• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Roubaix 2021 (03.10)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have an idea: if there are sections of cobbles underwater, set the course to go straight through the fields to bypass those sections. It'll be a 250 km race that combines pavé, normal roads and cross.

excellent.jpg

Kristoff somehow never makes the first two groups though.
It seems counterintuitive given his sprinters’ body, but RVV has always suited him better, especially once he realized his capabilities there. Maybe all the short steep climbs and corners fit his strengths, but maybe he also stays more focused/attentive than at Roubaix? This is total conjecture on my part, maybe other folks have read some factual explanations :)

Reactions: The Barb
It seems counterintuitive given his sprinters’ body, but RVV has always suited him better, especially once he realized his capabilities there. Maybe all the short steep climbs and corners fit his strengths, but maybe he also stays more focused/attentive than at Roubaix? This is total conjecture on my part, maybe other folks have read some factual explanations :)

You're not wrong. Kristoff himself has said that Flanders has always suited him better that Roubaix. It seems counter-intuitive but there is enough of a sample size to support his view.

Reactions: Sciatic
You're not wrong. Kristoff himself has said that Flanders has always suited him better that Roubaix. It seems counter-intuitive but there is enough of a sample size to support his view.
A few years ago a German cycling magazine featured power files of riders during the various spring classics.
The RVV with it's short climbs is characterized by short bursts, often anaerobic when the race explodes. Roubaix on the other hand has longer efforts and is more of a grind, the tempo stays high for a long time and the average wattage stays rather high for the entire 2nd half of the race.

Qhuebeka actually have a good team, Campenaerts who is in great shape, Gogl and Walscheid, a 90kg Sprinter with a great TT who should be a lot more suited to this one that the RVV. I'm also curious to see what Nizzolo can do here, he's in good shape and at the start of the season he said that he wanted to race this one.

Let's imagine: it's mid-April 2019, and I wonder... will any of these guys ever win a major race; GT, Monument, World Championships (Elite Road Race), Olympics (Elite Road Race)?

jakob-fuglsang-2019.jpg
richard-carapaz-2019.jpg
egan-bernal-2019-n2.jpg
bauke-mollema-2019.jpg
primoz-roglic-2019.jpg
mads-pedersen-2019.jpg
wout-van-aert-2020.jpeg
tadej-pogacar-2020.jpeg

mathieu-van-der-poel-2019.jpg
tao-geoghegan-hart-2020.jpeg
jasper-stuyven-2021.jpeg
kasper-asgreen-2021.jpeg

And I probably forgot some...

You know you didn't forget any...

But few people would have guessed that Roglic would win the Vuelta 3 times before the next edition of Paris-Roubaix would take place.

TRENDING THREADS