• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oscar Pistorius

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
Man, Pistorius's lawyer is good. Poor Lance.

Indeed he is good. He has Botha on the ropes. Fascinating to read both sides of the story. Must be difficult for a judge to determine which story is true.

The story that Reeva's blatter was empty indicates that she was on the toilet. Of course, if she was awake (like the neighbours recal because the lights were on) she could have gone to the toilet before the shooting.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Briant_Gumble said:
I think Roux said the wrong thing in court either that or the Guardian heard incorrectly.

Regardless he said you can get it at Holland and Barret or anywhere up an down the country which can't be true if you need to inject it.

An Englishman not getting the South African accent perhaps.

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
If we're to believe his account, and I suppose we are - for the time being, then we're dealing with a guy suffering from some serious paranoia!
First of all there's the whole sleeping with a 9mm gun under the bed.

Call me an American, but I thought everybody did this.

I don't buy the "cold blood" accusation. What I do believe is a crime of passion, heat of the moment thing. Neighbours have always said there was shouting before the shots, and there had been reports of a domestic disturbance before.

The day the news broke, the words "roid rage" were heard in this house, perhaps tongue-in-cheek. Now, the police are reporting there were bottles of testosterone and needles in the house, although the defence says "herbal remedy". However, I don't buy the big emotion that he's been showing. It seems like he doth protest too much.

My personal opinion. All of it is very sad.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I guess when Lance said to Hamilton "When your on the witness stand we're going to tear you apart your going to look like a ****ing idiot" he was hoping his lawyers would make Hamilton look the way Roux made Botha look.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
John Bidon said:
Indeed he is good. He has Botha on the ropes. Fascinating to read both sides of the story. Must be difficult for a judge to determine which story is true.

The story that Reeva's blatter was empty indicates that she was on the toilet. Of course, if she was awake (like the neighbours recal because the lights were on) she could have gone to the toilet before the shooting.

If they were arguing for a considerable time she could have used the toilet at any time during the argument as you say.

I think the 1st thing you do when you wake up in the middle of the night and hear someone in your house is wake your partner who is in the bed beside you.

That someone came into their room and then went into the toilet seems very far fetched.

From the hearing today:

In an additional revelation, police said they found two boxes of testosterone and needles in Pistorius's bedroom.

by Stephanie Gonzalez, Press... 1:18 PM

But Mr Roux (Pistorius' rep) said the substance was a "herbal remedy", and not a steroid or a banned substance.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
laughingcavalier said:
From the hearing today:

In an additional revelation, police said they found two boxes of testosterone and needles in Pistorius's bedroom.

But Mr Roux (Pistorius' rep) said the substance was a "herbal remedy", and not a steroid or a banned substance.

If it was a herbal remedy why was it found next to syringes?

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
tension said:
Has it been reported what the specific "steroid" they found was exactly?

The media, and often LE, doesn't know what an anabolic steroid is a lot of times. They think hGH is "steroids". Or like when McEnroe admitted to taking steroids which made him bat-**** crazy ... they were corticosteroids. Everyone assumed it was anabolics, because only that evil testosterone (and derivatives) makes you crazy and murderous.

Briant_Gumble said:
I think Roux said the wrong thing in court either that or the Guardian heard incorrectly.

Regardless he said you can get it at Holland and Barret or anywhere up an down the country which can't be true if you need to inject it.

If it's this stuff then my suspicion was right. It's a freaking homepathic "medicine". In case someone isn't familiar with them, homeopathic medicines do not contain anything! That's why it can "contain" strychnine or any poision.

Yes, homepathic remedies are sometimes injected. Doesn't make them any more effective. it's like shooting water ... don't know if water injections are illegal in sport?

Briant_Gumble said:
If it was a herbal remedy why was it found next to syringes?

Herbal remedy is the wrong description for a homeopathic medicine. Homeopathic medicines do not contain even a single molecule of the listed ingredients. Only the "non-physical" properties of the compounds are somehow transferred to the homepathic tincture. It's like a religion.

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
tension said:
If it's this stuff then my suspicion was right. It's a freaking homepathic "medicine". In case someone isn't familiar with them, homeopathic medicines do not contain anything! That's why it can "contain" strychnine or any poision.

Yes, homepathic remedies are sometimes injected. Doesn't make them any more effective. it's like shooting water ... don't know if water injections are illegal in sport?

Herbal remedy is the wrong description for a homeopathic medicine. Homeopathic medicines do not contain even a single molecule of the listed ingredients. Only the "non-physical" properties of the compounds are somehow transferred to the homepathic tincture. It's like a religion.

Funny Homeopathy was put in room 101 by a comedian on Friday see minute 22 on clip for detailed benefits of homepathy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b66zgoNjyK0:D

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Cerberus said:
In fairness while homeopathy can't do everything it claims it does have some effects. Cures dehydration for example.
LOL:D:D
In fairness they always tell you to drink water for an upset stomach, so maybe its good for remedy diarrhoea too.?

