• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice 2022 (03/06 - 03/13)

aec00

8d942

f2b92

65ca3

9a5d0

a50ea

15db6

fec29

For now it looks like Schachmann will try to defend his title. Also announced to start are Wout van Aert, Jack Haig, Sonny Colbrelli, Jasper Stuyven, Chris Froome, Thomas De Gendt, Michael Matthews, Guillaume Martin, David Gaudu, Arnaud Démare and Nairo Quintana.

Last edited:
It's a shame they go with the unipuerto 'queen' stage but little to complain otherwise, there's some strong designs and everyone will have at least one stage that suits them. The return of Col de la Mure - in a very interesting stage - is an especially nice surprise and the stage after it is a good tribute to the season openers.

Edit with the climb profiles:

Stage 1
Final circuit
Leydf0d.png

Stage 3
Côte de Le Peyroux
3lnEOeX.png

Final kilometres
Png9xys.png

Stage 5
Croix de Chaubouret
CroixDeChaubouretN.gif

Côte de Saint-Romain-de-Lerps
2355.gif

Côte de Toulaud
paris-nice-2022-stage-5-climb-n4-65a81bef5f.jpg

Col de la Mure
MureE.gif

Saint-Vincent-de-Durfort (as far as 5.4k below the summit of this profile)
MoulinAVentNE.gif

Stage 6
Col de Murs
MursW.gif

Col du Pointu (final 6.9k only)

Col de Sambuc
GrandSambucN.gif

Col des Portes (final 4.8k only)
Portes3W.gif

Col de Pas de la Couelle
CouelleN.gif

Col de l'Espigoulier
EspigoulierN.gif

Final kilometres
0e327

Stage 7
Côte de Coursegoules
SaintMarcW.gif

Col de Turini
TuriniW.gif

Stage 8
Côte de Levens
2994.svg

Côte de Châteauneuf

Côte de Berre-les-Alpes
paris-nice-2022-stage-8-climb-n3-a00b219972.jpg

Côte de Peille
SaintPancraceN.gif

Col d'Èze
Col-d-Eze-5.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent route! Great variety and great pacing of stages.

I would have preferred an easier MTF in a harder stage, but this is quite fine as it is. Preferably Valberg (from any direction), but I guess the MercanTour Classic occupies that.

The ITT could easily be longer (it was 25.5 km the last time Turini was the MTF), but it's as expected.

Turini is a great climb, but perhaps a bit too hard for this race.
I feel that an easier MTF might lead to a more open race.
Short stage, just one small climb before and the stages leading up to it are solid but not brutal. Everyone should be quite fresh so I don't see big time gaps. 10 riders finished within 30 seconds on Colmiane last year and despite Turini being slightly tougher I don't see massive differences.
If anything I see the ITT as a bigger factor.

Short stage, just one small climb before and the stages leading up to it are solid but not brutal. Everyone should be quite fresh so I don't see big time gaps. 10 riders finished within 30 seconds on Colmiane last year and despite Turini being slightly tougher I don't see massive differences.
If anything I see the ITT as a bigger factor.
Yeah, but Bernal worked a lot on his ITT. If both him and Roglic are in good form it's gonna be a nice battle.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Awww... I was gonna suggest toby got the honour of making the actual thread this year...

Hey, look! @tobydawq; a thread!
Then again... you'd already posted in the official P-N thread last year before you went and created the legend that is The Dot...

I'm surprised you didn't comment on the fact that the race will apparently last four months, but I guess you're only only obsessed with words that can be misunderstood :p

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Are they taking a completely new route up the Col d'Eze? I know that they have used different approaches to it in the past, but never remember it being as steep as this one.
I guess from the map and the profile they take the following route:
Start: Boulevard Bischoffsheim (classical route), after 400m they turn right into the Boulevard des deux Corniches. They follow the Avenue de Mont Alban and cross nearly the classical descend here. Instead they are turning left into the Chemin de Vinaigrier and here is where it gets really steep! Roughly 1.5 km 11%. One reaches the classical route at Col de Quatre Chemins and follows it until the top.

TRENDING THREADS