• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

other countries know who rules

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
He lost four minutes on this:
stage2.gif

That was whilst wearing the leader's jersey and after 143 riders out of 160 in the race contested the sprint.
That looks like a mountain stage of the giro with that silly profile though! But yeah, was hilarious seeing the leader's jersey being the only guy who got dropped on the "climb", which was like 700 meters at 4% or so.

Hawkwood said:
I doubt you'd need to look far back in Froome's ancestry to find English/British blood, as Froome is a English/British surname. Otherwise I agree with your point, Rudsedki's hardly a British name.

To put an end to this, Froome's grandparents come from the UK and still live there (source).

Ahah this guy Cavendish is a real character:) He's a brilliant bike rider but his mouth is just to large to be real class. Still, I think it's all part of his charisma, and it's what makes me like him over the boring guys that don't say anything remotely insulting to anyone.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
trevim said:
Ahah this guy Cavendish is a real character:) He's a brilliant bike rider but his mouth is just to large to be real class. Still, I think it's all part of his charisma, and it's what makes me like him over the boring guys that don't say anything remotely insulting to anyone.

best post ever. cavendish and cancellara FTW.

There's obviously a bit of baiting in what Cav says, but he is praising the whole team. On a course like the 2011 Worlds or the 2012 Olympics, the GB team would be regarded as the strongest. However, with only five men in a team the Olympics are going to be much more difficult to control.

With regard to Guardini, he reminds me of Ivan Quaranta. Ivan was seen to be the successor to Cippollini when he won several stages of the Giro at the turn of the millenium. His climbing skills were never great, but unfortunately by the middle of the naughties he was pretty much guaranteed to be dropped unless it was a pan flat course. For Guardini's sake I hope his climbing skills go the other way.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Tank Engine said:
There's obviously a bit of baiting in what Cav says, but he is praising the whole team. On a course like the 2011 Worlds or the 2012 Olympics, the GB team would be regarded as the strongest. However, with only five men in a team the Olympics are going to be much more difficult to control.

With regard to Guardini, he reminds me of Ivan Quaranta. Ivan was seen to be the successor to Cippollini when he won several stages of the Giro at the turn of the millenium. His climbing skills were never great, but unfortunately by the middle of the naughties he was pretty much guaranteed to be dropped unless it was a pan flat course. For Guardini's sake I hope his climbing skills go the other way.

I wouldn't call the British team the strongest at the Olympics. One of the strongest perhaps, but there are other countries who can put an as good team together.

El Pistolero said:
I wouldn't call the British team the strongest at the Olympics. One of the strongest perhaps, but there are other countries who can put an as good team together.

If others are as strong, then the Brits are still the strongest (along with possibly others) :p

I'd like to see a 5 man national squad that would be stronger on a reasonably flat course than Cav, Wiggo, Froome, Millar (not sure if he's eligible) +1 other (I'm guessing that Geraint won't be riding as he'll be concentrating on the track :(, otherwise he'd be the obvious choice).

The Germans would have a very good team. USA maybe.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Tank Engine said:
If others are as strong, then the Brits are still the strongest (along with possibly others) :p

I'd like to see a 5 man national squad that would be stronger on a reasonably flat course than Cav, Wiggo, Froome, Millar (not sure if he's eligible) +1 other (I'm guessing that Geraint won't be riding as he'll be concentrating on the track :(, otherwise he'd be the obvious choice).

The Germans would have a very good team. USA maybe.

Belgians as well :p

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Fus087 said:
Guardini right now is better than the Cavendish of 2007, but not yet at the Cavendish of 2008.
I mean, his non-existing climbing skills are so cliché it isn't even funny anymore.
Awesome sprint, but apart from that... well.
If Guardini can improve his strength on hills (heck, if he can develop any sort of strength on hills), there may be something about the talk.

And the same goes for Kittel, really.

I think we should give Guardini some credit as he's only 21 and just completed his first pro year, so I'm confident over time he will gradually get better on the hills, if he's still like this in five year's time then I think we have problems. But 11wins is not to be sniffed at, in fact I would be impressed if he won half that amount.

