• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Outside Of Here

A

Anonymous

what do you get up to.. obviously we all ride, or have ridden in the past, or have an intrest in cycling...

what else...

me..

liverpool fan for 30 years, only things more important are the wife and the cats

music, do a few festivals in the uk, and also occasionally involved in gig promotion, put on one at a major venue in the city, and a once yearly multi artist event in august, and odd bit here and there, occasional cd design, poster design for people, and do the design work for a local arts magazine..

so i guess im a liverpool supporting arty hippy.. :D

all about me here> http://www.dimspace.co.uk well, all our photos, the magazine site, and my music promo/design site (dont do much, maybe three or four things a year)

We're allowed a life outside of Cyclingnews? What an idea!

I devote a lot of time to my husband, son, cat and house. I read everything I can get my hands on. (My idea of dying of boredom is being on a trans-atlantice flight with nothing to read).

I love to cook and bake.

My main hobby seems to be traveling and planning vacations. We are still bound to the US by family ties, so we go there several times a year. We combine time with my mom with travels around the east coast of the US. I love planning trips, so I have several planned far in advance already.

Susan

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Chess and family (though not in that order) occupy any spare time I can find when I'm not riding. I had a professional trial with a UK football club what seems like a lifetime ago, but I gave up playing after my first child was born (I now have three).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I do not have kids, but life is still quite busy (especially after spending time on the CN forum!). Apart from riding, which thankfully my wife also enjoys, I enjoy photography and scuba diving. I recently sold my Cervelo R3 and bought a really sweet lens (70-200 mm f2.8) with part of the proceeds from the sale. Now I am in a more-or-less land-locked province, I don't dive as much as I used to. There's the local quarries and some nice diving in the Great Lakes, but they don't hold much appeal compared to the southern NSW coast or Great Barrier Reef. I would like to start learning guitar this winter and get better at cross-country skiing. Other than that, we travel a lot and this is usually based around work conferences. This is good and bad because we go to places we wouldn't usually chose, but we don't go to places we want to go to and then there is the time spent at conferences. We would like to go on safari in Africa (I have been to Kruger National Park once and loved it), to South America, and to Italy and India (me for the tigers and my wife for fabrics).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I would concur with badboyberty for the last three years, but now my son is about to turn 3 and shows genuine interest and remarkable ability (no bias there at all :eek:) in both bikes and skiing...so I'm spending more and more time with him on both. He took his first real digger on his like-a-bike this past weekend going 15KPHish full on into a garage! I've made a pretty big deal out of the goose egg on his forehead and he proudly shows it off at school :D. Helmet was basically bypassed by the handlebars...

Mom...not so proud or pleased with me...

We're tackling slalom this winter and I almost can't wait for the snow to get here...almost. Need to squeeze as many rides in as I can before that happens though.

Like Susan mentioned we have family ties to the states so we travel back and forth quite a bit and we even get my family over here occasionally. We also do quite a few shorter trips to cabins in the mountains and down to the coast.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I more or less like most sports. My favourite Italian football (sorry soccer) team is Inter Milan, and I have been to several games of theirs. Travel is a big passion and so far I have done 19 countries in three continents. Photography is a big thing for me. Might post up some work of mine in the near future.

Outside of riding i play water polo. Riding and water polo are not really a good combination. In water polo it is a distinct advantage to be top heavy ie. really strong and built like a tank, whilst in cycling as you know the lighter you are the easier to go uphill. So at the moment i'm just trying to find that happy-medium (for lack of better wording) that will give me balance between both sports without placing myself at a disadvantage in either.

I'm still working on it...........

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I play football, watch it, love it.
Don't eally go for anyone in the epl, just support the teams with dutch riders really haha. Hoping for a good world cup.
To be honest I'm just a casual rider. never raced, but I do ride a few times a week.

Other than cycling, my hobbies are mostly sports related. Play cricket, golf, table-tennis, and football. I am a football referee which is always fun when watching games with friends at home or down the local and explaining the laws of the game every five seconds, hope to work on becoming a commissaire in the next year or two, and take my umpiring course as well. Outside of sports I enjoy travelling, reading, gaming, golf course designing (more to it than it looks) and general internet browsing.

After all the time I spend on those, the rest is usually spent watching TV and DVD's which is generally comedy and drama, though every now and again i'll watch a few documentaries on subjects of interest like engineering feats and disasters natural or otherwise, though that is because I like to see how they teach people to change procedures and ways of working to stop them from happening again or reducing their impact.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I have an 18 month old son who takes up a whole lot of my spare time. Anything left from that, I like to spend time with my wife and read and write fiction.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Well I own business, run a cycling academy have a 7 yr old son who has won a couple junior mountain bike races already, my 4 yr old just girl likes unicorns

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Lovely wife and we are getting our first cat next saturday.
Lots of spare time since I only work 32 hours a week.

Like going out for food and drinks (we do it almost daily), reading, watching sports(cycling, football, am. football, baseball, tennis, basketball, athletics),gaming and browsing the internet for news and tv shows.
Don't get on the bike that much anymore since I smoke and drink a bit too much and getting on a bike is only fun for the first 10km, after that it becomes torture.

Long time fan of Sparta Rotterdam (football).

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I'am going to school. Have a lot of homework every week.

I like soccer also. I'am a Heracles fan and i visit footbal games from Heracles (Almelo) and Fc Twente (Enschede)

I am watching sports (Formula 1 motorsport). Sometimes i will ride on my bike.

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Used to spend practically all my spare time cycling but gave that up because of accidents/injuries.

Now spend all of my time wishing I was on a bike again! But seriously, now spend most of my time travelling, learning to cook (wife is a chef), building websites and taking photos. Spent most of the summer shooting weddings but spend my winters building websites and shooting interiors / studio portraits etc.

Damn hard work working as a photographer but get to travel because of it and meet some really decent people.

I currently work in a fancy hotel but wouldnt call it a career, I just seem to fall back into working in bars, especially Irish Bars which is useful when I want to live abroad. Have done a variety of other jobs but still trying to figure out what to do with my life and where to live.

Travelling definitely having lived in 6 countries and visited 40. A lot of the places I have visited have been places I seen pictures of in cycling magazines, races etc. The Dolomites were truly amazing, Passo Pordoi, Sella, Val Gardena, Marmolada, San Pellegrino. I prefer the Dolomites over the Alps or Pyrenees.

I enjoy watching sports especially football, soccer & the Irish version, Gaelic football, rugby & sometimes other sports, I went through a period of getting into the local sports whilst living in other countris and having the local team come good whilst I followed them. I started following Birmingham City 00/01 and they made it back to the Premier League. I then lived in Maine,USA in 01/02 and the local NFL team, NE Patriots surprisingly became Superbowl champions, Red Sox finally won a world series. Then when I lived in Sydney 04/05, the Swans(AFL) won a title and the NSW Waratahs reached the Super 14(Rugby Union) Final for the first time. My luck has changed since then however.

I have been trying to regain fitness ever since I was 19, I have fits of cycling but havent touched the bike in 2-3 months, the weather has been so bad in Ireland. I need to do it more consistently and be more motivated.

Here is a funny story, I got DQd from my first ever official bike race. It was U-14 level and we were only allowed to race the last 500 metres. I had a crap non racing bike but left everyone else for dead at the finish. I remember thinking, this is so easy, I am going to be the next Sean Kelly. What I didnt know about was the restrictions on gears at underage level in Ireland. I had a much bigger gear than the rest which is why I won so easily. Never came close to winning again.

What do Cyclingnews writers do in their off time? This one goes home to the US on vacation.

With my husband and our 16 year-old son, I have been in West Virginia for three days, enjoying the beautiful mountains. Couldn't find any bikes to rent, so we have been taking lots of long walks through the woods. It is just so lovely!

Tonight we are at Hawks Nest State Park, and (until it got dark) we could see the New River Gorge from our lodge room.

Susan

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i spend 8 to 9 months a year distracting myself with various activities- including being a husband and a father of two - to only completely immerse in cross country skiing the rest of the year. we go at least once a year to switzerland for vacation and family stuff. guess where i spend my time when we are there :) oh yeah i do work but much prefer music, history and political science.

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Football is my thing - but only live, can't stand watching it on TV. I have been passionately involved with Colchester United for about 11 years, and organise a charity bike ride in April every year between football grounds (nowadays usually Ipswich and Colchester - there are more people able to do the distance.)

Bit of a facebook addict, too. I've tried twitter but just don't get it, although it's quite a quick link onto interesting cycling news.

At the moment I'm up to my eyeballs in courses related to my job, so I am using this forum (among others) as a procrastination tool :p

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well besides work at the hospital in Philly, I love playing basketball, football(US), the many restaurants in Philly and just hanging out with my girl. My one addiction that is not so healthy....World of Warcraft...

Susan I wish I would have know you were going to WV and needed bikes, I would have gotten you some to use. I still keep a house about 20 miles from New River/hawks nest area, I grew up in the area, and have around 500 acres of land there with 3 building on it, with a few bikes..even a tandem!!

TRENDING THREADS