• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

One Man Alone at the Command-El Pais Contador Article

jackhammer111 said:
http://www.velonews.com/article/93979/exclusive-video-interview-lance-on-astana-team-leadership

Yea, I know. Another Lance thread.

This close to the tour I think this is news.

If there wasn't so much scepicizm of Lance and his ethics I wouldn't bother.
Lance is the master. He comes across sounding reasonable, rational, and humble about the whole thing, but he manages to leave a door open, at least twice, for the possibility of AC clearly being the strongest, and Lance still needing to go for the win. After all, the last three days are particularly tough. What if AC cracks on the Ventoux and Sastre wins? Lance needs to be ready (and not sacrifice his place in the standings for AC so he can be there, just in case...).

A

Anonymous

Ninety5rpm said:
What if AC cracks on the Ventoux and Sastre wins? Lance needs to be ready (and not sacrifice his place in the standings for AC so he can be there, just in case...).

That's not at all what he meant.

He knows the team could rightly establish Contador as the strongest early on, and still lose the Tdf. He could clearly be to far behind by supporting AC to do anything about it.

He accepts that as the way cycle racing works.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
What if AC cracks on the Ventoux and Sastre wins? Lance needs to be ready (and not sacrifice his place in the standings for AC so he can be there, just in case...).

But what if anything....? Not very likely that AC cracks on Ventoux. Lance is just creating a self-serving argument here not to cede leadership. But it's a sport: he can do that.

Isn't Lance the guy historically who's had trouble on Ventoux? Feels a bit spooked about it, if I remember what he's said.

But I see your pt. on not sacrificing himself in case "anything" happens (not very ......though). [fill in the blank with your favourite definition, LOL]. Sorry, couldn't resist a good-natured fillip. :D

A

Anonymous

Parrot23 said:
But what if anything....? Not very likely that AC cracks on Ventoux. Lance is just creating a self-serving argument here not to cede leadership. But it's a sport: he can do that.

Isn't Lance the guy historically who's had trouble on Ventoux? Feels a bit spooked about it, if I remember what he's said.

But I see your pt. on not sacrificing himself in case "anything" happens (not very ......though). [fill in the blank with your favourite definition, LOL]. Sorry, couldn't resist a good-natured fillip. :D

he gave the race away to Pantini but put time on his rivals in 2000.

He finished 5th and lost almost 2 minutes in 2004 but it was only stage 4.

Parrot23 said:

In the recent French interview someone posted the other day Lance specifically mentioned Ventoux as one of the reasons he came back. He referred to it as "unfinished business". I'm sure he would love to win that this stage this year. Maybe he works for AC in exchange for getting some help there?

That said, the interview here was, I believe, after spending some time with AC - training for the TTT. No doubt there was some mutual bu++ sniffing happening there - and the net result was, "I'm not confident...". :eek:

Ninety5rpm said:
In the recent French interview someone posted the other day Lance specifically mentioned Ventoux as one of the reasons he came back. He referred to it as "unfinished business". I'm sure he would love to win that this stage this year. Maybe he works for AC in exchange for getting some help there?

That said, the interview here was, I believe, after spending some time with AC - training for the TTT. No doubt there was some mutual bu++ sniffing happening there - and the net result was, "I'm not confident...". :eek:

Actually I think this was just before he left to Europe and he hadn't had a chance to get on the road with Contador yet. That being said, I think Contador's showing in the Spanish TT and the Dauphine (where he was clearly not pressing the gas, but was able to EASILY stay with the leaders) demonstrated that the young man isn't messing around.

Frankly, I think the leadership issue is all sorted out by Saturday afternoon. As for the Ventoux, Lance hasn't seen it in how many years? Contador, Paulhino and Zubeldia rode it in June. Contador won't crack.

A

Anonymous

so the one thing he doesnt say is "Alberto is team leader"

LA to Velonews: To answer your question, I'm going to fill you with loads of sh*t on how the race should decide the leadership in the team, but by now you already suspect that it's me who's "entitled" to it - even if AC rebels and threatens to leave the team he better off have his lips clean to kiss my arrogant ***.........

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Isn't Lance the guy historically who's had trouble on Ventoux?

2002 TDF. Only hyper-doper Virenque and a break-away nobody beat him up to the top. Had 6:40 in Bedoin and 2:20 at the top - best doped French climber ever lost 4:40 to LA - I can see why the French believe LA must be on the juice.