Tom375 said:
LOL:D:D
In fairness they always tell you to drink water for an upset stomach, so maybe its good for remedy diarrhoea too.?
thank you for the 101 clip... miss it here (on holiday) and my boyfriend got a good laugh.

i, however, would have raised my hand. i swear by arnica. i shattered my elbow and went through months (years) of painful rehab and three surgeries. in the very beginning, i had no choice but to take small amounts of oxy to get through a torture session. once i was able, though, i stayed far away (i used to go through withdrawal on the days off and it wasn't fun) and used only arnica. it helped me bear me bear the pain and, even now, works a charm when i overuse that arm.

make all the fun you want, but some homeopathic remedies do work. and it isn't just for suckers.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Most of the technology focus as far as I can see has been on he "exo-skeleton" (i.e. the stuff you attach to a leg) and less so on the interface between the residual limb and prosthetic. The main issue is that you are dealing with a dynamically changing limb (e.g. volume, shape changes through the day, let alone over time) and fitting it into a hard fixed volume and shaped shell, often nowadays made from carbon fibre.

The interface between skin and shell replaces the job of the missing skeleton - all forces are transmitted via the skin (which is why I think amputee runners are amazing, the impact forces are large relative to cycling). I could never contemplate attempting to run. Having a very snug fit is critically important, you do not want any movement as it creates shearing forces.

Although to be fair, there are some pretty funky computer controlled vacuum volume management systems, but they are unsuitable for performance applications such as athletics and cycling. More for everyday use.

My experience is relatively new, having had my amputation is 2007 and somewhat limited with only occasional exposure to other amputees (mostly at the amputee clinic and when I rode some paracycling events, with the world cup road race being where I saw the most in one place).
i guess there is only so much they can do with the interaction between the residual limb and prosthetic... it's a bit like feet swelling in shoes when you've been running around all day, non?. still, that's got to hurt when everything's not perfect.

have you tried a blade yourself? i've seen them on the street more often (usually with a tennis shoe at the bottom) and can't help but stare (mea culpa) and really really want to ask about it (but i've kept my mouth shut as i felt it was impolite)... are they more comfortable do you know?

no offence taken, I haven't read all comments in this thread in any case, I even made a moderately poor taste joke myself although I'm uncertain if many actually got it.
i saw your joke -- yeah, slightly poor taste but it made me smile all the same :D

There are certain types of low end prosthetics that can be quicker to get in/out of, but the liner and pin arrangement requires one to carefully place the liner over your stump (rolls on like a big fat condom), and often also then use a sock before putting on the leg.

In time frame terms, it's as if you had to say put on a sock and boot and tie up your boot laces before you would be able to stand and walk. If your liner is already on, then it's fairly quick.

The low end/cheaper prosthetics don't have the liner with pin - they are held on by the shape of the prosthetic being narrow above the knee and pressing in against the leg - they can hurt ripping them on/off as the knee is wider than the opening.
i think the above is important in terms of when OP said he put them on... in the heat of the moment, when he was scared and trying to protect, there was not time... that is, if we are to believe his story.

I haven't read the statements, just heard snippets via news. I'll leave judgement on him to the court, since they will have all the available information presented without the filter of the mass media.

All I know is a woman has died a brutal death that should never have happened, be it via an accident or nefarious action.

I was never a big fan to start with, less so after the CAS hearing to be able to compete in able bodied events which butchered the science and showed a willingness to play loose and fast with evidence and the truth for presumably a fame and wealth return.
very fair-minded. and thank you very much for answering what i was asking.

and, yes, we mustn't lose sight of her death :(

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
thirteen said:
thank you for the 101 clip... miss it here (on holiday) and my boyfriend got a good laugh.

i, however, would have raised my hand. i swear by arnica. i shattered my elbow and went through months (years) of painful rehab and three surgeries. in the very beginning, i had no choice but to take small amounts of oxy to get through a torture session. once i was able, though, i stayed far away (i used to go through withdrawal on the days off and it wasn't fun) and used only arnica. it helped me bear me bear the pain and, even now, works a charm when i overuse that arm.

make all the fun you want, but some homeopathic remedies do work. and it isn't just for suckers.

On holiday lucky you.. hope its somewhere sunny and warm..

I don't really know much about all this to be honest, were you using a homeopathic preparation of Arnica? or is there a herbal remedy?
The reason i ask is that most homeopathic remedies are diluted in water/alcohol so much that nothing of the original ingredient remains in the so called remedy. However obviously plants are known to have a medicinal effect if it was a cream with enough active arnica in and that active ingredient has been shown to have a medicinal benefit, makes perfect sense.
Either way if it helped you or your believe it helped you who am i to laugh.
It won't change my mind that homeopathy is general quackery though.
Seem to have gone off topic though. sorry folks i'll button it for a bit..
.. it came up because Pistorius was found to have homeopathic steriods in case you must know..

There is this on wikipedia on homeopathy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
ShrubberyBlue said:
Maybe that is what is needed in cycling right now, homeopathic steroids. Every cyclist will think they are doped up but will actually be as clean as a whistle.
T'would be good, I'm suprised Ferrari and Armstrong haven't come up with it as a defence, Homeopathic bloodbags:eek: