• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Roubaix 2024, one day monument, April 7

Page 68 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Winner of PR?

• Total voters
Break on through to the other side!
Well, as MvdP might have said to Pedersen and the others, I Looked at You and then he did Light the my Fire in that race, although he eased up before The End. At the End of the Night, if some Back Door Man had stolen The Crystal Ship, he might have ended up in the Whiskey Bar. But fortunately, unlike in the 2019 worlds, Van der Poel had taken enough from the Soul Kitchen, so he closed The Doors on everyone else, who just had to Take It as It Comes.

See, all you Millenials, we Baby Boomers ( we Twentieth Century Foxes, if you like) have our cultural references that leave you just as stumped as you leave us.

Honesty the Cancellara wouldve finished last in today race el oh el argument is by far the worst Ive ever read on here and im surprised theres so little backlash against it.
It all depends on the numbers. If his watts back then were lower than the watts of the recent winners, then that’s how it is. Numerous riders have stated recently that the watts are significantly higher in races now than back in the 2010’s.

Well, as MvdP might have said to Pedersen and the others, I Looked at You and then he did Light the my Fire in that race, although he eased up before The End. At the End of the Night, if some Back Door Man had stolen The Crystal Ship, he might have ended up in the Whiskey Bar. But fortunately, unlike in the 2019 worlds, Van der Poel had taken enough from the Soul Kitchen, so he closed The Doors on everyone else, who just had to Take It as It Comes.

See, all you Millenials, we Baby Boomers ( we Twentieth Century Foxes, if you like) have our cultural references that leave you just as stumped as you leave us.

After all to Mathieu they all are just a soft parade of wishful sinful wild child(ren) who are running blue, so he can tell all the people that "I just do it and nobody can touch me in this easy ride"

Also, the product should be an entertaining one, and certainly a race with 3 hours of action is much more appealing than just 5 minutes action.
Well, I agree that a pure sprinter race isn’t an ideal alternative.

I’m not saying there is something wrong with Paris-Roubaix as such. I’m just saying that the way this race and many others have played out in the last couple of years, is bad. Not for those who win, not for their fans, but for the sport and the audience in general. I can’t think of any sport that profits from lack of suspense concerning who is going to be victorious. I don’t think football would be better if there were three or four teams that would win every match 5-0 or 6-1 or 9-2. Fascinating to watch dominance? Maybe, to some, but personally I might want to just search for the highlights on YouTube afterwards.

Reactions: ManicJack
Just watched the race and ugh, this season really hasn't delivered. But well, when you have a few guys who are just way better than their competition but they don't race each other all season, that's what happens. With Van Aert last week and this week go very differently, even if the end result is perhaps the same. If Vingegaard and Pogacar ride the same races there might actually be a fight for the win. If Van Aert and MvdP ride strade bianche, who knows what happens. But they all seem to avoid each other this year. Every time at least two of the "big 6" actually meet the race turns great. It just barely ever happens.

On another note, Mads Pedersen thinking it's actually a "big 7" and he is surely part of it, didn't help. The guy was doing no damage when at the front on the cobbles yet pretended he could go 1 v 1 against MvdP and spent his entire team setting up the favorites attack. Like, I get you also cannot just let the lead group go, but the entire time Trek was riding like a team whose leader was the favorite, not like a team whose main objective had to be to disrupt Alpecin. I think the only thing more annoying than a dominant rider, is his opposition pretending he is actually not that dominant, proceeding to set up the dominant riders win.
I agree about everything here.

Well, I agree that a pure sprinter race isn’t an ideal alternative.

I’m not saying there is something wrong with Paris-Roubaix as such. I’m just saying that the way this race and many others have played out in the last couple of years, is bad. Not for those who win, not for their fans, but for the sport and the audience in general. I can’t think of any sport that profits from lack of suspense concerning who is going to be victorious. I don’t think football would be better if there were three or four teams that would win every match 5-0 or 6-1 or 9-2. Fascinating to watch dominance? Maybe, to some, but personally I might want to just search for the highlights on YouTube afterwards.
I enjoyed last year tbh, it was a shame that Van Aert punctured when he did otherwise it might have been 20km of 1v1 and that would've been nice.

Reactions: Danskebjerge
After all to Mathieu they all are just a soft parade of wishful sinful wild child(ren) who are running blue, so he can tell all the people that "I just do it and nobody can touch me in this easy ride"
So that sort of denim-y shade they are wearing this season, could those be Shaman's Blues?

(Still 8 more studio albums that we haven't created alternative listings for, if anyne else wants to join in)

Actually, the most surprising thing to me about this is that, with today's wheel and tire technology, I do not understand how this is the case, because I would have fallen on my sword that tubeless, larger tires, with less air, aids speed over cobbles, significantly...that proposition has some serious challenges, based on that data, beccause Boonen didn't have any of that.

About that:

Carrefour de l'Arbre:
Boonen 2012 - 3'39''
MVDP 2024 - 3'22''

Mons-en-Pévèle:
Boonen 2012 - more than 5'09'' (Boonen's entry on the sector wasn't shown on TV)
MVDP 2024 - 4'47''

Dirt started a Jim Morrison, Doors cycling reference chain, not easy to do!! But the obvious for me was at @61k when something inside his head screamed " come on baby light my fire!!"

Well, he has won half of his participations in each race.
Ronde suits him better judging by his worst results. Judging the gap made in a solo isn't a good indicator cause Roubaix tends to have much larger gaps than De Ronde, especially in a tailwind edition like yesterday. De Ronde meanwhile is the most circular of the monuments so you don't really get full tailwind editions.

The only thing that's 'worse' for him about De Ronde is that it also suits Pogacar much better than Roubaix and that Pogacar actually raced it a few times.

I saw it pointed out somewhere else that MVDP rode without gloves and yet his palms were without blisters by the end of the race.

It does seem like the modern, wider tires with lower pressure are making a big difference, in addition to MVDP's skills of course.
Sure.

Look young kids, no gloves!