf that separates your achievements and social relevance, the achievements, which were your springboard in the first place, are relegated to irrelevance.
 
Jul 26, 2009
1,594
0
0
hfer07 said:
Lance hasn't learned yet that "when you're on record, you're liable for what is being said on it, and anybody can always go back and revise it, compare it, bring it to the public,and confront it over and over again".....
If he pursues Political Ambition with this approach, I'd tell you now-he's doomed!!!
I think his political ambitions have faded along with his fading star. I think he is likely to play the Bono (from U2) role and be an ever present fashion accessory of Presidents, Billionaires, Kings and Popes without ever subjecting himself to a popular vote (I don't think people like that can deal with 4% of the public saying 'we aren't with you' much less 44 or 54%.)

1 man wasn't with him at the tdf this year and he has been attacking his character for many months and throughout the tdf, sometimes 2 or 3 times per day. That doesn't happen without forethought.

One man. Issues.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
0
0
ggusta said:
AC at least realized the position Kloden was in after that stinging 30 meter attack and stopped attacking. OTOH, Lance probably would have stopped, posted something to his twitter account, Phil would have gotten Levi on the phone for a gush fest and then Lance would have kept attacking ..... except that he is physically incapable of that strong of an attack.
Whoever called sarcasm the lowest form of humour? That there is some funny stuff.:D
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hugh Januss said:
I bet about half do, either following LA or JB. I kind of like Levi and wish you would come up with a slightly less obnoxious nick-name, the other seems to work for Horner though.
On your final point, while I don't normally make it a habit to agree with you.........................:D
Here is how I imagine the conversation with any rider who has real talent and a future goes:

LA: Come ride for me at Radiotrailer

Rider: I believe that I have a shot at placing well in the Tour.

LA: Do you know who I am?

Rider: Well, yes I do actually

LA: Then you know that ambitions are not allowed on my team

Rider: Look Lance, I respect you as a rider, but you have to know that if I am stronger, I will want at least the flexibility to pursue my goals

LA: On Team Radiotrailer, there is only one goal

Rider: Yes, yes, I know. You want to win the Tour

LA: Really, I just want to beat Contador

Rider: Well, you gotta admit, he cleaned your clock pretty well this year

LA: I'm older, I only had one year to train, I broke my collar bone, I was tested too many times and my blood volume was low, Contador rode selfishly, I was a team player, JB told me to lose, my mind was on this hot woman named Linda I have been trying to bag for years,...

Rider: Even if all of that were different, you would still have lost. Contador could have put 10 more minutes into you if he had wanted to.

LA: I would have won the 2008 tour

Rider: Did you ride that Tour in disguise, or are you guessing

LA: I'm Lance Amrstrong, I had cancer.

Rider: Look man, maybe someone like Levi will ride for you because its his only hope of getting his name mentioned in the paper anymore, but I am young and have a serious chance to do well next year.

LA: Do you know who I am

Rider: We have been over that point previously

LA: Do you realize the chance you are turning down?

Rider: Well yea, you will twitter about me if you perceive me as a threat, will make snide remarks to the press about me if I do well, will demand that you are sole leader of the team, and that even if I can drop you like a bad habit, I will still have to carry your bottles and kill myself at your every whim.

LA: So what's the problem?

Rider: Hey, look, there is a blond with C cup's who looks like your mother...

LA: Wha...where did he go?
 
Jul 11, 2009
792
0
0
TFF what is the best post that has, or ever will be, made in the whole world wide internets.
my mind was on this hot woman named Linda I have been trying to bag for years,...
FANTASTIC. Humour is the best way to deal with stupidity.
 
Jul 9, 2009
7,026
0
0
Thoughtforfood said:
Here is how I imagine the conversation with any rider who has real talent and a future goes:

LA: Come ride for me at Radiotrailer

Rider: I believe that I have a shot at placing well in the Tour.

LA: Do you know who I am?

Rider: Well, yes I do actually

LA: Then you know that ambitions are not allowed on my team

Rider: Look Lance, I respect you as a rider, but you have to know that if I am stronger, I will want at least the flexibility to pursue my goals

LA: On Team Radiotrailer, there is only one goal

Rider: Yes, yes, I know. You want to win the Tour

LA: Really, I just want to beat Contador

Rider: Well, you gotta admit, he cleaned your clock pretty well this year

LA: I'm older, I only had one year to train, I broke my collar bone, I was tested too many times and my blood volume was low, Contador rode selfishly, I was a team player, JB told me to lose, my mind was on this hot woman named Linda I have been trying to bag for years,...

Rider: Even if all of that were different, you would still have lost. Contador could have put 10 more minutes into you if he had wanted to.

LA: I would have won the 2008 tour

Rider: Did you ride that Tour in disguise, or are you guessing

LA: I'm Lance Amrstrong, I had cancer.

Rider: Look man, maybe someone like Levi will ride for you because its his only hope of getting his name mentioned in the paper anymore, but I am young and have a serious chance to do well next year.

LA: Do you know who I am

Rider: We have been over that point previously

LA: Do you realize the chance you are turning down?

Rider: Well yea, you will twitter about me if you perceive me as a threat, will make snide remarks to the press about me if I do well, will demand that you are sole leader of the team, and that even if I can drop you like a bad habit, I will still have to carry your bottles and kill myself at your every whim.

LA: So what's the problem?

Rider: Hey, look, there is a blond with C cup's who looks like your mother...

LA: Wha...where did he go?
Yah, that's probably pretty darn close!
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,279
0
0
Thoughtforfood said:
Here is how I imagine the conversation with any rider who has real talent and a future goes:

LA: Come ride for me at Radiotrailer

Rider: I believe that I have a shot at placing well in the Tour.

