• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paula Radcliffe Speaks out

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Wallace said:
This can all be summed up in the ultimate, and general, piece of clinic logic: if there's no evidence that they're doping, that proves how sophisticated their doping program is.

You must not be watching cycling. Ask yourself how many winners of the TdF are known to have doped since Laurent Fignon won it?

Also the question of evidence, when the federations dont care to catch dopers, why expect evidence to be a requirement for proof of doping?

Armstrong got busted by eyewitness testimony, not evidence.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
You must not be watching cycling. Ask yourself how many winners of the TdF are known to have doped since Laurent Fignon won it?

Also the question of evidence, when the federations dont care to catch dopers, why expect evidence to be a requirement for proof of doping?

Armstrong got busted by eyewitness testimony, not evidence.

Jesus wept.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
King Boonen said:
It does seem recently that the loud shouting voices have overtaken any reasonable discussion. This thread is, frankly, ridiculous.

I agree with this, recently some of the arguements have been getting ridiculous and contradictory.

mikeoneill said:
Such was the scene throughout much of Albuquerque's elite running community in the 1990s and earl.............
http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/confessions-eddy-hellebuyck?page=single

the place has a reputation

Has anyone read the article all the way through ? So:
serial adulterer womansier;
guy who gets so paralytic before a major marathon he has to be hospitalised;
is taken to court by one of his tennants over srerious wrong-doing;
conducts currency fraud at customs;
has a huge list of question marks over alleged double dealing with other tennants, packing 6 into a room for 1 or 2, whips shoes and sells them to others;
a whole pile of things, of which if only 20% were true would have any sane person thinking this guy cannot be trusted;

now this guy tells he he got on the sauce for the first time ever in 2001 !

"Starting in 1999, we noticed a trend," Shawn says. "Athletes had new sorts of requests."

Come off it, is she telling us marathons were run by people who had not worked out the benefit of the EPO until 1999 !

Just who are these two taking the p**s out of ? The dumb journo who is noting all this garbage down, or so they really think everyone is a stupid as the people they have been renting the rooms out to ?

"Several of the French guys would arrive at the airport, and when I helped them with their luggage, I felt the ice packs in their backpacks," Hellebuyck says. "This was their EPO. The stuff had to be refrigerated. When it was time to fly home, the guys would offer their leftover EPO to me, free of charge, but I always say no. In fact, I don't want to even know about it. I'm no prude, far from it, but I never doped [back then], even in the days in Belgium

Where is that emoticon - picking yourself up off the floor after laughing your head off.

We know the two versions of the Radcliffe story;
1- clean;
2 - if you can't beat them, join them, but keep up with the "kick em out" stuff because it makes you look good.

The selection of Walsh for her autobiography was something that made me read it. I came out of that with the idea that he packed it with unreadable garbage because he didn't want to write what he thought, and what he thought, he had no evidence for. So he decided let's leave it exactly where it is, an unimaginably dull read, that certainly will not recruit a single human being to her fan club, but does not contain a smidgen of a suggestion that she did anything wrong. Before reading it, I was marginally in the "believers" camp. I didn't find it the tale of athlete who was robbed by cheats. There was no anger burning through.

Why the hell do you want to go an live in Monaco and boast about all the other rich people you meet?

Here's is what a fan thinks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addTwoStar&showViewpoints=0
2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Paula!, 31 May 2012
By
C. CARBERRY "Coleshill Col" (Warwickshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Paula: My Story So Far (Paperback)
As a (former, now injured!) runner, I've often argued with people that Paula Radcliffe is Britain's greatest-ever sports person - check out her list of World Records at a wide range of distances if you can't believe that, her achievements are stunning. Her reputation with the general public has suffered because she failed at the Olympics, but that shouldn't obscure her overall record which is unlikely to ever be equalled by a European. Also friends of mine who know Paula say what an extremely nice, supportive and considerate person she is, not at all like your typical self-obsessed top athlete.

This book, though, came as a real disappointment. She's clearly no writer and doesn't seem to have got much help from David Walsh in that department. Once her childhood is out of the way, the book degenerates into nothing much more than a diary of training and races, you get precious few insights into Paula as a person, you get no idea what makes her "tick", you really don't learn anything about her. I had to give up reading it about 3/4 of the way through, which is rare for me, but reading this book became about as interesting as doing hill reps in my running days - just a case of get your head down, stick with it and hope you don't throw up at the end!

Paula - you deserve better than this. Much better.

An alternative view !

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 12 Jun 2012
By
SLASH - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Paula: My Story So Far (Hardcover)
A superb story!! If you buy this you will not be disappointed. One of the best reads in a long time!!

It's fun reading the alternate view
Ok, so one of the Lance's bots was on a job interview with Sky and needed to show accomplished trolling ability !

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
mikeoneill said:
Such was the scene throughout much of Albuquerque's elite running community in the 1990s and early 2000s—a scene that, according to a number of sources, also involved the use of performance-enhancing drugs by many of the visiting runners. "Starting in 1999, we noticed a trend," Shawn says. "Athletes had new sorts of requests. Where to get a syringe, more privacy, leases not in their names. Athletes started traveling with an additional coach who knew nothing about running
A Swimming coach? A rowing coach? A triathlon coach?
. A prominent distributor resided in Albuquerque. He was a great athlete who, when drunk, rattled off the list of performance-enhancing users. Most of these athletes were winning major marathons."