Michielveedeebee said:
Cavendish, Greipel, Farrar, Boonen,GVA,Gilbert :p

True, the Belgians will have a strong team. They'd prefer a harder course though. If Gilbert is focusing on the World Championships (an ideal course for him), he may well not peak for the Olympics. Boonen and GvA may well finish high up, but it'd have to be from a much diminished peloton in Tom's case and a breakaway in Greg's case, so I see them as less likely winners.

c&cfan said:
best post ever. cavendish and cancellara FTW.
I don't rate Cancellara's interviews at the same level :) All that talk about the gladiator and stuff like that made it hard for me to cheer for him this year. But one thing he knew: he was alone against the rest of the world since his team proved to be a disgrace. Oh and his tactics too, I mean attacking 60km out in Flanders....

A bit off-topic but I want to see Cancellara stage-hunting at.... stage races. I mean a world class rider like him shouldn't be satisfied just by baby-sitting the Schlecks and go for the TT's. Just imagine him and Hushovd going head to head in the Aubisque descent! That's what he should be doing:D

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
trevim said:
I don't rate Cancellara's interviews at the same level :) All that talk about the gladiator and stuff like that made it hard for me to cheer for him this year. But one thing he knew: he was alone against the rest of the world since his team proved to be a disgrace. Oh and his tactics too, I mean attacking 60km out in Flanders....

A bit off-topic but I want to see Cancellara stage-hunting at.... stage races. I mean a world class rider like him shouldn't be satisfied just by baby-sitting the Schlecks and go for the TT's. Just imagine him and Hushovd going head to head in the Aubisque descent! That's what he should be doing:D

that's what i've been saying since like forever!!!!! why team up with/babysit andy? why not be a team leader? if he wanted, he could've won both TTs and one or two stages. (not mentioning motivation effect, being protected instead of protecting, etc). maybe the money talks louder..

I think Bradley Wiggins' article was better. I think the GB team deserve to be considered one of the better country but only in road and Track. This year they did not win so much in track and screwed up the Vuelta. They then won the WC ( congrats to all of them ). However Australia won many medals track, has an exciting BMX program and other off road events came 2nd at WC and won the TDF.

And Spain, Italy, France and Belgium are the heartlands of cycling.

I think Cav will not win the Olympic RR. Goss will have learnt from the WC and Cav will somewhere get dropped. Also a crash might happen.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that the original Cav quote was a misprint, he was talking about how GB qualified the max number of riders for the worlds and said '...other countries know the rules' which got printed as 'other countries know who rules'
am I the only one who read this? it kinda makes more sense then Cav saying team GB rules!

CobbleStoner said:
I thought I read somewhere that the original Cav quote was a misprint, he was talking about how GB qualified the max number of riders for the worlds and said '...other countries know the rules' which got printed as 'other countries know who rules'
am I the only one who read this? it kinda makes more sense then Cav saying team GB rules!

Certainly not as sensational but either way you read it he isn't really making any great grounbreaking statements. It's more fun with Cav to dress it up in the most outrageous way possible.

Does anyone else whilst reading Cavs quotes stop for his mandatory gulp between sentances.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
I think Cavendish is the difference between Britain and Germany, USA, Belgium. Rather than the domestiques available I mean.

Exactly.

The Brits were one of the few who wanted to keep the whole pack together during a race that was perfect for doing just that.

If Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain or Australia had had the best sprinter in the peloton (and therefore the incentive to do all that work), they could have easily done the same. What the British team did, wasn't that impressive or out of the ordinary, especially since the other teams didn't even make it very difficult. Most of 'em didn't even bother trying, resulting in one of the dullest WC's in cycling history, even the dude from Hong Kong was still in the pack during the last lap :rolleyes:.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:

Yep I made this post on the Olympics thread and the 4 mins later CN chnaged the title of the piece - if had to do with my post who knows .

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/other-countries-know-the-rules-says-cavendish

For the world champs it was about getting GB up front,” Cavendish told The Telegraph. “We showed the world we can control the championships; not just win, but control how the whole race panned out. That’s quite a dominating thing to have. Psychologically, the other teams now know who rules.”

To which CN made the following headline

Other countries "know the rules," says Cavendish

TRENDING THREADS