• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

other countries know who rules

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
daveinzambia said:
Hilly classics will go to the soon to be nationalised Colombians on team sky.

if there is something us Brits are great at in sport it is claiming foreigners as our own when they start winning. Froome, Rusedski, half the England cricket team

Austrians are better. They convinced the world that Beethoven was 1 of theirs but that Hitler was a German.

And that Kurt Waldheim was an international citizen.

Old joke.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Austrians are better. They convinced the world that Beethoven was 1 of theirs but that Hitler was a German.

And that Kurt Waldheim was an international citizen.

Old joke.

Yeah, especially the Beethoven thing impresses me still lol.

The French are just as bad though. They consider Tintin to be a Frenchman: blasphemy!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
I thought Chris Froome was Tintin. Now I'm confused.

250px-TinTin_Congo.jpg

You could be on to something!

El Pistolero said:
Yeah, especially the Beethoven thing impresses me still lol.

The French are just as bad though. They consider Tintin to be a Frenchman: blasphemy!

Theres a difference between convincing people of something and merely claiming it;)

Dont see why you are so proud of tinitin though. Its had its problems.

The French also try to claim Frederick Chopin and Marie Sklodowska Curie as their own.

Thankfully everyone knows Chopin is Polish, and Curies discovery is known as Polonium not Francium.

Parrulo said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/other-countries-know-who-rules-says-cavendish

"barman could you please bring us a couple of hilly courses, this brits seem to be getting a bit cocky"

on a serious note tho: this is all talk and he prolly has the flat Olympic course in his mind but this may be going a bit too far.

GB is so far behind the holy trinity of current cycling(spain, italy and belgium) that is not even funny and countries like germany, france, australia and holland are imo also stronger then GB.

p.s. oh look another cav thread!!!!! we didn't have one of this in a while

Cav backs up his bull**** with results. he is a baddazz mofo..
it is big talk, but eh? who else? a bunch of nearly was and also ran's
most likely. not 100% but damn near.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I just have two simple questions:
1-)What does Cavendish accomplish with his commentaries?
2-)Does he think the entire cycling community will begin to "fear" British cycling, because of his WC title?

:confused:

He probably just wants them to give him his gold medal already.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes, doing something in one WC makes you dominant as a nation in Cycling. :rolleyes: Other than this year they have had only 3-5 riders competing at WC's. This year is the 1st WC that GB have done something.

Parrulo said:
because they have much better riders for all kinds of terrain cept for the sprints.

i mean who is GB best cobbled classics guy? geraint thomas? i would say boom and langvelde are better then him atm, also maaskant if he manages not to almost kill himself somewhere along the season.
Albeit based on one Tour of Flanders performance, I'm not sure I rate the Dutchies higher than Thomas. Maybe the opposite.

who is GB best hilly classics guy? honestly i can't even think of one. . .

gesink, pouls (sp?), dekker if he manages to come back at a good level, mollema and a couple others i am pretty sure i am forgetting
I don't know, but I'm sure Froome will win all three Ardennes classics next year :p

GT's? well they have wiggins and frome

i rate gesink, mollema, and kruijwik higher tbh because they are all young and have shown a lot of potential.

for all we know froome can be another 1 hit wonder.

holland also seems to be getting more and more fresh talent each year so ya i think holland is much better then GB when it comes to cycling
Yeah, Holland have a lot of potential... we've heard that story for years now. They've never really lived up to it though.

And you forget the most important thing (maybe wisely because it kind of ruins your argument): Holland have zero good sprinters. Britain have the best in the world, plus a guy like Swift who is also better than anything Holland have to offer.

Richeypen said:
Also in GTs, its all well and good talking about potential by Between Wiggins and Froome they have two GT podiums and 2 GT stage wins. The Dutch riders you mentioned have.....................?
Well, a near-podium in a GT which included such (competitive!) stars as Valverde, Evans, Sanchez, and Basso. And Cobo, who had to settle for a spot in the lower reaches of the top-10.

hfer07 said:
I just have two simple questions:
1-)What does Cavendish accomplish with his commentaries?
2-)Does he think the entire cycling community will begin to "fear" British cycling, because of his WC title?

:confused:

I don't think he really had a plan when he said this. It's just typical Cavendish talk. Awesome if you ask me. It got his own thread again here.
If Cavendish was around we would have had a lot less to talk about.
He got in one of the biggest papers in England with this story so I guess that's only good.

Altough a quite cocky comment, but atleast he's bigging up his team more than himself. Be had of said I showed at the world championships I can rule a course like that they I would of found it more irritating. Tbh if were talking just with regards to that worlds and Olympic race then what he's said is probably true.

