• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oscar Pistorius

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He cannot look any worse. His defense has an impossible job of trying to extricate him from this mess.

I thought all this was fake:
pistorius-AP-20140304.jpg

Some interesting twists in the case. Last week, one of the defense experts ended up admitting that neither he nor the ballistics expert in fact were experts in ballistics. Now a psychologist working for the defense admitted that just by arming himself and approaching the door, OP possessed an intent to kill.

Dolus eventualis is a form of intent in South African law where an individual foresees a possibility that a set of events resulting in death can occur as a result of their actions, and yet they recklessly proceed.

It is also considered murder and carries a minimum 15-year prison sentence.

The psychologist also claimed that Pistorius suffers from an anxiety disorder, implying that he might not be responsible for his acts and opening the door to a possible strategy aimed at having him committed to a psychiatric institution, rather than imprisoned.

"As one is increasingly anxious, one feels more and more insecure about one's personal safety, even though factually, one's safety may not be threatened," she explained. "So, by having increased levels of anxiety, you perceive your surroundings as being threatening, when maybe they aren't."

The law makes provisions for "mental illness or mental defect," which may prevent someone from either being able to make a moral judgment or act on it. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) has been included under this provision in the past.

In response, the prosecution now wants Pistorius to be subject to a thorough psychiatric exam. This would in fact involve committing him to a state institution for a month, during which the trial would be delayed.

From a true-crime forum, here is a list of Oscar's known temper outburts and other low-down behavior:

Sept 2008
At Beijing Paralympics he didn’t like the running vest and shorts supplied to him and wanted to go on the air and complain.

His roommate moved because OP was always shouting at people on the phone.

21 February 2009
Boating accident

10 March 2009
An accident happened on the N4 highway when a female friend of his knocked over and killed a pedestrian. OP prohibited press photographers from taking pictures of the scene. When they asked why he was quoted as saying “Because I am Oscar Pistorius”.

12 September 2009
Arrested for assault after slamming a door so hard that the top of it shattered and flying pieces injured a woman’s leg after he chased her from his house where he was having a party. The matter settled out of court.

28 October 2011
Incident at a concert where he was physically and verbally abusive to two women. He was very drunk.

May 2012
During workouts at the gym prior to the Olympics his swearing astonished mothers and children also using the gym.

2 September 2012
Suffered a shock loss in the final of the Paralympic 200m and lashed out at Alan Oliveira who beat him to the gold. He apologized the day after, not for what he said, but for the timing of it at the track right after the race in front of hordes of media.

September 2012
He was enraged upon returning home from London 2012 Olympics to discover that his girlfriend, Sam Taylor, had allegedly cheated on him. He approached Van der Burgh and swore at him about his relationship with Sam. At the time, Van der Burgh was sitting with numerous businessmen and was embarrassed by what happened. He then laid a charge of intimidation against OP.

The animosity escalated and Van der Burgh received numerous SMSes threatening him. Mark Batchelor heard about what had happened and began defending Van der Burgh. OP and Batchelor exchanged threats via SMS during which OP is alleged to have told Batchelor that he would break his legs.

September 2012
Fired his pistol out of a car’s open sunroof after a heated argument with a police officer.

January 2013
Fired a gun under a table in Tasha’s Restaurant.

April 2013
On his first public outing since bail he attended the Kitchen Bar Restaurant, flirted with several women and inappropriately patted a friend’s girlfriend on the bottom.

Several years prior to 2013
Drove over a dog that darted in front of his car, breaking its back. He got out of his car and shot it in the head without speaking to the owner who was shouting and screaming, got in his car and drove off.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Murder seems pretty obvious. He gashed himself on the stand when he destroyed his own self defense claim by saying he didn't mean to pull the trigger.

