• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Roubaix 2012 - The Queen of the Classics (257.5km)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hugo Koblet said:
If Hushovd is on form (which I doubt) then it's possible for BMC to beat Boonen and OPQS. It will, in my opinion, only happen if they can let Hushovd hang onto Boonens wheel (which he, as we all know, is very good at) while Ballan attacks relentlessly. I doubt they are strong enough though.

Boonen, Ballan and Pozzato look like the strongest. I think that Hagen could potentially do better here than in RVV but I don't know about this year. Of course PR is better suited to Degenkolb as well, and he will probably be one of the guys to beat in a few years.

Hagen prbably need 2 or 3 more years before beeing capable of winning PR. Just like Hushovd in that matter, not a natural big engine so have to work with that next couple of years

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
not that easy, GVA have NEVER showed (as far as ive seen) that he can follow Boonen on the cobbles, and Hushovd has been sick, and is abit out of form (he have said so himself) so Ballan is right now the only BMC rider that can follow Boonen to the finishing line on paper
Never said it was easy, and I don't think BMC can win the race either unless Ballan turns into Cancellara during the week. My point was that Ballan will never beat Boonen in a sprint, GVA might - but I learn that he isn't even riding. Their only hope is Thor, and he isn't in top form because of his illness.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
the guy i will support in roubaix until he hangs off the bike

boonen had enough of classics,i hope ballan can beat him this time

i won't even dare to wish a muddy roubaix because it seems it will never happen again:(

Deep inside, you just want Boonen to win a fourth Roubaix to see RDV's reaction ;)

Hagen prbably need 2 or 3 more years before beeing capable of winning PR. Just like Hushovd in that matter, not a natural big engine so have to work with that next couple of years
I've always wondered, what exactly do people mean by "big engine"? EBH is a phenomenon when it comes to tests, and Stapleton said, after testing him, that he was "exceeding what he thought was humanly possible".

If there is any problem at all, it is his stomach. He can't drink energy drinks and can't eat sports gels. I'm certain that this problem caused his bonk in RVV. If you noticed, in RVV he was eating a god damn sandwich with 30k to go :p

If sky finds a better solution to this, there won't be any problem anymore.

maltiv said:
I've always wondered, what exactly do people mean by "big engine"? EBH is a phenomenon when it comes to tests, and Stapleton said, after testing him, that he was "exceeding what he thought was humanly possible".

If there is any problem at all, it is his stomach. He can't drink energy drinks and can't eat sports gels. I'm certain that this problem caused his bonk in RVV. If you noticed, in RVV he was eating a god damn sandwich with 30k to go :p

If sky finds a better solution to this, there won't be any problem anymore.

atleast what i mean with "big engine" is the capacity in races over 230 km
edit: Eddy does allways haave a problem at the end of the classics (exept perhaps last years WC)
Edit2: of course if he can't eat energy bars, that could be a part of the answer to why he fails at the long races, i don't know really

May 27, 2010
Visit site
if you guys think Hushovd form is bad just see last year's RVV results
53 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:04:29
Nearly identical to his performance this year. I think his form is about the same level as last year. He will sure be one of the contenders in PR.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
Nearly identical to his performance this year. I think his form is about the same level as last year. He will sure be one of the contenders in PR.

He won't beat Boonen unless he wheel-sucks all the way.

dlwssonic said:

the diiference is that this year he is worried himself, last year he just raced with the knowlege of that his form was there, this year he tried to feel how his legs where doing, and he didn't look to satisfied with them in interwies (he might just fake it thought)

barmaher said:
Why is Sagan skipping this? I think he would be second favourite if he were to line up.

Oss is no bad substitute, but I want to see Sagan winning monuments soon.
How do you know he isn't starting? That sounds weird, because I read an interview with him some weeks ago when he said that P-R was his main goal this season...

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
no, couse Hushovd has never wheel sucked in PR before :rolleyes:

:D

Just like every time this comes up: Where is the proof? Please link to some footage. I have tried to find it but there is nothing...

momomomo said:
Just like every time this comes up: Where is the proof? Please link to some footage. I have tried to find it but there is nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYrmKczBAjg
if you watch it, you can't see Hushovd in front of Cancellara once i think lulz :p
and yes i know Hushovd had Vansummeren in the leading group, it is just that this is allways how he does it (you can find footage of him an Boonen to from 2010(?) before Hushovd crashes he had been on the wheel of Boonen for a long time

Latest posts