• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pascal Ackermann

He had a road named after him already years ago...

Pascal_Ackermann_Weg_2016_01.jpg

... now there's the first GT stage win:

image-1426691-860_poster_16x9-hgxi-1426691.jpg

The first of many more to come? Discuss.

Bavarianrider said:
Ackermann will dominate the enxt decade of sprinting.

40+ GT stage wins shouldn't suprsie anyone when it's all said and done.

I highly doubt that. Never say never, but there are too many sprinters that fall into the same bracket currently for any of them to dominate the way Cavendish has in the past. So going by the facts, it doesn't seem likely at all that he will "dominate the next decade of sprinting". Great win today though. Chapeau.

Bavarianrider said:
Ackermann will dominate the enxt decade of sprinting.

40+ GT stage wins shouldn't suprsie anyone when it's all said and done.
If I had to bet I would say no and no. The kid is fast though and should be involved in a lot of fast finishes.

I think/hope that you typed that tongue in cheek, but putting unrealistic expectation on these guys only sets them up to "fail to meet expectations".

Great win today PA!

Very strong sprint by Ackermann based on the right choice inside of a little emergency situation today, but Viviani and Ewans looked strong as well. Refering to the context of the stage you could say, that the strongest have won today, but there will be other days soon.

I felt quite bad for him at Scheldeprijs. Even at Eschborn-Frankfurt he was not in the best position before the sprint. I guess he needed a big win like this to grow, based on his instinct in the middle of spontaneous chaos a sprint can offer.

I like about him, that he can manage uphill so well, so I am hoping a bit, that he even might be able to suprise us in one of those more difficult stage finishes in this Giro. During Eschborn Frankfurt he passed every hill in the top 30, while Degenkolb an Kristoff had both their problems there (maybe after a more intensiv cobbles season) and they felt both cramps in their legs in the finish, like Cimolai did as well.

Ackermanns contract with Bora-hansgrohe is running till the end of season 2021.

I also think 25 y/o is a bit too old to grab 40 wins. I mean, its possible, but not very likely at all when you have Gaviria, Ewan and Groenewegen especially at the same age and a bunch of other pretty young and good sprinters.

How durable is he? He looks like your typical power sprinter, but surely he is better than Kittel when it comes to surviving stuff, but how good?

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I also think 25 y/o is a bit too old to grab 40 wins. I mean, its possible, but not very likely at all when you have Gaviria, Ewan and Groenewegen especially at the same age and a bunch of other pretty young and good sprinters.

How durable is he? He looks like your typical power sprinter, but surely he is better than Kittel when it comes to surviving stuff, but how good?

Think in last years Dauphine he survived some hills and won a stage against some hardmen. Or at least was fighting it out with them.

Very impressive today.

What do we think about his chances about finishing the Giro, or will he pack it in after Stage 11? Being his first Grand Tour he is going to find the last week horrendous and Stage 18 presents the only opportunity for the sprinters, but if he's leading the points classification might he be able to drag his 78kg frame to Verona?

I ask in part because I thought it was a bit curious that he is now the betting favourite for the points competition, slightly ahead of Viviani, which seems upside down to me. While Ackermann might be a touch faster right now, there's not much in it and I'm confident Viviani will finish the race (given it ends close to his home town and he's only once previously failed to complete a Grand Tour in eight attempts).

The Barb said:
Very impressive today.

What do we think about his chances about finishing the Giro, or will he pack it in after Stage 11? Being his first Grand Tour he is going to find the last week horrendous and Stage 18 presents the only opportunity for the sprinters, but if he's leading the points classification might he be able to drag his 78kg frame to Verona?

I ask in part because I thought it was a bit curious that he is now the betting favourite for the points competition, slightly ahead of Viviani, which seems upside down to me. While Ackermann might be a touch faster right now, there's not much in it and I'm confident Viviani will finish the race (given it ends close to his home town and he's only once previously failed to complete a Grand Tour in eight attempts).

I think he will want to finish the race. He is 25 already, not a very young guy who has to be carefully looked after. I don’t think it would benefit his development as a rider or his marketability for him to be 26 next year and still never have raced more than 11 or 12 days at a time. It’s not as if he has the Tour on his schedule to preserve himself for. He’s a big lump but he is decent uphill for a guy his size, so it should not be beyond him.

Ackermann stated before the beginning of the Giro one of his aims here would be to finish it.
His current weight is apparently optimal to make him able to survive the mountains. And his crew is here to be around him too. So I'm quite confident he will manage to see Verona ;)

Ktarie said:
Very strong sprint by Ackermann based on the right choice inside of a little emergency situation today, but Viviani and Ewans looked strong as well. Refering to the context of the stage you could say, that the strongest have won today, but there will be other days soon.

I felt quite bad for him at Scheldeprijs. Even at Eschborn-Frankfurt he was not in the best position before the sprint. I guess he needed a big win like this to grow, based on his instinct in the middle of spontaneous chaos a sprint can offer.

I like about him, that he can manage uphill so well, so I am hoping a bit, that he even might be able to suprise us in one of those more difficult stage finishes in this Giro. During Eschborn Frankfurt he passed every hill in the top 30, while Degenkolb an Kristoff had both their problems there (maybe after a more intensiv cobbles season) and they felt both cramps in their legs in the finish, like Cimolai did as well.

Ackermanns contract with Bora-hansgrohe is running till the end of season 2021.
I can see Bennett leaving for more opportunity and Ackermann becoming Bora's big bunch sprinter.

Nice to see a German sprinter on the rise, especially considering Greipel and Kittel clearly won't be winning any bunch sprints in the near future. I don't think he's on the same level as Gaviria, Groenewegen and Viviani yet, but just like Bennett, Jakobsen and Ewan he's one of the upcoming.

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Cinemaniak said:
Nice to see a German sprinter on the rise, especially considering Greipel and Kittel clearly won't be winning any bunch sprints in the near future. I don't think he's on the same level as Gaviria, Groenewegen and Viviani yet, but just like Bennett, Jakobsen and Ewan he's one of the upcoming.
Well, he just beat 3 of them in one of the most competitive race of the season so I would say they are pretty much in the same level

Ackermann has beaten every one of them in the last twelve months at least once, incl. his own teammate Bennett (although they more fought against each other at last year's Münsterland Giro).

All of his 13 pro wins in 2018 and 2019 have been on HC or WT level (excluding Nationals, where he beat Walscheid, Degenkolb, Kittel).

TRENDING THREADS