• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, those riders are all comparable as far as their status as being GT riders and domestiques. You can be both. So much for your "muh Almeida is not a GT rider, is a domestique".

Like I said, the problem with Remco is not what he wins (one day races and TTs), it's what his fans think he can win despite all evidence to the contrary.
So, what do you think Almeida can win ? [deleted: uncivil]
A top athlete always wins and performs less than might be expected based on talent at a young age. So the same with Evenepoel, Almeida, Ayuso, Bernal, Van Aert, even VDP. There is one exception : Pogacar. And Pogacar has won the Tour "only" twice in a row (not the expected five or more). On top of that, there are the setbacks and serious injuries. Evenepoel would probably have won the Giro 20 and 23 without those setbacks. Almeida had only minor setbacks, which nevertheless did not allow him to win much.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, what do you think Almeida can win ? So, be honest.
A top athlete always wins and performs less than might be expected based on talent at a young age. So the same with Evenepoel, Almeida, Ayuso, Bernal, Van Aert, even VDP. There is one exception : Pogacar. And Pogacar has won the Tour "only" twice in a row (not the expected five or more). On top of that, there are the setbacks and serious injuries. Evenepoel would probably have won the Giro 20 and 23 without those setbacks. Almeida had only minor setbacks, which nevertheless did not allow him to win much.
[content deleted: context deleted]

I think Almeida can podium the Vuelta but not win it because of the nature of the parcours in Spain.
He can podium Giro and even win it provided that right circumstances are there: no Vingo, no Pogacar.
I think the Tour fits him but it's a race that will always be stacked with talent. He can podium or top 5.

But this is what current Almeida potential shows. Perhahps he can improve his numbers but he should specially improve his reading and positioning skills.

Almeida had covid in Giro 2022, he was headed for a podium for sure.

I don't believe that Remco would win Giro 2020 and 2023. Ever. But of course he can podium either GT if the right conditions surface: no multiple mountain stages, no Roglic, no Vingo, no Pogacar and a LOT of TT mileage.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Almeida has about the same amount of wins as a few of those mentioned.

Only difference is he has only "finished" on the podium compared to a few of those who has won.

You do realize a lot of great GC-riders doesnt actually get a lot of "wins". Almeida has a lot of great results in both one-week races and GTs (not finished outside of the top 10 that he has completed).

You are underrating him.
But one can not compare him with GT-winners Thomas, Bernal, Evenepoel (both probably only stopped by their terrible injurys), Hindley (first and second place in Giro), Martinez (Dauphiné and several stages). All those riders also have a lot of "great results" (not finished outside of the top 10). So no, he doesn't come close to the performance of the aforementioned riders. Still, I appreciate him as a very good rider.

[content deleted]
I think Almeida can podium the Vuelta but not win it because of the nature of the parcours in Spain.
He can podium Giro and even win it provided that right circumstances are there: no Vingo, no Pogacar.
I think the Tour fits him but it's a race that will always be stacked with talent. He can podium or top 5.

But this is what current Almeida potential shows. Perhahps he can improve his numbers but he should specially improve his reading and positioning skills.

Almeida had covid in Giro 2022, he was headed for a podium for sure.

I don't believe that Remco would win Giro 2020 and 2023. Ever. But of course he can podium either GT if the right conditions surface: no multiple mountain stages, no Roglic, no Vingo, no Pogacar and a LOT of TT mileage.
Well, by describing the conditions/criteria for Almeida to enter a podium in a GT, it means that dozends of riders can achieve those results under the same conditions. The chance of this happening is extremely small. But it doesn't exclude everything will come together so that he will one day be on podium. But the same can be said about Evenepoel (Bernal, the Yates-brothers...). Not only for podium, but for winning (OTHER) GT's. So your comparison makes no sense.

But one can not compare him with GT-winners Thomas, Bernal, Evenepoel (both probably only stopped by their terrible injurys), Hindley (first and second place in Giro), Martinez (Dauphiné and several stages). All those riders also have a lot of "great results" (not finished outside of the top 10). So no, he doesn't come close to the performance of the aforementioned riders. Still, I appreciate him as a very good rider.

Why do you think Almeida can't be compared to someone like Martinez? Sure, Martinez has already won two WT stage races but before this season Almeida was the only one of the two with a GT podium. Plus in the TDS he now has a chance to win a WT stage race and he is producing some great performances.

I also suspect that he would have won this Giro if he had ridden it in the place of Pogačar but that is something that we will never know. Plus, let's not forget that Almeida is just 25, so like Pogačar, he should be entering his best years.

Well, Almeida will probably win tomorrow his first important stage race. If he is better than Yates in the TT (which I certainly think). They will have a tremendous Tour-team (even stronger than Jumbo-Visma in the past). Pogacar, Adam Yates, Ayuso, Almeida, Soler, Wellens, maybe Bjerg and/or Del Toro and/or McNulty. The disadvantage is that they will have to ride for three weeks on leash. In the high mountains, the mid-mountains and sometimes even on flat rides (especially the first days). That could be tough in the last week of the Tour.

Reactions: Elos Anjos
Well, Almeida will probably win tomorrow his first important stage race. If he is better than Yates in the TT (which I certainly think). They will have a tremendous Tour-team (even stronger than Jumbo-Visma in the past). Pogacar, Adam Yates, Ayuso, Almeida, Soler, Wellens, maybe Bjerg and/or Del Toro and/or McNulty. The disadvantage is that they will have to ride for three weeks on leash. In the high mountains, the mid-mountains and sometimes even on flat rides (especially the first days). That could be tough in the last week of the Tour.
I wouldn't be so sure since it will be a mountain Time Trial. I think yates will win since he is a better climber. Probably top 5 climber in the world since last year.

Reactions: noob