• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paula Radcliffe Speaks out

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

the sceptic said:
gooner wrote:
Stop this doping only view of everything.

She has been vehemently anti-doping and consistent in her views throughout her career. She has even asked for her blood tests to be made public. Is that not enough for you?

how many minutes faster than the state sponsored doping athletes was she again?

"Doping only view of everything"?

Lol, its better than the "clean only view of everything".

Maybe gooner can explain why Radcliffe threatened to sue the Times to stop them from printing her name, if she was in fact innocent. What would an innocent athlete have to hide?

From SKy news twitter:

Russian Athletics Fed spokesperson on Paula Radcliffe: ' there are certain questions to Paula Radcliffe as well, concerning her cleanliness.

lol at all the comments underneath crying about those unfair russians trying to taint clean British girl.

Re:

The Hitch said:
From SKy news twitter:

Russian Athletics Fed spokesperson on Paula Radcliffe: ' there are certain questions to Paula Radcliffe as well, concerning her cleanliness.

lol at all the comments underneath crying about those unfair russians trying to taint clean British girl.

You're going to see a lot of this over the next few days/weeks. I have to say she is very brave taking on the Russians. Or just crazy. Not sure even Lance would have shot one the Russians way.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

thehog said:
The Hitch said:
From SKy news twitter:

You're going to see a lot of this over the next few days/weeks. I have to say she is very brave taking on the Russians. Or just crazy. Not sure even Lance would have shot one the Russians way.

I heard it was Lance's fault the russians started doping to begin with.

the sceptic said:
thehog said:
The Hitch said:
From SKy news twitter:

I did note Tygart was glory hunting on this one. Surely he should be taking care of business on the home front should he not? Or is he in semi-retirement since Lance?

Re:

jens_attacks said:
so from now on i have to cheer even more for mother russia

oh well

Would I lie to you? Would I?! :eek:

2rdg0ld.jpg

The Hitch said:
the sceptic said:
gooner wrote:
Stop this doping only view of everything.

She has been vehemently anti-doping and consistent in her views throughout her career. She has even asked for her blood tests to be made public. Is that not enough for you?

how many minutes faster than the state sponsored doping athletes was she again?

"Doping only view of everything"?

Lol, its better than the "clean only view of everything".

Maybe gooner can explain why Radcliffe threatened to sue the Times to stop them from printing her name, if she was in fact innocent. What would an innocent athlete have to hide?

I can answer that, mud sticks. It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other but if I was a clean sports-person who was told an article was being published that accused me of doping I would also consider suing them.

I'm not saying she's clean and I'm not saying every clean athlete would do the same, but it's certainly a logical step to protect your name, even though rock and a hard place comes to mind.

The article was going to identify her as the person with dodgy blood values. That's all. If she has nothing to hide and is really anti doping, she lets that out and proves it. The backdoor threats route while faking a nice personality for the cameras, is what the Armstrongs of this world do

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

the sceptic said:
thehog said:
The Hitch said:
From SKy news twitter:

Word on the street is that Lance and crew showed them how to do it all. More on next Tuesday.

Re:

The Hitch said:
The article was going to identify her as the person with dodgy blood values. That's all. If she has nothing to hide and is really anti doping, she lets that out and proves it. The backdoor threats route while faking a nice personality for the cameras, is what the Armstrongs of this world do

Like I said, mud sticks and dodgy blood values isn't a small thing in an article about people doping and abusing the system. Not saying it was right, I don't think it was in the end, but I'm sure lots of clean athletes would go the same route to protect themselves and their image which is a huge part of how they make their money.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
Paula Radcliffe lives in a huge house made completely of glass.

And perhaps, being a household name, that glass has become bulletproof..

With the help of those thinkinking she has become too big to fail.

Maybe a comeback, pursuing another WR is needed to take her down?

Or maybe she is just the most gifted marathoner ever.

Transcending doping by other gifted athletes.

King Boonen said:
The Hitch said:

Like I said, mud sticks and dodgy blood values isn't a small thing in an article about people doping and abusing the system. Not saying it was right, I don't think it was in the end, but I'm sure lots of clean athletes would go the same route to protect themselves and their image which is a huge part of how they make their money.

Since when does mud stick? Maurice Greene is well known to have purchased drugs and got let off on a technicality but no one mentions him among doped past cheats. We all know Lewis doped and he was guesst of honour at the Olympics. Linford was just interviewed by channel 4. Millar is releasing books telling people about how cycling is. Roche and Kelly are tv presenters and their colleagues continue to refer to their results as examples of clean cycling from pre Armstrong. I'm yet to meet a single football fan who is actually aware guardiola failed a test.

The attitude in the UK is - if 12 jurors haven't convicted you, you are clean and anyone who says otherwise is bitter.

Paula is out there lecturing people what they should do to prove they are clean. She claims
to be anti doping.

If your theory - that she's merely scared of some bad rep were true, she would not be out there today demanding others take lie detector tests. Its cramesque hypocrisy pure and simple.
Claiming to be transparent and demanding it of others, when the camera lights are on her. Cheating her way out of doing exactly that when it's her turn. Paula is making it very clear why she threatened the times, and it ain't this imaginary "clean athlete fear of being labelled a doper"

One of the dirty laundry trails people follow with Paula is Leonid Shvetsov. He is often pointed to as a prime EPO pusher, based in Albuquerque (Where Paula trained). No bans or sanctions, despite banned athletes like Hellebuyck providing information after his sanction. No connections directly to Paula, but that's often the rumor.

I was bummed that he wasn't named in the report. He's gotten away with egregious doping, for so long. Now he coaches several athletes, and they aren't named either. He's not a national coach, I guess more interested in personal coaching, with his own program available. I was hoping that the report would put pressure on him, to spill some beans. (And as a reminder, he hasn't been sanctioned or anything, the Andreas Kloden of marathons. He has no incentive to talk about what he's done, unless the ceiling is brought down on him. Which it isn't...)

The Hitch said:
King Boonen said:
The Hitch said:

Since when does mud stick? Maurice Greene is well known to have purchased drugs and got let off on a technicality but no one mentions him among doped past cheats. We all know Lewis doped and he was guesst of honour at the Olympics. Linford was just interviewed by channel 4. Millar is releasing books telling people about how cycling is. Roche and Kelly are tv presenters and their colleagues continue to refer to their results as examples of clean cycling from pre Armstrong. I'm yet to meet a single football fan who is actually aware guardiola failed a test.

The attitude in the UK is - if 12 jurors haven't convicted you, you are clean and anyone who says otherwise is bitter.

Paula is out there lecturing people what they should do to prove they are clean. She claims
to be anti doping.

If your theory - that she's merely scared of some bad rep were true, she would not be out there today demanding others take lie detector tests. Its cramesque hypocrisy pure and simple.
Claiming to be transparent and demanding it of others, when the camera lights are on her. Cheating her way out of doing exactly that when it's her turn. Paula is making it very clear why she threatened the times, and it ain't this imaginary "clean athlete fear of being labelled a doper"

Sorry, late reply.

John Leslie is the name that springs to mind in another line of work but it's an impossible question as I can't think of anyone who was widely, publicly accused of doping. It's quite possible many people have brought similar actions that never got reported, people have been denied jobs because of rumours or innuendo and we don't know about it.

I know of people who have lost jobs through accusations of things they didn't do. I also know of a couple of people who have been "black-listed" due to these things, but the list is very small.

And that's not my theory, I think Paula doped and she's covering herself. I answered your question in the general sense about why a clean athlete would do such a thing, not specifically Paula.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
Ouch!

In the space of 12 months, Radcliffe transformed herself from also-ran to how-did-she-run-that?

Her achievements barely seem believable
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/special_events/sports_personality_2002/2546793.stm

Cool story. They say she's clean, and transformed from an also ran to best in the world by running faster...

In her first national race, as a schoolgirl, she finished 299th. So how did she become the world's best distance runner?

In the main, through unbelievable hard work and a unshakeable belief that it would come right if she kept at it.

Radcliffe, unlike some of her rivals, is clean. But her high-profile stance against drugs has won her as many enemies as admirers.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
I don't understand the world we live in.

How can someone at the taxpayer funded bbc write "she is clean", as a fact, when they have no idea whether that is true or not, and not be immediately fired and banned from journalism the next day.
Even the Pravda was more subtle in its days.