• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paul Kimmage

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Re: Paul Kimmage - Hero

Lyon said:
Tommy79 said:
5h1teHawk said:

Rarely have we seen someone so desperate for attention. Possibly Millar. Must be an ex-doper thing.
I see what you did there - including one of your own when venting against someone you don't like. Clever, but not clever enough.

Kimmage was dreadful on that radio link someone put up. Gaining a minute was "shock and awe", Sky should give their data to the guy who spends his time on twitter spewing hate at them.

Seriously when was the last time Kimmage had something interesting to say?

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

Tommy79 said:
Lyon said:
Tommy79 said:
5h1teHawk said:

Rarely have we seen someone so desperate for attention. Possibly Millar. Must be an ex-doper thing.
I see what you did there - including one of your own when venting against someone you don't like. Clever, but not clever enough.

Kimmage was dreadful on that radio link someone put up. Gaining a minute was "shock and awe", Sky should give their data to the guy who spends his time on twitter spewing hate at them.

Funny from someone who posts quote from Walsh... :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site

The Principal Sheep said:
Tommy79 said:
Lyon said:
Tommy79 said:
5h1teHawk said:

Funny from someone who posts quote from Walsh... :rolleyes:

One very relevant quote.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

Tommy79 said:
One very relevant quote.

We must be thinking of different quotes, the one I was thinking of was your post from Walsh feigning that he'd actually looked into Froome with the same level of scrutiny as he'd looked into Armstrong.

I saw Newsnight last night. A silly little anti French video insert piece (including a middle aged reporter on a bike with bulbs of garlic) at the end of the program went completely unchallenged. It was very unusual for the programme. I can see why Kimmage is annoyed.

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

Tommy79 said:
5h1teHawk said:

Oh dear. Poor old Kimmage. Denied the oxygen of publicity ;)

He is at his shoutiest when he hasn't got much to say.

He's a long way off his glory days up against Armstrong (piggy-backing off the really risky legwork done by Walsh and Ballester)

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site

Tommy79 said:
One very relevant quote.

We must be thinking of different quotes, the one I was thinking of was your post from Walsh feigning that he'd actually looked into Froome with the same level of scrutiny as he'd looked into Armstrong.

You only think he didn't because the result didn't match up to your opinion.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

Tommy79 said:
Tommy79 said:
One very relevant quote.

I think he didn't as he was very friendly with Sky and has wrote Froome's biography, how long do you think he investigated before giving up? how hard did he look without upsetting anyone and remaining such a close ally?

Re:

Franklin said:
Kimmage is simply doing his job. It's sad that this is seen as being a hero.
It's sad because of people like David Walsh wear knee-pads to his Sky interviews so when he slurps them, he doesn't have to feel so uncomfortable. Though listening to Gerry Gallacher take Walsh to task for his bullsh!t was quite entertaining.

Kimmage is a hero for journalists because he hasn't decided that glad-handing and being good buddies with important people is worth completely compromising his journalistic integrity. Kimmage also doesn't really care what flag you fly in your bullsh!t, unlike tossers like Walsh.

Tommy79 said:
One very relevant quote.

When Walsh was looking into Armstrong, he was spouting on about watts per kg, VO2 max, etc...he gets to Froome, and all of a sudden that new-fangled trainy complicated numbers thing is just too much for him to understand...

Anyone who quotes Walsh as a legitimate source for information about Sky is as much of a joke as the man himself. Must be a slurper thing?

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site

Tommy79 said:
Tommy79 said:
One very relevant quote.

I think he didn't as he was very friendly with Sky and has wrote Froome's biography, how long do you think he investigated before giving up? how hard did he look without upsetting anyone and remaining such a close ally?

It was a full season investigating wasn't it? Speaking to current and ex-staff.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

Tommy79 said:

Sorry, I wasn't referring to Walsh being wined and dined by Sky, but I'll let this thread get back to talk of an actual journalist.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Tommy79 said:
5h1teHawk said:

Really, how do you figure that! He is a journalist and a good one! you prefer bad journalism? Or just people who dont call out your favourite teams?

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Tommy79 said:
Tommy79 said:
Tommy79 said:
One very relevant quote.

No it wasn't a full season. Walsh was turning up pre-announced a couple of times a year and then spent the TdF with them.

Walsh has proven on the radio he is not into investigating, re the data on Froome.

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site

Tommy79 said:
Lyon said:
Tommy79 said:
5h1teHawk said:

I enjoyed the revelation that Chris Froome is borderline *** thanks to Kimmage's interview.

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:
Franklin said:
It's sad because of people like David Walsh wear knee-pads to his Sky interviews so when he slurps them, he doesn't have to feel so uncomfortable. Though listening to Gerry Gallacher take Walsh to task for his bullsh!t was quite entertaining.

Kimmage is a hero for journalists because he hasn't decided that glad-handing and being good buddies with important people is worth completely compromising his journalistic integrity. Kimmage also doesn't really care what flag you fly in your bullsh!t, unlike tossers like Walsh.

Citing Vayer as a scientist is evidence of Kimmage having no journalistic integity. Vayer is more a campaigner than an objective scientist, and to pretend otherwise is to grossly mislead readers.

May 26, 2009
Visit site

Ventoux Boar said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Franklin said:

Citing Vayer as a scientist is evidence of Kimmage having no journalistic integity. Vayer is more a campaigner than an objective scientist, and to pretend otherwise is to grossly mislead readers.

And to say Walsh is anything more than a PR guy for Sky is misleading readers too.

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

BYOP88 said:
Ventoux Boar said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Franklin said:

And to say Walsh is anything more than a PR guy for Sky is misleading readers too.

Is this in some way to excuse Kimmage grossly misleading people? Some hero.

May 26, 2009
Visit site

Ventoux Boar said:
BYOP88 said:
Ventoux Boar said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Franklin said:

I don't believe in heroes, I just believe in me.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Ventoux Boar said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Franklin said:

Vayer is a French version of Kerrison. When Sky produced 'data' for Froome, who did they role out? Kerrison. Antoine Vayer is same.

Stop telling lies and trolling.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Ventoux Boar said:
BYOP88 said:
Ventoux Boar said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Franklin said:

Kimmage is not misleading anyone, but then you know that. kimmage would never claim to be a hero. Kimmage is doing his job and doing it well.

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
Ventoux Boar said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Franklin said:

Vayer is a French version of Kerrison. When Sky produced 'data' for Froome, who did they role out? Kerrison. Antoine Vayer is same.

Where?

Also, calling people mutants, isn't ethical journalism, never mind science. It's disingenuous, at best, to suggest that Vayer is an objective observer.

@Benotti:
I've always had a huge amount of respect for Kimmage ever since I read Rough Ride when it was published.
He knows how to tell a good story, which is why I'd read his profiles of athletes from sports I'd barely heard of.
But I'm going to have to take issue with your claim that he's doing his job well with regard to the Vroomster.
I listened to the interview posted a few days ago, and I was disappointed to learn he had no clue how to interpret the numbers presented in the press conference. Seems to me that most posters in the clinic knows more about the science of sport than Kimmage. That's not good reporting. That's just muckraking.
That said, I don't doubt what he's saying. But he should be able to back it up by taking the time to learn about the numbers presented by Sky in the rest day press conference.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Ventoux Boar said:
Benotti69 said:
Ventoux Boar said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Franklin said:

Where?

Also, calling people mutants, isn't ethical journalism, never mind science. It's disingenuous, at best, to suggest that Vayer is an objective observer.

I guess then Vayer brings balance to the joke that is Kerrison (who Froome claims to only have seen twice in 2013) and giving Sky numbers to the guy who pronounced Armstrong clean!

But Antoine Vayer is a working Sports Scientist, just like Kerrison.

Sky fans want it all ways.

TRENDING THREADS