LA: Do you know who I am?

Rider: Well, yes I do actually

LA: Then you know that ambitions are not allowed on my team

Rider: Look Lance, I respect you as a rider, but you have to know that if I am stronger, I will want at least the flexibility to pursue my goals

LA: On Team Radiotrailer, there is only one goal

Rider: Yes, yes, I know. You want to win the Tour

LA: Really, I just want to beat Contador

Rider: Well, you gotta admit, he cleaned your clock pretty well this year

LA: I'm older, I only had one year to train, I broke my collar bone, I was tested too many times and my blood volume was low, Contador rode selfishly, I was a team player, JB told me to lose, my mind was on this hot woman named Linda I have been trying to bag for years,...

Rider: Even if all of that were different, you would still have lost. Contador could have put 10 more minutes into you if he had wanted to.

LA: I would have won the 2008 tour

Rider: Did you ride that Tour in disguise, or are you guessing

LA: I'm Lance Amrstrong, I had cancer.

Rider: Look man, maybe someone like Levi will ride for you because its his only hope of getting his name mentioned in the paper anymore, but I am young and have a serious chance to do well next year.

LA: Do you know who I am

Rider: We have been over that point previously

LA: Do you realize the chance you are turning down?

Rider: Well yea, you will twitter about me if you perceive me as a threat, will make snide remarks to the press about me if I do well, will demand that you are sole leader of the team, and that even if I can drop you like a bad habit, I will still have to carry your bottles and kill myself at your every whim.

LA: So what's the problem?

Rider: Hey, look, there is a blond with C cup's who looks like your mother...

LA: Wha...where did he go?
hahaha!

The script is awesome. Maybe Stiller can be the other rider and Armstrong just do himself...
 
Jul 29, 2009
85
0
0
Thoughtforfood said:
Here is how I imagine the conversation with any rider who has real talent and a future goes:

LA: On Team Radiotrailer, there is only one goal

Rider: Yes, yes, I know. You want to win the Tour

LA: Really, I just want to beat Contador

Rider: Well, you gotta admit, he cleaned your clock pretty well this year

LA: I'm older, I only had one year to train, I broke my collar bone, I was tested too many times and my blood volume was low, Contador rode selfishly, I was a team player, JB told me to lose, my mind was on this hot woman named Linda I have been trying to bag for years,...

Rider: Even if all of that were different, you would still have lost. Contador could have put 10 more minutes into you if he had wanted to.

LA: I would have won the 2008 tour

Rider: Did you ride that Tour in disguise, or are you guessing

LA: I'm Lance Amrstrong, I had cancer.
QUOTE]

THAT is some seriously funny stuff!!!
How the hell did you get that interview transcript???
You got Lance down to a TEE !
The sad truth is that this very same exchange will likely play itself out.

Look for an even bigger a$$-kicking by Alberto next year...unless of course LA can complete Ferrari's " Get fit for the 2010 TdF in 12 easy steps" plan.
Thanks for the great laugh, I'll be sharing this in the peloton.:D:D:D
 
Jul 26, 2009
1,594
0
0
53 x 11 said:
TFF what is the best post that has, or ever will be, made in the whole world wide internets.


FANTASTIC. Humour is the best way to deal with stupidity.

change 'years' to 'minutes' and I think it is even more accurate for our (anti)hero, LA

I have been wondering why anyone who has a serious shot at GC (AS) keeps getting mentioned in the press for RS. I don't think AS is brain damaged, so that just leaves media chattering like they do. Staffing radio shlock with anyone who isn't well suited to being LA's toady is gonna be hard.

I put nothing past Lance, but I have a sense that 2010 radioshlock is not going to go as well for Him as 2009 astana. I am excited to watch it though.

Funny post.
 
From another forum on the interweb:

Also interesting to note that yesterday JB was asked by someone on Twitter if the story about AC being left without a car to transport him to the Annecy time trial was true (as reported by El Pais, he had to call his brother at the last minute because LA used the car for family and Radio Shack staff). JB refused to answer the question, merely telling the person to "stop wasting their time" by asking. Clearly if the story were untrue it would be staunchly denied, by both LA and JB.

Suffice it to say Twitter has not done either any favors in terms of public perception.
 
Mar 18, 2009
14,634
0
0
thehog said:
From another forum on the interweb:

Also interesting to note that yesterday JB was asked by someone on Twitter if the story about AC being left without a car to transport him to the Annecy time trial was true (as reported by El Pais, he had to call his brother at the last minute because LA used the car for family and Radio Shack staff). JB refused to answer the question, merely telling the person to "stop wasting their time" by asking. Clearly if the story were untrue it would be staunchly denied, by both LA and JB.

Suffice it to say Twitter has not done either any favors in terms of public perception.
It is also nice that the team vehicles were not just used to take care of friends/family of Armstrong. Radio Shack people were taken care of as well.
 
Jun 18, 2009
2,079
0
0
thehog said:
Quote from Tom Boonen today: "I saw everything they put Contador through. I felt sorry for him. They were trying to crack him mentally"
Is this a new quote besides the one in the story?

Also, super sad to see none of the english speaking press going after this story at all. Apparently, all too afraid of LA.
 
richwagmn said:
Is this a new quote besides the one in the story?

Also, super sad to see none of the english speaking press going after this story at all. Apparently, all too afraid of LA.
Its a new quote.

Blame Cyclingnews. For whatever reason they won't print this stuff. Boonen said this in English for Christsakes!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS