• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Opinions on Wiggins

What is your opinion on Bradely Wiggins?

• Unfavorable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I still have a favourable attitude to the guy, mainly because of his track success, until this year I never followed him on the road, and really, seeing his "transformation" into a GT rider a la Pharmstrong and more notable for a pursuiter Berzin has made me think less of him... But I grew up 2 minutes from where he did and learnt to ride th track on the same track, although at an older age than him, so that still keeps me favourable. Something that may give credence to his Paul Weller/Cravat wearing style is that The Wellerman and I think some of the Style Council also live in the same neighbourhood in London as we did, so I can see him relating on that level. Luckily, Weller was before my time so I do not wear any cravats.

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
This has been much talked about in the "Wiggins Restricted" thread. ...But I feel the same way. I don't blame Wiggins for wanting to move to Sky, but all the Garmin trash-talking really soured me on the guy. I hope he falls flat on his face in this year's Tour.

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
mustachestaff said:
This has been much talked about in the "Wiggins Restricted" thread. ...But I feel the same way. I don't blame Wiggins for wanting to move to Sky, but all the Garmin trash-talking really soured me on the guy. I hope he falls flat on his face in this year's Tour.

And finishes just ahead of Armstrong :)

My opinion of Asso is pretty low these days (it used to be quite a bit higher).

Honestly though, I have no idea how Asso will perform at le Tour 2010 ... nothing he has done in the past has suggested he can win with multiple peak climbs, but that may not mean a whole lot.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Wiggo had an outstanding ride in the Tour in '09 for Garmin, and I became an instant fan. Neither do I blame him for wanting to ride for Sky: Money, nationalism, etc are powerful motivators and generally good for sport. But Bradley ultimately did Garmin dirty by his long distance legal shenanigans: For his methods, I disapprove of him, though I don't disapprove of Sky for employing those hardball methods as cycling is a very tough business (at the business-but-not-sport level). Can I separate them like that?:cool:

A

Anonymous

I think the key to Wiggo's continuing disrespecting of Garmin is in JV's comment about Wiggo not taking criticism well. I'd bet a few things were said behind closed doors that Wiggo can't/won't forget.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Millar/Wiggo comments are all a bit of friendly pi55-taking though, that the press jump upon and take out of all proportion.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I agree hibbles the Millar/Wiggins stuff just looks like banter to me, the stuff with JV is a bit more catty but they will get over it.

A

Anonymous

Hibbles said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Millar/Wiggo comments are all a bit of friendly pi55-taking though, that the press jump upon and take out of all proportion.

+1

and too many people believe everything they read in the press.. Brads ok, even if some people dont get his sense of humour..

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
This is actually going to sound slightly ***. I agree with McQuaid on the Sky-Garmin biff.

Wiggins jumping boat set a bad precedent. McQuaid said just after the announcement that Wiggins was leaving Garmin that the rules for team transfers will have to be audited and if necessary, made stricter to protect team interests and contractual obligations. Breaking contracts is a big deal! Anyone who has studied contract law and accounting theory (it covers a topic known as contract theory) will understand what I am talking about. There are levers, mechanisms and a deep reasoning of how contracts came about and why they exist. Jumping ship because you want to breaks most of the underlying theory. Is it right? I'll leave that to the thread to determine, but I've noticed more and more forumists stating a new found lack of enthusiasm for the Austin Powers inspired Brit on team Sky.

So yeah, I agree with McQuaid. Hopefully other riders don't get it in their mind that when a fat cheque is waved their way they can tuck tale and ditch their contractual obligations.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Come to think about it. Was it not Wiggins who gave the press the story about Millar not being pleased? A story he justified with reasoning that people on this forum have dismissed. Namely Millar wanted in on Sky, but apparently he has financial ties to Garmin which who negate him being interested in Sky?

Can Wiggins be taken on his word? Ask yourself, if this were lance and Contador, would you believe the guy talking first and saying the other has a gripe with him? I'll wait for Millars comments. Better yet, I'll wait for Garmins reaction on the road. These questions lead me to believe Brad is feeding the press some over strectched BS.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Garmin have been attacking Wiggins remorselessly for a month, while pocketing a massive amount of cash form his sale. Is it really unreasonable for Wiggins to make a few comments back?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
All the bike throwing, other tantrums, and some of the interviews he has given make him less likeable, and I'm not really that into team Sky in general for some reason, but I'd still like him to do well this year. If not, he's got enough money to last him a while. Let the guy have his chance to be a hyped up tour contender primadonna.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
So what, if people were offering you more money in your job, even if you did have a contract, you would be trying to find every way out of it, tell your employed to get ****ed and start for the new employer. Good on him if he can get it. You can call me out on it all you like, but I'm not going to be hypocritical here.

Compared to soccer, this is amateur hour by Wiggins.

A

Anonymous

I'm all for athletes getting what the market will bear. I'm all for teams AND riders honoring their contracts. For this, Wiggins is a D-bag, IMO.

If he's able to confirm his 2009 results, then good for him. If he can't then it will once again be confirmed that kharma is a bitch.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
I don't know, maybe its just me, but in light of his football comments, does anyone else notice the similarity in Wiggins and Wigan?
BTW, I voted favorably, but time will tell as he rears his ugly coif.:cool:

May 6, 2009
Visit site
gloryb141 said:
Then why do they call it "sport"?

I have seen African footballers who play in France (who are very good BTW), demanding they be sold to a bigger team (I suppose the Garmin reference can apply) in Spain or England, if they don't get sold, then 'f--k you I'm going back to my country of origin, I will refuse to play for you or have anything to do with you until you sell me to the club that I want to play for. I'm also not coming back either.' Wiggins, being British, just wanted to ride for a British team, didn't see him saying that he was going to refuse to turn up to races for Garmin that was meant to do, or refuse to turn up to their training camps if he didn't get his move to Sky.

Or in this case, where he just got on a plane to France without anybody knowing where he was, or without permission. That is far worse then what Wiggins ever did.

Athlete in not respecting his contract shocker.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Wiggo's a first class douche bag. His treatment of Garmin was completely disrespectful.

I think Wiggo knew he needed to capitalize on his 2009 "success". 2010 is going to be a different story. I don't see him being able to stick with AC and AS in the mountains. Thinking back to Ventoux last year, he looked absolutely at the limit while AC and AS looked as if they were soft pedaling. And his time trialing is no where near good enough to take the time back he'll lose in the mountains.

Enjoy your one year of fame Bradley. Because in a few years, no one will remember your lackluster road racing career.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Honestly would it be too much to say "my contract is still being negotiated". Vaughters got money, Wiggins gets money, Sky get their rider is everyone not happy? Then the remarks about garmin being a B team and Millar, true or not...a little much. Lacks grace and humility of a Sastre.

TRENDING THREADS