If it's hot he'll likely suffer being so big relative to the other contenders, but I've got a feeling he wants to take a win up there this year if he can.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2002/tour02/?id=results/stage14

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
american psycho said:
but I've got a feeling he wants to take a win up there this year if he can.]

Yes, thanks for that, and Ninety5rpm, too, for these points.

I can see your guys' point: iconic stage. Makes sense: Lance would go out with a bang, lots of prestige--even if Bertie wins the overall. Draws attention to his campaign and sportsmanship (re coop with Bertie on final climb, but taking the win as the team).

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Quite interesting.
LA is already whining about it on sh/twitter.

Edit: Just read it entirely. Seems like LA is a bigger douchebag than I thought. Old fart couldnt get over the fact he's not the best. I feel sorry for Contador, but since he won TdF, he also won in that drama. Cycling better off without "The Boss"

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
LA will never really accept less than the maillot jaune and has failed this year, in his own estimation. He has finally seen what it is like to be left in the dust when an excellent attack, greater than he could ever produce, leaves him helpless without the ability to riposte. All that remains is to use invective on Twitter and to scheme a new attempt with himself firmly as team leader which should not be confused with team player. LA only profits from everyone's efforts - he was at it again this year - always on the back of another cyclists back wheel. This is what he means by "team" as long as he wins at the end. It is part of his self-inadequacy and attention-seeking pathology. He has exploited the TdF 2009 to advertise himself first.

A

Anonymous

Just read The Uniballer's twitter. What a complete loser that guy is.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Now if Bertie and Lance had been British the rivalry would have been a lot more discreet and humorous.

Swap his musette energy gells with tubes of toothpaste, put beer in his bidons, shake his coke can right before giving it to him. Pipe jazz music through his radio during the ITT.

Or maybe leave him stranded at the hotel before the last timetrial. Push the pace if he gets caught out in a split and put some time into him ... no wait ... hold on...

Anyway the rivalry seemed like as mortal enemies and the faster guy was always going to win anyway but as there's probably a lot of money involved and as at least one of the two cares a lot about money the rivalry gets deadly serious. Down with capitalism.

I'm sure others will be here shortly to tell us all that the article is an unsourced piece of drivel that is libeling the good name of Lance Armstrong. Love Mr. Armstrong's twit--everybody is always lying but him. I wonder which member of the LiveStrong Twitter Brigade chimes in first? My money is on LL. ;)

Just clipped this image from another thread (h/t Parrot). Seems that the Caisse rider is definitely not trying to hand the bottle to Lance (certainly looks like he is looking back at Contador):

15s7ngl.jpg

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Nice that Alberto talks with his legs, to bad LA was such a jerk to him during the TdF. "Everything for the team" oh sure Lance, as long as you're the boss...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I'm sure others will be here shortly to tell us all that the article is an unsourced piece of drivel that is libeling the good name of Lance Armstrong. Love Mr. Armstrong's twit--everybody is always lying but him. I wonder which member of the LiveStrong Twitter Brigade chimes in first? My money is on LL. ;)

Just clipped this image from another thread. Seems that the Caisse rider is definitely not trying to hand the bottle to Lance (certainly looks like he is looking back at Contador):

15s7ngl.jpg

It would have been hilarious if he yanked the bottle back once he realized it was Armstrong. :D

A

Anonymous

personally i think they are all as bad as each other.. lance clearly wants control and couldnt get it, AC was a complete **** on several occasions including leaving kloden out to dry..

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I'm sure others will be here shortly to tell us all that the article is an unsourced piece of drivel that is libeling the good name of Lance Armstrong. Love Mr. Armstrong's twit--everybody is always lying but him. I wonder which member of the LiveStrong Twitter Brigade chimes in first? My money is on LL. ;)QUOTE]

Why would we need to point that out when you just did it for us. I mean seriuosly you all expect to see any balance from a Spanish News outlet? I mean be serious. That article spells of serious favoritism, but of course you all would know that with your obvious one sided view on reality. It's funny one sided stories are all you need.

The fun part will be next July when AC is left without a true team that can protect him. The funny part of your picture btw is look who is leading AC up that climb. Interesting. HMMMMMMM!!! Now, please continue your spinning.

TRENDING THREADS