The principal substance was EPO. A hormone produced by the kidneys that stimulates the production of oxygen-bearing red blood cells, EPO appears naturally in the body. The pharmaceutical version was developed in the late '80s to boost the red-blood-cell counts of patients suffering from anemia associated with kidney disease. An increased level of EPO in the body can enhance the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood and, hence, a runner's endurance. Its benefits to a distance runner accrue during training; a juiced runner can ring up repeated high-quality workouts, with the payoff coming on race day. Shortly after its introduction, EPO was used illicitly by endurance athletes in Europe, especially cyclists; the drug stood at the center of the scandal that rocked the Tour de France bicycle race in 1998. But in distance-running circles, no prominent American or foreign-born marathoner had been implicated through the first decade of its existence,EPO was easy to come by in Albuquerque.

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/confessions-eddy-hellebuyck?page=single

the place has a reputation

radcliffe460.jpg

2008.... makes Froome look obese.

Freddythefrog said:
This book, though, came as a real disappointment. She's clearly no writer and doesn't seem to have got much help from David Walsh in that department. Once her childhood is out of the way, the book degenerates into nothing much more than a diary of training and races,
I think I might look for this tome. The 'diary of training and races'
is exactly what I look for in a book about a top athlete and most
often it is usually missing and replaced with crap about overcoming
great odds and obstacles and prejudice, etc. etc. etc. If I wanted
that kind of book I'd buy Oprah's.

oldcrank said:
.......diary of training and races
is exactly what I look for in a book about a top athlete and most
often it is usually missing and replaced with crap about overcoming
great odds and obstacles and prejudice,

I know just how you feel, wretched book shops full of books of people writing about great odds and obstacles, Churchill, Nelson Mandela, and the TV and radio - they are nearly as bad. This week the press has been full of stuff about that dead guy who was forever droaning on about "I have a dream". Boring, boring, boring ! We heard it all in the 1960's

What we need is a nice calming book - "Club 10 results - a perspective 2011/13 v 1968/70", now I have retired. What crank length do people use? What were their tyre pressures ? Spoke styles?

OldC, did you make a mistake measuring out the CNPtoday ! Kerrywarns people about the side effects(got to love post 25 by luther 1) if you take too much !

Eyeballs Out said:
That world record is going to take some beating.
You may well be right, but I think in the near future there will be a lot more women getting down around the 2hrs 18/17 minutes mark. I know women on average do not have hematocrit levels as high as men, but I have always thought marathon times were in general a bit slow.

The women's marathon world record has certainly been a strange one. Women only started running marathons in the 70's and yet by the mid 80's the top women were running around 2hrs 23/24mins and in 85 Kristiansen ran 2hrs 21mins for the WR, which stood for the next thirteen years until it was broken. It then dropped nearly six minutes in four years to what it is today.

As a runner I have always thought that Radcliffe was one of the more believable athletes. Her PB's at 10k and 5k made running a 2hr 15 marathon possible in my book, but I never expected her to run that fast. Of course I would not be surprised if we found out she had doped, but I like to keep an open mind about these things.

According to Ferrari her weird running action is related to her breathing, so that she can breathe more efficiently. Apparently it is the same for Froome when he looks down at his power metre....that is actually to help him breathe more efficiently. :rolleyes:

beowulf said:
Apparently it is the same for Froome when he looks down at his power metre....that is actually to help him breathe more efficiently.
Indeed, that is a possibility, but it is well known that proper
alignment of the neck and spine allows greater power to be
produced across a great range of activities and sports.

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
That world record is going to take some beating. Not quite as good as the chinese mid - long distance records but probably better than FloJo's sprint records or Kratochvilova's 800m

Paula Radcliffe's Marathon World best time is statistically the greatest
women's running mark in the
record book at all distances currently contested at senior international
championship level

if i'm not mistaken...

Suspicions

mikeoneill said:
Paula Radcliffe's Marathon World best time is statistically the greatest
women's running mark in the
record book at all distances currently contested at senior international
championship level

if i'm not mistaken...

Mike - what points to Radcliffe being suspect ? you seem to have a lot more knowledge and follow the athletics world.

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
That world record is going to take some beating. Not quite as good as the chinese mid - long distance records but probably better than FloJo's sprint records or Kratochvilova's 800m

looks like you were right after all...
i was enquiring on letsrun

W800 - 1:53.28 is worth 1,276 pts
W1500 - 3:50.46 is worth 1,284 pts
W3000 - 8:06.11 is worth 1,294 pts
W5000 - 14:11.15 is worth 1,260 pts
W10,000 - 29:31.78 is worth 1,274 pts
WMarathon - 2:15:25 is worth 1,281 pts

lower score than chinese if that's correct

Cycle Chic said:
Mike - what points to Radcliffe being suspect ? you seem to have a lot more knowledge and follow the athletics world.

* She has the three fastest marathon times in history.
* Her World Record is three minutes faster than any other woman.

The second point is probably the main reason she is suspect.

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
you seem to have a lot more knowledge

i don't have superior knowledge at all

just spend a lot of time on letsrun and other places

paula radcliffe no idea really just a hunch...

there was a lot of $$$ at stake and the fuss about being tested in competition smells a bit fishy

mo farah... i get a doping vibe from his interviews