• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Roubaix 2012 - The Queen of the Classics (257.5km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Without bad luck Tom will be on the podium.

And I have for some time had a strong feeling that Leukemans will be on the podium also. That feeling gets stronger all the time. :cool:

hfer07 said:
I foresee another Podium set for Boonen, Pipo & Ballan- unless of course something unexpected happens.

It's P-R... Always expect the unexpected.

hfer07 said:
I'd like either Chavanel or Flecha to come up with a surprise win, but It's unlikely to happen.

I second this. I'd add Lars Boom and Steve Chainel to your list just talking about it. I don't think they are going to let Chavanel do anything as long as Boonen is *somewhere* on course. Van Avermaet is hot, hot, hot right now.. I think he will be as marked as Cancellara, so no gaps allowed.

Voeckler would be an upset win, but I don't know if it is his kind of event.

Nevermind, I've reached my Boonen limit. Any other team.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
sagan didn't struggle with the distance at all today, the kid is a beast so i wont underestimate him again like i did for today. i expect to see him do well in P-R as well

Yes he does say this

Then on the Kwaremont the third time, it wasn't that I didn't have any legs left, but I wasn't able to stay with Pozzato and Boonen at that point,"

But when you are not able to go with the leaders and stay with them then you don't have the legs. He wasn't as strong as the front guys for the distance. It is a matter of fact. He also made some mistakes in regards to positioning and when he was riding on the front. I also believe that Sagan is more suited to Flanders because of his lighter frame, climbing abilities and punch. Roubaix suits larger riders who can power on the flat more who have a large diesel.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't count Thor out based on his performance in the Ronde. He finished around 50th, which is where he usually ends up - as he did the years he finished on the podium in PR.

That said, he won't win PR this year either, but I wouldn't count him out for a podium finish. BMC looked quite good as a team yesterday as well.

auscyclefan94 said:
Yes he does say this

But when you are not able to go with the leaders and stay with them then you don't have the legs. He wasn't as strong as the front guys for the distance. It is a matter of fact. He also made some mistakes in regards to positioning and when he was riding on the front. I also believe that Sagan is more suited to Flanders because of his lighter frame, climbing abilities and punch. Roubaix suits larger riders who can power on the flat more who have a large diesel.

It was not the distance, but bad luck. I will put here an excerpt from his interview in slovak. Among other things, he mentioned that at first he had problems with "derailleur"(i hope google translated this one correctly), so he had to swith his bike, then he returned to the peloton by himself, without any help from his teammates, that he had problems with brakes, he had to wait for car, but they didn't have any spare bike, so they only provisourly fixed the brakes, caught the peloton alone again, than after some kms brakes were down again, so sagan desperately threw his bike into the bushes and waited for the car with fixed original one, than he return to peloton again alone. And then, in the first ascent to patterberg he was blocked by the fall and had to cath the leaders alone again.

So that's why he had not enough strenght to respond to Boonen's coutner attack. Honestly, given the circumstances, I think that the 5th place is pretty amazing.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Captain_Obvious said:
George Hincapie has got this one in the bag. This is the year its going to happen. Just wait and see.

lol.... He has no chance. He will be working as a domestique.

I believe if BMC can get themselves into a 2 on 1 situation with Ballan, Hushovd and Boonen it will be their best chance for a victory. I don't see Boonen dropping both of them.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
BMC are looking like a very strong team again. Two pootential winners in Ballan and Hushovd, and Van Avermaet, Burghardt and Hincapie in support. Unless they argue over who leads (no sign of that at RVV) I could see Ballan making up for yesterday's frustration.

OPQS are of course just as strong, Farnese Vini less so because I assume Gatto won't be as suited to P-R.

Captain_Obvious said:
George Hincapie has got this one in the bag. This is the year its going to happen. Just wait and see.

the guy i will support in roubaix until he hangs off the bike

boonen had enough of classics,i hope ballan can beat him this time

i won't even dare to wish a muddy roubaix because it seems it will never happen again:(

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Ballan has to drop Boonen to win PR, that never looked like happening yesterday. In my opinion GVA has a better chance, because he can sprint a bit, as well as Thor of course. Ballan should play the Chavanel/Terpstra role in PR.

If Hushovd is on form (which I doubt) then it's possible for BMC to beat Boonen and OPQS. It will, in my opinion, only happen if they can let Hushovd hang onto Boonens wheel (which he, as we all know, is very good at) while Ballan attacks relentlessly. I doubt they are strong enough though.

Boonen, Ballan and Pozzato look like the strongest. I think that Hagen could potentially do better here than in RVV but I don't know about this year. Of course PR is better suited to Degenkolb as well, and he will probably be one of the guys to beat in a few years.

kjetilraknerud said:
Ballan has to drop Boonen to win PR, that never looked like happening yesterday. In my opinion GVA has a better chance, because he can sprint a bit, as well as Thor of course. Ballan should play the Chavanel/Terpstra role in PR.

not that easy, GVA have NEVER showed (as far as ive seen) that he can follow Boonen on the cobbles, and Hushovd has been sick, and is abit out of form (he have said so himself) so Ballan is right now the only BMC rider that can follow Boonen to the finishing line on paper

May 27, 2010
Visit site
what the hell is it with PR and GVA talk.
HE IS NOT EVEN RACING IN PR.
Way too light for PR, he is more a hilly classics guy and IMO Hushovd will be up there for PR.