I'm not seeing much evidence of premeditation (or discussion of it) in the media, though.
but one could misconstrue this meaning.

lets take the defendant outta the equation.

but someone thought he was defending himself, but ends up shooting a family member/loved on. indeed, even through a bathroom door.

they admit they did intend to shoot thru the door. but the person they have shot, in hindsight, they have not meant to pull the trigger.

pretty clear that there is the ambiguity i have suggested, that you need to get thru logic in aristotelianPhilo101

ofcourse he killed her. not being a prosecutor myself, i would have liked the murder charger to be the murder of this fictional intruder. keep the squeeze out of it.

why could he have set the bathroom alight like operation shock and awe, are you allowed to do this in J-burg, or a gated community?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bosco10 said:
Several years prior to 2013
Drove over a dog that darted in front of his car, breaking its back. He got out of his car and shot it in the head without speaking to the owner who was shouting and screaming, got in his car and drove off.

this guy sounds like a caricature in a fiction movie.

wonder how he will do when he is sentenced to 20 years.

Well.. finally!... a verdict will be delivered by judge Masipa on Thursday. It will be a lengthy process that may last two days. She will review the entire case, and give reasons for her decisions. The South African judicial system is quite different from the US system, for sure!

Bosco10 said:
Well.. finally!... a verdict will be delivered by judge Masipa on Thursday. It will be a lengthy process that may last two days. She will review the entire case, and give reasons for her decisions. The South African judicial system is quite different from the US system, for sure!

Apparently she has to read out her verdict (which includes a review of the facts) which could amount to 100 pages!

Alpe d'Huez said:
Reading the early returns, he may actually skate (bounce?!) from all this. Crazy.

No shyte, even culpable homicide would be a joke.

This judge cain't even read her own report.

I only agree, that he is not guilty of premeditated murder.

But he is guilty of murder, not manslaughter.

If this is the best judge they can get, their system is in deep shyte.

This judge is either senile, or has been paid off by the wealthy Pistorius family, or both.

And did I hear it wrong?: She said Oscar didn't intend to kill when he shot 4 black talons into that small toilet enclosure! holy moly..

All that's left for a guilty verdict is culpable homicide, and even if guilty, I bet she gives him a few months of house arrest along with making a couple of inspirational speeches for community service. bArF

Bosco10 said:
This judge is either senile, or has been paid off by the wealthy Pistorius family, or both.

And did I hear it wrong?: She said Oscar didn't intend to kill when he shot 4 black talons into that small toilet enclosure! holy moly..

All that's left for a guilty verdict is culpable homicide, and even if guilty, I bet she gives him a few months of house arrest along with giving a couple of inspirational speeches for community service. bArF
Rio 2016 here we come. Has he written an autobiography yet?

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Bosco10 said:

The stuff I've read on Twitter (obviously a great source of information :rolleyes:) suggests that she only applied the murder charge to Reeva i.e. she's saying he didn't intend to kill Reeva, rather than he didn't intend to kill anyone. I would have thought that someone who was used to shooting a gun would have some idea that four bullets would kill someone.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Went back and read all the "experts" in this thread previous to the verdict. Sometimes people come off looking like they know a helluva lot more than what they really do.

Then the folks chiming in with HE IS GUILTY and will go AWAY. Without being their or knowing all the facts. Just hilarious.

I don't have an opinion on the SA system of justice. All I know is it is easy for people to second guess and back seat drive on all of this.

Some people on this tread "read" like idiots for posting such crap.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
thrawn said:
What is the punishment for culpable homicide in SA (if found guilty)? Very odd for the judge the adjourn when they did...

I think he will be found guilty of culpable homicide. The sentence is apparently at the judge's discretion, and can range between community service and a lengthy jail term. He is also likely to be found guilty on the various gun charges, all of which can attract prison sentences.

victorschipolrijk said:
I only agree, that he is not guilty of premeditated murder. But he is guilty of murder, not manslaughter.
I didn't follow it all very closely, but that's what I thought, assumed.

With the charges that are left to hand out, I would have to think he'd be guilty of most of them. But with how things are going so far, who knows?

the sceptic said:
cant believe he is going to hop from this.
FIFY. ;)