• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Tours 2014 (1.HC), 12.10

CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.jpg

PROFILKMS.jpg

Official website: http://www.letour.fr/paris-tours/

Startlist: http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=MjU1Mzk=

Degenkolb, Chavanel, Boom, Demare, Debusschere, Ciolek, Voeckler, Van Asbroeck, Nizzolo, Leukemans, Terpstra, Petit, GVA, Vanmarcke etc.

This will be live on Eurosport on Sunday at 15:30 (local)

This has been a strange race over the years in that it is a race that by rights should end in a sprint in modern cycling (note for Echoes, as per San Remo, which went through a phase of being a sprinters' race unlike its traditional status) yet is frequently far more interesting than its parcours would let on. Certainly in a stage race this would end in a sprint 9 times out of 10, but as a standalone classic there's just much more at play. Sure we've had a few sprint finishes over the years, but 2009, 2011 and 2012 were all good races and we can definitely hope for something like that again. 2012 in particular I remember rather fondly for Marcato finally getting the win and Degenkolb trying to chase the leading trio down solo when he wasn't getting enough co-operation from riders who knew he'd beat them in a sprint.

Libertine Seguros said:
This has been a strange race over the years in that it is a race that by rights should end in a sprint in modern cycling (note for Echoes, as per San Remo, which went through a phase of being a sprinters' race unlike its traditional status) yet is frequently far more interesting than its parcours would let on. Certainly in a stage race this would end in a sprint 9 times out of 10, but as a standalone classic there's just much more at play. Sure we've had a few sprint finishes over the years, but 2009, 2011 and 2012 were all good races and we can definitely hope for something like that again. 2012 in particular I remember rather fondly for Marcato finally getting the win and Degenkolb trying to chase the leading trio down solo when he wasn't getting enough co-operation from riders who knew he'd beat them in a sprint.

I think the date plays into the hands of the race during these times.
Many support riders (on contract for next year and beyond) just wants to go on vacation. Very little motivation and probably limited form.

And then perhaps a bit oddly, the overall pace of PT is often pretty brutal.

Then at the critical business end around the two hills, the roads are narrow and twisty iirc.

That adds up to a better balance between the really strong riders (and there are always some around) and the peloton even on a parcours which really doesn't look "tough".

So tomorrow, boom or bust? 50% I think.

edit: similar to trevim's view.

Libertine Seguros said:
Sure we've had a few sprint finishes over the years, but 2009, 2011 and 2012 were all good races and we can definitely hope for something like that again.

I was confident it had something to do with the route change as we had two good races instantly after it happened (in 2011 and 2012) - but last year was nearly as boring as it can get.

so...yeah, lets hope it'll be better tomorrow, the parcours does allow successful attacks, but someone needs to try...

manafana said:
hutarovich perhaps to upset those big two he has gone close twice recently, otherwise can see tommy v trying something late on.

Well, you were kinda right about Tommy V, though he went early. We'll have to see about your Huta prediction. I'd like to see Voeckler take it. Really, anyone other than Démare or Degenkolb.