• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pellizotti been given a 2 year ban [was - prematurely- Pellizotti acquitted !]

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
[mod comment: the real world has caught up with the OP's optimistic assessment of the situation - the thread title has been changed to reflect this].

'PELLO' acquitted !

The TNA, National Anti-Doping Tribunal has acquitted Pellizotti. Clear the reasons for the decision: "There are degrees of certainty sufficient to consider the cyclist accused of crimes being prosecuted."
Recall that the runner was the Venetian was stopped May 3 last year, on the eve of the Tour of Italy, the defendants requested that the UCI outliers in the biological passport. Today, after numerous delays, the sentence. Question? Who returns to five months of racing runner thrown out the window? Who pays for the sleepless nights? Why continue to believe the 'biological passport' means of coercion and not as it should be inductive half to get to track down the cheaters? How is it that the UCI is so cautious with positivity also clearly established by the counter (if Contador) and instead has shown short-sighted in front of values interpreted? This is and should be considered good news for Pellizotti and those who have fought by his side (as well as for us tuttoBICI tuttobiciweb and that we welcome the decision because there has always been opposed to a wicked use of biological passport), also a bitter flap: this will delegitimize the fight against doping. Pellizotti has won, but there are many who have lost. And from these we expect only one thing: resign.

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=33648&tp=n

Biopass adios ..........

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Wow, I knew he was clean all along when he smoked Contador on the insane uphill ski resort tts in the Giro. Comeback 3.0 is right around the corner!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Details, please. How does the biopassport really prove someone is blood doping? Have they definitively proven that hemocrit increases are the result of transfusion? Otherwise, people's levels have to increase at some point......and it doesn't require transfusion for that to happen.

Let's face it. The biopassport is in place to keep riders from dying as a result of insanely high crit levels. It is reliable for nothing else.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Italy is worse then Spain I tell you.

If you take CERA you only get a one year suspension. If you have hard solid proof of blood doping you don't even get a punishment there now.

Sheesh... I hope trash like Di Luca don't get an invite to the spring classics(think he should've gotten a full 2 year ban + Giro results scrapped. As will be Contador's punishment). Makes it easier for Gilbert to finally win LBL.

Does anyone know why Di Luca is still the winner of the points classification anyway? Give it to Menchov already, at least he isn't so stupid to get caught.

Pfft, it's going to be LBL 2010 all over again(only worse).

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Details, please. How does the biopassport really prove someone is blood doping? Have they definitively proven that hemocrit increases are the result of transfusion? Otherwise, people's levels have to increase at some point......and it doesn't require transfusion for that to happen.

Let's face it. The biopassport is in place to keep riders from dying as a result of insanely high crit levels. It is reliable for nothing else.

I rarely agree with Scribe, but he's right about the bolded part. The Biopassport is just the new 50% rule.

Glad Pelli got off. Since everyone else got off, it looked bad to punish only him. He's a doper, but no one deserves to be the UCI scapegoat while the everyone else rides merrily along.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
What is so dangerous about a low reticulocyte level that they had to spend millions on the biopassport? Hematocrit levels haven't been dangerously high in ages.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
The Biopassport is just the new 50% rule.

Correct.

The biological passport programme is simply a continuation of the UCI’s 50% hematocrit farce. Providing that riders do not go beyond the threshold of either the upper limit of the haemoglobin variables of reticulocytes, or the concentration between haemoglobin and reticulocytes is less than the off score limit of 134, then the riders are not ‘doping’.

As has been mentioned in other threads, at the recent anti-doping conference in Australia, Michael Ashenden produced a paper where he micro-dosed athletes with r-EPO and ran the test results through the biological passport programme. Not one subject would have tested positive.

