• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice 2012 - Stage 7: Sisteron - Nice, 219.5 km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 20, 2010
Visit site
Feillu can be a bit of a nutter in a sprint though.

Anyway all this "oh its just the anglos moaning about the euros" stuff is just silly, it that was RSNT driving the peloton people would be saying the same thing.

Personally I don't think Movistar were really pushing the pace that high on the descent. Merely getting Piti up front in case of another crash happens and keeping him there.

Can't seem much point in it, not like their efforts will earn them any UCI points.

euanli said:
Feillu can be a bit of a nutter in a sprint though.

Anyway all this "oh its just the anglos moaning about the euros" stuff is just silly, it that was RSNT driving the peloton people would be saying the same thing.

Personally I don't think Movistar were really pushing the pace that high on the descent. Merely getting Piti up front in case of another crash happens and keeping him there.

Can't seem much point in it, not like their efforts will earn them any UCI points.

Just who are all these Anglos that are not european everyone is referring to in this thread. Both the Angles and Saxons are very much european. If you mean English just say it don't hide behind a German pseudonym.

burning said:
he is really crazy on his bike but he has to do these crazy stuff to get himself in to top 10 otherwise he cant simply find any holes to position himself

No. You mentioned Cav having a lead out train, if you look at the countless stages he has won with out any sort of leadout you will see him smoothly moving around and picking the right wheel (McEwen was very good at it as well). Feillu doesnt do that. More often than not he is down right dangerous, jumping around erratically.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Andy99 said:
Yeah, TDG is one of my favourite riders - always willing to have a go. Hopefully he can pull something off in the classics.

What is supposed to have happened to HH? You just surprised he didn't win the sprint for 3rd..;)

He was actually laughing at this in the interview, he didn't understand why they'd just let him go all the time or why there aren't any more riders that join his attacks:p

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
burning said:
They can complain about movistar it is arguable but

Geraint Thomas ‏ @GeraintThomas86
I actually think Roman Feillu has a screw lose!! #risksallforatop10 #chapeau

I mean Feillu has no team to leadout and he has to do "crazy switches between wheels" to even get into top 10 and show his teams jersey, it is not like cav who has 6 men on his behalf

Try and find out what 'Chapeau' means in cycling and then reconsider.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Richeypen said:
Cant decide whether its an ironic chapeau or not. Feillu has a reputation within the peleton of being very dangerous. Not sure any of the riders appreciate that, especially at top speed.

He's from Cardiff. If he was trying to be sarcastic, you'd know about it.

So when did the super-offended Bradley and Geraint come to the front to slow anything down? They didn't. They were happy to profit off Movistar's actions, then feign horror afterwards.

If Movistar pushed the pace and still couldn't make any inroads into Thomas de Gendt on his own, then do we really need to worry about their morals, when they're obviously incompetent?

None of the people quoted are impartial. Brammeier rides for Leipheimer's team, for one thing.

If Sky had sat up and waited, then Leipheimer beat Wiggins for the GC in the chrono tomorrow, we'd all call them idiots for sitting up. And we'd be right. The idea of pushing the pace is to try to pressurise others into mistakes. Levi made one. He was unfortunate with the motorbike, but he was already behind at that point.

Sky are also hypocrites since they came to the front and kept the pace high once it was clear Levi wouldn't make it back.

People push the pace when other riders are under pressure, suffer mechanicals or crash all the time. Who waited for Tom Boonen in the Trouée d'Arenberg last year?

Let's face it, if Sky got what they wanted out of this race it would be to neutralise absolutely everything except the time trial anyway.

Libertine Seguros said:
So when did the super-offended Bradley and Geraint come to the front to slow anything down? They didn't. They were happy to profit off Movistar's actions, then feign horror afterwards.

If Movistar pushed the pace and still couldn't make any inroads into Thomas de Gendt on his own, then do we really need to worry about their morals, when they're obviously incompetent?

None of the people quoted are impartial. Brammeier rides for Leipheimer's team, for one thing.

If Sky had sat up and waited, then Leipheimer beat Wiggins for the GC in the chrono tomorrow, we'd all call them idiots for sitting up. And we'd be right. The idea of pushing the pace is to try to pressurise others into mistakes. Levi made one. He was unfortunate with the motorbike, but he was already behind at that point.

Sky are also hypocrites since they came to the front and kept the pace high once it was clear Levi wouldn't make it back.

People push the pace when other riders are under pressure, suffer mechanicals or crash all the time. Who waited for Tom Boonen in the Trouée d'Arenberg last year?

Let's face it, if Sky got what they wanted out of this race it would be to neutralise absolutely everything except the time trial anyway.

I dont see how that makes them hypoctites. As you say Levi was already gone.

On second thoughts dont answer. I dont care :D

Libertine Seguros said:

very well said LibertineS. Exactly hit the points and I agree with the assessments.
Thanx for the summation and clarification.
:)

Richeypen said:
I dont see how that makes them hypoctites. As you say Levi was already gone.

On second thoughts dont answer. I dont care :D

Hypocrites because a lot of Sky were whinging about the 'attack' of Movistar when Levi was in trouble, but pushing the pace when he is struggling is not much different is it?
tactics?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

I see the rose tinted glasses are in use again.

sky came to the front for the last few km's. Of course they would - they had to keep the pace high because of likely attacks from Westra etc.

and Wiggins did come along and have a word with Movistar. That I did see.

But anyway who cares. Apparently we will never agree. I'm Anglosaxon afterall. ;)

I am posting this in both Saturday's and Sunday's Paris-Nice threads. It deals more with Saturday but I figure more people will see it here.

It is NOT acceptable to wish injury on a rider or rejoice when he crashes. It is equally unacceptable to make broad-based negative comments concerning persons of any given nationality or ethnic group.

Further such comments will be deleted and will entail an automatic 24 hour ban, repetitions will bring longer bans.

Susan

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Bottle

I only caught up with the crashes last night - from what I saw it looked like Levi had 'bottled it'. His nerve had gone, I could hear him shouting at Tony Martin on the descent to slow down.

As for the 'motorbike' crash - Levi locked up the rear before he went into the corner. He had to try to correct it and then get round the moto - difficult for most riders. Unfortunately he crashed into his own team mate - the other guys had got past the moto. They obviously had to take a diversion but they did not crash. Only 2 riders from OPQS went down although they all stopped and waited.

The pacemaking from Movistar is a different matter and has already been well debated here!

F.

I was annoyed by Valverde's huge cowardly riding once again. Just like I remember him pre-suspension. He did so in TDU as well. Hiding behind teammates and other riders until final 200m.

I seriously hope that when it comes to the ardennes he gets his *** kicked. I'd go as far as that in the case Gilbert isn't good enough for some reason I even prefer Andy Schleck or Nibali winning rather than Valverde.