Paris - Nice, Stage 3 Châtel-Guyon -> Brioude 170 km, Wednesday 6th March

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 9, 2009
6,391
0
0
Tomorrow's stage could be excellent if ridden in the same spirit.

I'm sure some Italian posters will be along shortly to say PN is rubbish and TA is much better, but it's going to have a lot to live up to if the rest of PN is similar.
 
Sep 5, 2011
233
0
9,030
Ferminal said:
Think Sky will come out and play if they aren't too banged around by all the crashes.
Good call Ferminal. Are Sky the new Liquigas with these mad attacks on descents? :D

Quintana's looking good though. Looked very attentive on TJVG's wheel on the descent and then decided to go back in the pack and save his energies for another day.
 
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Tomorrow's stage could be excellent if ridden in the same spirit.

I'm sure some Italian posters will be along shortly to say PN is rubbish and TA is much better, but it's going to have a lot to live up to if the rest of PN is similar.
easy now, it took until day 4 at P-N to get racing going.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink admits it was purely his own fault for losing time by bad positioning.
His entire support team was shelled out the back before the climb even properly started, combination of bad teamwork and bad legs probably.

Anyway, I hope this puts paid to the unrealistic expectations regarding the Giro. He's just climbing like a brick in recent years, certainly in crap weather. Even in crap position he should have been able to move up on a climb like this.
 
Jan 24, 2013
378
0
0
pastronef said:
nice quartet at 17" n GC

18 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:00:17
19 Andreas Klöden (Ger) RadioShack Leopard
20 Simon Spilak (Slo) Team Katusha
21 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team
I agree. I hope someone out of this quartet can get onto the final podium and maybe quintana can go for the win. Roche and Kloden seem to ride at the same level, they were very close in the tour GC too last year.
 
theyoungest said:
His entire support team was shelled out the back before the climb even properly started, combination of bad teamwork and bad legs probably.

Anyway, I hope this puts paid to the unrealistic expectations regarding the Giro. He's just climbing like a brick in recent years, certainly in crap weather. Even in crap position he should have been able to move up on a climb like this.
He was in the first 25 when they were on top of the climb. He just lost in the descent.
 
damn blanco ....well at least hopefully they will attack tomorrow

from what i've seen quintana is a helluva bike rider, even in those conditions he was taking pulls like a strong northern classics rider. he's awesome. also great to see max attacking.

what else...chapeau to sky for putting the hammer down uphill and downhill. that's racing

congrats to talansky even that the terrible sin of badmouthing vino will never be forgotten
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
Leadbelly said:
Quintana's looking good though. Looked very attentive on TJVG's wheel on the descent and then decided to go back in the pack and save his energies for another day.
Quintana's waiting to destroy everyone on Montagne de Lure and win the overall. :D

Really good ride from Talansky, didn't expect him to win today. Would be cool to see Talansky get a podium, but will be tough with Quintana, Porte, Westra, and TJVG all looking in good form.
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Whereas at TA you get a TTT and 2 sprints to begin. Massively better than a prologue and 2 sprints...
It's ridiculous idd how PN gets loads of critisism, while TA is praised all over. Their routes aren't that different, the only difference is the huge amount of possible Tour protagonists who line up for it. Imagine having to ride a 230 km flat stage, and us having to watch it. We're lucky Paris-Nice doesn't start with tough stages, so we don't have the great opportunity to watch two sprints tomorrow.
 
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Whereas at TA you get a TTT and 2 sprints to begin. Massively better than a prologue and 2 sprints...
well flat stages are rarely exciting, except for last 5 minutes, no matter where they are. Point being using 20km of action after 4 days of riding in France as a reference for other races seems a bit premature. Personally think stage 4 (P-N) is very well designed, so hopefully riders wants to step up.

Meanwhile most expect stage 2 in Italy to be dull with a sprint in the end.
 
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Tomorrow's stage could be excellent if ridden in the same spirit.

I'm sure some Italian posters will be along shortly to say PN is rubbish and TA is much better, but it's going to have a lot to live up to if the rest of PN is similar.
Name one italian poster who constantly say PN is rubbish.
 
Pentacycle said:
It's ridiculous idd how PN gets loads of critisism, while TA is praised all over. Their routes aren't that different, the only difference is the huge amount of possible Tour protagonists who line up for it. Imagine having to ride a 230 km flat stage, and us having to watch it. We're lucky Paris-Nice doesn't start with tough stages, so we don't have the great opportunity to watch two sprints tomorrow.
Well, if you look at the last two year's editions, it's not that rediculous. Paris-Nice has been so-so while Tirreno-Adriatico has been nothing short of incredible the last two years.
 
jens_attacks said:
damn blanco ....well at least hopefully they will attack tomorrow

from what i've seen quintana is a helluva bike rider, even in those conditions he was taking pulls like a strong northern classics rider. he's awesome. also great to see max attacking.

what else...chapeau to sky for putting the hammer down uphill and downhill. that's racing

congrats to talansky even that the terrible sin of badmouthing vino will never be forgotten
Agree. He seems to be very good at positioning himself in the peloton. Good signs.
 
Paris does get too hard a time, the inclement weather really puts the men among boys and not having the contadors and wiggins here means we actually arnt sure yet who wins.

btw anyone know best place to get the days highlights in english? i am without recording
 
Just watching the highlights back and was trying to judge form on the climb. Quintana looked good. Porte didn't look super, in fact the most comfortable looked to be his teammate David Lopez. Watch out for him over the next few days, even if Porte is team leader.
 
JRanton said:
Just watching the highlights back and was trying to judge form on the climb. Quintana looked good. Porte didn't look super, in fact the most comfortable looked to be his teammate David Lopez. Watch out for him over the next few days, even if Porte is team leader.

i forgot how many super riders sky have bought in their classics team while strong doesnt have depth, basically have two strong grand tour teams to support froome and wiggins
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY