• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Roubaix 2023, one day monument, April 9 (men's)

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Amazes me how many 1-2 from the same team cycling has

Though, I like how this was different from the usual approach.

It's situations like this - and Siskevicius a few years ago - that makes me wonder why a race like P-R even has a time cut. Surely, after an effort like that, you deserve to have a result recorded, rather than just a big, fat, OTL.

Absolutely agree. Idiots who light smoke next to the riders, particularly either on 1) climbs or 2) decisive points of the race, deserve the Sarlacc pit.

Unfortunately, that isn't possible. So I propose that anyone who lights smoke next to the riders should be forced to ride full-power on a stationary bike, while someone blows smoke in their face. See how they like that.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
In this day and age the smallest of "mistake" will likely cost you the win on such race. For van Aert it was a crash at Flanders and he had two flats at PR. Considering Laporte had two too. JV likely made some mistakes in regards to equipment used. I somehow doubt it was just "bad luck". Especially considering on how much talk there was about tires and tech before this race from JV side. In all that tech talk they likely forgot about some basics. Like pressure.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
The puncture issue will always be there, it wouldn't magically go away even if the UCI were to restrict riders to puncture resistant tyres with minimum width requirements and that sort of thing. Hammering on cobbles at such high speeds just isn't good for equipment, especially when combined with the need to minimise rolling resistance in a race that averages 47 km/h.

Seems like many people forgot that getting a flat tyre isn't purely "bad luck". It's very often also a rider's mistake and not optimal choice of tyre pressure.

Van Aert let Van der Poel pass him on the Carrefour de l’Arbre and sitting behind at that speed is taking a big risk of not seeing where you’re going and getting… a puncture. Van Aert having raced hundreds of CX races knows this but he still couldn’t fend off Van der Poel. Not just bad luck but also a bit of bad (less) legs

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Van Aert let Van der Poel pass him on the Carrefour de l’Arbre and sitting behind at that speed is taking a big risk of not seeing where you’re going and getting… a puncture. Van Aert having raced hundreds of CX races knows this but he still couldn’t fend off Van der Poel. Not just bad luck but also a bit of bad (less) legs
He already had the puncture at that point.

* * * * * - Van der Poel
* * * * - Van Aert, Pedersen
* * * - Van Baarle, Ganna, Laporte
* * - Asgreen, Küng, Vanmarcke, Mohorič
* - Stuyven, Politt, Trentin, Vermeersch, Lampaert

Dark Horse: Moscon
Yikes, I completely slept on Philipsen. I didn't think he'd have the stamina, in the last 50 km I kept expecting him to drop off any minute. At least I wasn't the only one not to see that coming.

Yikes, I completely slept on Philipsen. I didn't think he'd have the stamina, in the last 50 km I kept expecting him to drop off any minute. At least I wasn't the only one not to see that coming.
La Gazzetta actually had a really similar star ranking as yours. Van der Poel at 5, Pedersen and wout at 4, Ganna, Küng and Laporte at 3. They somehow also had Trentin at 3 stars and I think they had Philipsen at 2, but overall it was surprisingly reasonable.

If not for the puncture Wout would have won PR and at least 7 other monuments.
Let’s review: MVDP is about to attack, Wout sees it (he’s riding a great race and is very strong), MVDP gets slowed down in the racing incident, Wout finds himself ahead and keeps pushing. MVDP catches him and drops him. It’s unclear when Wout punctures and when he first realises he has a puncture. MVDP and WVA were both very strong but didn’t have exactly the same strength. It’s not clear if either could have dropped the other without incidents. Without incidents, it’s most likely it would have been a 2 man sprint. That could have gone either way. I’d bet on MVDP.

MVDP went clubbing after his win.

FtV9aWKXgAANGZ8

I have no idea what happened to Mohorič, I think it was Wright who crashed with Van Baarle and Asgreen in Arenberg?

From still pictures this was the order in the 'peloton' on first stones of Arenberg:

Walscheid, Pedersen, Ganna, Stuyven, Philipsen, Rex, DSM-rider no idea who, Vermeersch, Wright, Politt, Van Baarle. Mohoric was about 10 positions further back.

Wright and Van Baarle crashed, Politt had to unclip to get around and never got back to the chasing group. Everyone behind was held up or had to brake to avoid the crash.

So everyone but Stuyven and the DSM guy the only guys who got past the crash but didn't make it to the front.

Last edited:
I heard an interesting take on the whole matter from Dumoulin who was analysing for NOS. He thought VdP might have shouted at Philipsen that he was coming through. Philipsen misjudged where VdP's voice was coming from and went to the wrong side trying to make way. When I rewatch it, that seems pretty plausible.
I agree Degenkolb can't be blamed here, and I feel terrible for the guy, but this very clearly was just a racing incident in my book.

Good to hear Dumoulin is still involved in cycling. How is he as a commentator? Crazy to think he is still 32.

Reactions: Lequack
From still pictures this was the order in the 'peloton' on first stones of Arenberg:

Walscheid, Pedersen, Ganna, Stuyven, Philipsen, Rex, DSM-rider no idea who, Vermeersch, Wright, Politt, Van Baarle. Mohoric was about 10 positions further back.

Wright and Van Baarle crashed, Politt had to unclip to get around and never got back to the chasing group. Everyone behind was held up or had to brake to avoid the crash.

So everyone but Stuyven and the DSM guy the only guys who got past the crash but didn't make it to the front.
Thanks a lot!

Bad spring for Stuyven this year.

Not surprised at all about Van Baarle's disappointing spring, btw.

Sure, people can point to all the sickness/crashes/bad luck he's been having the past few weeks, and so they can hype him up again as a 2024 Ronde or Roubaix winner, but I don't see that happening. Ever. He already hit the pinnacle of his career last year. Winning Roubaix has now raised his stature to such a degree that his chances of additional successful 'under the radar' winning moves are now null and void.

Not surprised at all about Van Baarle's disappointing spring, btw.

Sure, people can point to all the sickness/crashes/bad luck he's been having the past few weeks, and so they can hype him up again as a 2024 Ronde or Roubaix winner, but I don't see that happening. Ever. He already hit the pinnacle of his career last year. Winning Roubaix has now raised his stature to such a degree that his chances of additional successful 'under the radar' winning moves are now null and void.
ridicolous comment. He won Omloop with 0 racedays. Then he got injured, ill and injured again. How is that not a valid reason?

Man also got 2nd at the worlds, wildly underrated rider. When he won Roubaix he only gained time on WvA even when the latter was finally unshackled.

Really pathetic comment, that's all I have to say

ridicolous comment. He won Omloop with 0 racedays. Then he got injured, ill and injured again. How is that not a valid reason?

Man also got 2nd at the worlds, wildly underrated rider. When he won Roubaix he only gained time on WvA even when the latter was finally unshackled.

Really pathetic comment, that's all I have to say
Agreed.

I was surprised that he wasn't sitting together with Van Aert, Laporte, Van Hooydonck and Van Dijke, I take it that he felt unwell from the start of the race?

For him, the question now is if he will make the Tour team. If he does, he will be a strong card in Glasgow.

My dislike of Degenkolb also made it too easy for me to dismiss him out of hand, he was also really good yesterday.

I have no idea what happened to Mohorič, I think it was Wright who crashed with Van Baarle and Asgreen in Arenberg?
Felt kind of strange listening to his post race interviews.. his body and mind were toasted.. as all riders were..they kept pressing him for controversy and it just wasn't in his heart. " disappointed " was pretty consistent, he rode great before and after his cobble stone nap.
I really thought that Ganna had the pedigree to try something solo but didn't happen.. I really loved the race, I have not read much about anyone crashing out for the season because of yesterday.
Also a few highlight videos of the women's race are great!! The men had people on the deck but the style points for crashes in the women's race, way higher in my opinion.