• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Roubaix: April 14th, 2019

L'Enfer du Nord or Hell of the North is the nickname of the toughest and most prestigious classic race. After the surprises of the past weeks it's hard to predict the winner of this 117th Paris-Roubaix. Since 1968 the start is in Compiègne. There are some changes in the first part of the race, but the final remains the same. Twenty-nine cobbled sections will separate the men from the boys. Most feared are Trouée d' Arenberg & Wallers, Mons-en-Pévèle and Carrefour de l'Arbre. After all the suffering on cobblestones the riders will finish on the smooth surface of the Roubaix velodrome, where the spectators can witness the lap of honour of a triumphant soloist or the tantalizing sprint of an elite group.

2019_paris_roubaix_profile_1000x1000.png

Recent winners:
2009 Tom Boonen
2010 Fabian Cancellara
2011 Johan Vansummeren
2012 Tom Boonen
2013 Fabian Cancellara
2014 Niki Terpstra
2015 John Degenkolb
2016 Mathew Hayman
2017 Greg Van Avermaet
2018 Peter Sagan
2019 ???

Re: Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
fantomas said:
Amazinmets87 said:

Forecasts say cloudy, no rain (~10% chance of rain).

And no rain in preceding days? Cobbles will be dry?

According to Ventusky, the weather models say it could even snow on saturday!

Subject to change, of course, but I find Ventusky pretty reliable, been using it for months and usually the forecast is pretty reliable, more 2 or 3 days before.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=50.7;3.2;5&l=rain-3h&t=20190413/1500

Re:

OlavEH said:
And who are the favorites here? Van Avermaet, Van Aert, Naesen, Kristoff, Degenkolb, Politt?

Anyone who knows anything about what happened to Stybar yesterday? Is he past peak form, or could he be a contender here?

There is also a Slovakian of which you may have heard. Defending champion, triple world champ, that kind of fella.

Feb 25, 2018
Visit site
Re:

OlavEH said:
And who are the favorites here? Van Avermaet, Van Aert, Naesen, Kristoff, Degenkolb, Politt?

Anyone who knows anything about what happened to Stybar yesterday? Is he past peak form, or could he be a contender here?

He said for the Czech press that he had the same virus and stomach issues as Gilbert couple of days before Flanders because he lived with him in the same hotel room. But he also said that he felt OK before the race.

It's really hard to pick favorites this time. Sagan has disappointed in Flanders, but on a flat course he still has a chance. DQSt doesn't look as strong as two weeks ago, but it still has three potential winners. Kristoff ends up on top of my list, but he has never finished higher than ninth. Degenkolb seems to be back, but is he good enough to aim for a win? Vanmarcke did surprisingly well with his knee, but does that make him a contender for P-R?

*****Kristoff :Question:
****Sagan, Van Avermaet, Degenkolb
***Asgreen, Lampaert, Politt
**Vanmarcke, Naesen, Van Aert
*Stybar, Van Baarle, Langeveld

Yes, I'm also really curious as to how strong Politt will be here this year. It definitely suits him better than the Bergs and his sprint after a long, hard race seems to be quite something. I was actually expecting Rowe to have a really strong campaign but he was just okayish in de Ronde, though this will suit him better. Other than that it'll probably the usual suspects with one or two dark horses coming from the early break.

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
It's really hard to pick favorites this time. Sagan has disappointed in Flanders, but on a flat course he still has a chance. DQSt doesn't look as strong as two weeks ago, but it still has three potential winners. Kristoff ends up on top of my list, but he has never finished higher than ninth. Degenkolb seems to be back, but is he good enough to aim for a win? Vanmarcke did surprisingly well with his knee, but does that make him a contender for P-R?

*****Kristoff :Question:
****Sagan, Van Avermaet, Degenkolb
***Asgreen, Lampaert, Politt
**Vanmarcke, Naesen, Van Aert
*Stybar, Van Baarle, Langeveld

Pity Bettiol isn't riding, the way he rode yesterday, i'd say he would have a decent chance in Roubaix as well. Asgreen to take his place? Vanmarcke actually surprised me yesterday. He was pretty strong, and without the climbs, who knows. Could it be his year, when nobody is looking his way?

My guess is Van Avermaet, Politt and Kristoff as the top 3 favorites. And perhaps Stybar if he is 100 % fit after the stomach problems. Oliver Naesen also deserves a big win now. If Kristoff doesn't win, I'm hoping for a win for Naesen. Sagan and Degenkolb are also contenders, but after Sagan's form so far this spring, I will be a bit suprised if he wins.

I am not sure about Kristoff.

He started nine times. His best results are 9th and 10th. In 2013 he won Flanders in a great way, De Panne, Scheldeprijs and got second in Sanremo. Was super strong that year and the top favorite for Roubaix. Still he was never able to perform at his best on those cobbles. Also crashed a lot, if I remember correctly. So I can't make him a top favorite.

Politt will be very strong, I am sure about that. And he loves Roubaix, also does Dege.

I have some kind of a feeling, that Philippe Gilbert tried to duck any kind of attention before that race. He could surprise us.

It's really good and interesting, that we don't have a team or a rider like Fabian/Tommeke super strong. It's really open right now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts