• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Nice 10 March - 17 March 2019 77th edition

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He isn't riding MSR I think?

Groenewegen focusses on sprint wins in stage races this year. He doesn't even ride scheldeprijs. Kuurne was the only exception to his no-classics program.
Pretty sad considering how he survived these echelons and wins. He's not just fast.
Didn't he say last year he'd ride it this year?

10 GC riders "left" after 2 flat stages:

Kwiatkowski
Sanchez, 1 secs
Bernal, 7
Gallopin, 10
Bardet, 11
Quintana, 13
Kelderman, 13
Zakarin, 13
Bennett, 13
Jungels, 23

Could very well be the top 10 but in another order. Other pre-favorites are over a minute behind. Teuns and Konrad are still in contention but for the rest.. it's pretty much over.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
10 GC riders "left" after 2 flat stages:

Kwiatkowski
Sanchez, 1 secs
Bernal, 7
Gallopin, 10
Bardet, 11
Quintana, 13
Kelderman, 13
Zakarin, 13
Bennett, 13
Jungels, 23

Could very well be the top 10 but in another order. Other pre-favorites are over a minute behind. Teuns and Konrad are still in contention but for the rest.. it's pretty much over.

Grossschartner is still in it as well. Also is Calmejane going for GC?

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He isn't riding MSR I think?

Groenewegen focusses on sprint wins in stage races this year. He doesn't even ride scheldeprijs. Kuurne was the only exception to his no-classics program.
Pretty sad considering how he survived these echelons and wins. He's not just fast.
Groenewegen won the Ronde van Vlaanderen Beloften back in 2014 (and finished second the previous year). I know that race is considerably easier than the grown-up version, but surely those results suggest some classics ability.

Bernal... I couldn't believe my eyes. Simply out of this world, and that's probably still not covering it.

Naesen looked so incredible at ease. How often has he saved Bardet's ass already? I stopped counting. Please save him from any bad luck this year as I believe he can genuinely win a big classic.

Re: Re:

Cookster15 said:
Flamin said:
Bernal... I couldn't believe my eyes. Simply out of this world, and that's probably still not covering it.

Yes that was my thought when I read the race results. Didn't see the race but I assume his Sky teammates must have played a big part on getting him into that position e.g. Luke Rowe ?

Rowe was clear MVP today. But the little guy was awesome as well.

Cookster15 said:
Flamin said:

Yes that was my thought when I read the race results. Didn't see the race but I assume his Sky teammates must have played a big part on getting him into that position e.g. Luke Rowe ?

Rowe was great, but Bernal himself was doing amazing pulls while many strong guys got thrown out the back. Unreal.

Jagartrott said:
tobydawq said:
Rowe was clear MVP today. But the little guy was awesome as well.
Tied with Naessen. He was protecting Bardet the whole time, in front all day, made the very final split, but let himself fall back to nearly drag Bardet back up to the Kwiatkowski group.

That's true. I heard Rowe was the one most often taking the initiative to open up the race. So he was the offensive MVP, Naesen was the defensive one.

Re:

slosada said:
Note1: Urán is not in the classification... probably swapped bikes with Docker
Note2: Movistar took the right decision yesterday. Soler lost 8:27 in the 5th group

After yesterday he likely was told he can't go for GC anymore, so it's highly likely he had no interest in doing anything except finishing within the time limit and not expend anymore energy than is required.

Koronin said:
slosada said:
Note1: Urán is not in the classification... probably swapped bikes with Docker
Note2: Movistar took the right decision yesterday. Soler lost 8:27 in the 5th group

After yesterday he likely was told he can't go for GC anymore, so it's highly likely he had no interest in doing anything except finishing within the time limit and not expend anymore energy than is required.

Yeah, why try to help his captain?

Soler has been pretty bad after P-N/Catalunya last year. That picture remains the same this race, but I think he suddenly will find a lot of watts on home turf in a couple of weeks. Thats his race.

Not really been watching the the stages in its entirety, hoping to turn it around for the last 6 stages. Such a great race. Go Egan!

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I fell in love with Paris-Nice many years ago and it always keeps delivering. Two phenomenal stages so far, and a great way to start possibly the best stage race in cycling.

Bernal going batshit crazy in echelons, GC-riders battling to stay in front, classics riders warming up, sprinters giving their everything. I could watch it all year.