The Hitch said:
Theres a difference between convincing people of something and merely claiming it;)

The French also try to claim Frederick Chopin and Marie Sklodowska Curie as their own.

Thankfully everyone knows Chopin is Polish, and Curies discovery is known as Polonium not Francium.

Ofcourse they were Irish weren't they.

Holland better than the UK?

Hilly classics? Yes, comfortably
Sprinting? No, definitely
Grand Tours? I think Wiggo 4&2 & Froome 2 > TGBM 4, Kruijswijk 9 and Gesink 6,6&7
Week-long races? It's probably a narrow Dutch victory
Time trials? UK whups Dutch ***

I think UK cycling is in better shape than Dutch cycling at the moment.

The 2011 World Tour rankings (for all their failings) look about right to me....I think Australia are flattered by the points picked up in the TDU, and I would place them behind the UK and Germany (and maybe Holland), but otherwise I think it is a good snapshot of the current strengths of each cycling nation.

Spain 1427
Belgium 1184
Italy 1172
Australia 1082
GB 947
Germany 798
Netherlands 693
US 551
Luxembourg 536
Switzerland 470
France 416
Norway 390
Ireland 309
Denmark 285

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

If you'd do a a poll with normal people, I'm sure at least half would get Beethoven's nationality wrong. As for Hitler, everyone thinks he's German, but they do have a point there: Hitler was German as he considered Austria to be German.

Come to think of it, isn't there a Polish Tour winner, but with a French nationality? I remember reading that somewhere :D

Tintin is cool by the way, if you can get past the racial slur in the first few albums :D (and the constant antisemitism)

barmaher said:
Holland better than the UK?

Hilly classics? Yes, comfortably
Sprinting? No, definitely
Grand Tours? I think Wiggo 4&2 & Froome 2 > TGBM 4, Kruijswijk 9 and Gesink 6,6&7
Week-long races? It's probably a narrow Dutch victory
Time trials? UK whups Dutch ***

I think UK cycling is in better shape than Dutch cycling at the moment.
Weeklong races, a Dutch victory? Wiggo won the Dauphiné, that's worth more than a Tirreno + Basque podium (Gesink) and a Suisse podium (Kruijswijk) IMO.

I'm not sure I'd rate 2nd at the Vuelta above 6th in the Tour though.

The 2011 World Tour rankings (for all their failings) look about right to me....I think Australia are flattered by the points picked up in the TDU, and I would place them behind the UK and Germany (and maybe Holland), but otherwise I think it is a good snapshot of the current strengths of each cycling nation.
Lol. GB ahead of Holland is still somewhat debatable, but Australia is lightyears ahead of Holland atm. They won the Tour, plus a Monument, plus podiumed at classics and the Worlds.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The problem with Holland, that GB and Australia don't have, is that they don't have one big winner. A Dutchman winning any classic or Grand Tour would a bit of a surprise. Except at the Vuelta perhaps.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
The problem is that, unless someone gets a big new sponsor during the season, there's no way Cobo will get a GT-winner's wages. He'll have to settle for a relatively modest salary. And yeah, he won the Vuelta, but I don't think many teams trust him to repeat that kind of performance. It's a risky investment.

astana will probably pay him a lot. if a rider gets paid very low like cobo next year then he will be sure to leave immediatelty after next year because he feels screwed.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The only consistent winner in GB is Cavendish though.. So not really something that shines in GTs or classics (besides MSR) either..

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Havetts said:
The only consistent winner in GB is Cavendish though.. So not really something that shines in GTs or classics (besides MSR) either..

It's still better than NOTHING. With Chris Froome, Wiggins and Cavendish they just have 3 cyclists who are better than everything the Dutch have. Perhaps Gesink is equal in GTs than Froome and Wiggins, we'll see.

Havetts said:

Swift picked up 5 wins this season. Against decent opposition as well.

CQ ranking have GB about 300pts above the Netherlands, pretty damn close over the course of a season.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
the problem with gb though is they have basically one major top rider cavendish, also wiggins and perhaps froome can be strong. but netherlands has in numbers more subtopriders and big talents that can score a lot of points even if gesinks sucks majorly hard as this year

Ryo Hazuki said:
the problem with gb though is they have basically one major top rider cavendish, also wiggins and perhaps froome can be strong. but netherlands has in numbers more subtopriders and big talents that can score a lot of points even if gesinks sucks majorly hard as this year

Wiggins is a top, top rider. He's confirmed that this year. I'd certainly put him up in the world's top 10 riders, no question.

Elsewhere, we have plenty of 'subtopriders'. Froome, Swift, Millar, Thomas, Stannard, Cummings, Dowsett. You don't control a WC race without that.

As has been pointed out, the only area where the Dutch have a clear advantage is the hilly classics.

TRENDING THREADS