• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

One Race Riders : The guys who race for one race in the year (or two)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
Nit-pick much??:rolleyes:

It's called giving Pisti a bit of his own medicine, he is an expert in such matters. And was wrong :p

Back OT: What about Gabriel Rasch in Qatar? Never seems to perform anywhere else but always seems to make the front echelons.

Overall I think there are much less one-time peakers than there used to be 10 years ago.

Even Andy Schleck races Liège-Bastogne for the win and Montepaschi, which Toolrich or Beloki never could be bothered to do.

Contador deserves a mention here. Never more than 60 days of racing ... :rolleyes:

Mourey: Peak for cyclocross Worlds. (lol okay he races Challenge national :p)

Echoes said:
Overall I think there are much less one-time peakers than there used to be 10 years ago.

Even Andy Schleck races Liège-Bastogne for the win and Montepaschi, which Toolrich or Beloki never could be bothered to do.

Contador deserves a mention here. Never more than 60 days of racing ... :rolleyes:

Andy Schleck races Montepaschi?

Of course !! every year since 2009.

In 2009 he was 8th. He attacked in the famous Tolfe (1.1km, max gradient 18%, non asphalt) with 13km to go, with Hesjedal and Visconti. Unfortunately, 10 riders would come back from behind, including Lofkvist, eventual winner.

It was a terrific race !

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Echoes said:
Of course !! every year since 2009.

In 2009 he was 8th. He attacked in the famous Tolfe (1.1km, max gradient 18%, non asphalt) with 13km to go, with Hesjedal and Visconti. Unfortunately, 10 riders would come back from behind, including Lofkvist, eventual winner.

It was a terrific race !

I find it utterly hilarious that you say Schleck isn't a one race rider, but Contador is. Muppetry at it's best.

Check out your facts.

Every year Andy Schleck races more than Contador. About 15 days a year. Even last year when the UCI/CAS incited Contador to race the Tour of Italy.

Contador stops every year in July. I guess that didn't escape you.

Echoes said:

Of those 60 days of racing in how many is he ultimately attempting to get a high result---compared to Andy?

Echoes said:
Check out your facts.

Every year Andy Schleck races more than Contador. About 15 days a year. Even last year when the UCI/CAS incited Contador to race the Tour of Italy.

The reason being that Andy hates to train. It's my guess that a large portion of his training is done in races.

Echoes said:
Check out your facts.

Ok, but Contador tries to win all of those 60 days of racing while Andy tries to win the TdF, L-B-L and AGR.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Echoes said:
Check out your facts.

As has been mentioned schleck uses these races as training and never truly performs. Before toc frank in an interview mentioned that while he trained by himself Andy finds that difficult and prefers to do toc as training instead in order to prepare for tour.
Also if contador stops every year after july how come he has won the vuelta? isn't that in September, and he will very probably be racing the vuelta this year to win something andy would never do. Plus he would have raced the vuelta last year if not for having to race the giro.
To put it simply if Andy doesn't get results in any races apart from tour (and liege)how is he less of a one race rider than contador who gets results in every single race he rides (quantity vs quality)
(im not suggesting andy is a one race rider though ,just he is more so than contador or any other gc contender for that matter)

Echoes said:

So what you're really doing in a relatively sly and indirect way, is defending Armstrong. I get it now. Andy is now your conduit in continuing your allegiance to the yello band. Proceed.:p

TRENDING THREADS