If people honestly think that the implementation of the biological passport programme was the UCI’s attempt to eradicate doping, then they are deluded.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the only important question here is if the uci is going to appeal ?

they just lost vino's case.

the news will definitely cool some uci hot heads who might have preferred berto's case relegated to cas by wada.

all in all, it's a worse news for the uci that the great news for pelli.

python said:
the only important question here is if the uci is going to appeal ?

they won't since the circumstances surrounding Pelli's case are the perfect example of the catastrophic failure that the Bio Passport is for the sport--It's just a tool used to basically "level" doping-or rather "mask" doping as Bernard Kohl once said....

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Brad Lamb said:
Correct.

The biological passport programme is simply a continuation of the UCI’s 50% hematocrit farce. Providing that riders do not go beyond the threshold of either the upper limit of the haemoglobin variables of reticulocytes, or the concentration between haemoglobin and reticulocytes is less than the off score limit of 134, then the riders are not ‘doping’.

As has been mentioned in other threads, at the recent anti-doping conference in Australia, Michael Ashenden produced a paper where he micro-dosed athletes with r-EPO and ran the test results through the biological passport programme. Not one subject would have tested positive.

If people honestly think that the implementation of the biological passport programme was the UCI’s attempt to eradicate doping, then they are deluded.

It actually serves to prove that the UCI are doing what they can to catch the cheaters.

There is a limitation to that for all to see. A rider can take their blood out, re-introduce it at critical points, gain a 10% or more advantage (by some reports), AND totally get away without detection. Do it with glass, metal, undetectable plastics......whatever it takes.

What goes down, must come up. You cannot reliably state that someone's crit levels can't rise naturally. They have to sooner or later. You cannot reliably state that one guys natural 47 is doping compared to another guy's natural 41. Nor can you prove movements in those levels aren't natural.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Personally following this excellent announcement I am 100% convinced that Pellizotti is as innocent as a lamb, like the rest of the Liquigas boys (Kreuziger, Nibali etc.), and has never gone near anything stronger than a sugary cup of tea in his quest to wins lots of races and pots of money.

The fact that Pellizotti went from laughing group to King of the Mountains in the 2009 Tour is proof that hard work and bread and water can indeed turn middling riders into gods of the bike.

I am going to follow his plan and that of the lovely clean lads at Liquigas and hope to win the Tour in about three years. Or the Giro at the very least.

:mad:

Brad Lamb said:

He is also on record as saying the biopassport can't detect blood transfusions. In fact, the two (EPO and transfusions) are now closely related, because as FL explained, EPO is used to raise reticulocyte level following transfusion. Under those conditions, blood parameters basically don't change.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I dont know what to think here. Is this the beginning of the end of the bio passport? Dont forget Valjavec was found innocent by his countrys organisation also. The advantage pendulum looks like it has seriously swung back in the cyclists direction after today....................

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
This is bad news.
While I don't agree with you I think the bio ****port should be trashed. Now that Alberto has revealed the level..picograms for whatever banned substance is needed. The cost of the test goes up and so should the punishments. 5 year min. Have a list of substances that are absolute and off limits no matter how they got there. No other pro sport would mess with all this fuzzy science and damage everything, every other year. Just a battery of complex tests.all riders holding a pro license twice a year..and deep result tests let's say the top 8 guys in events meeting the minimum prize list. That way if Vino stays away from the classics and races at the Gran Kazik Critierium with a total prize list of 1000 euros his behavior will tell the story or if Alberto gets a cold or flu rather than a top 8 finish we can stop with all the stomach disorders and food poisoning BS. When the director tells the rider to slam on his brakes rather than get a podium or top 8 that will tell a story also. I hope Pellizotti gets damages that exceed whatever he can make until the end of his career . The lack of standards and unequal punishments are BS

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone actually know the exact reasons why Pelli was targeted anyway. I know there were two off tests but not specifically what the off tests were. The only thing I know that were reported were the dates of the tests, not the scores, or even approximations of the score. So, although I don't think this will be the case, the bio pass could still be useful in other cases.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
I rarely agree with Scribe, but he's right about the bolded part. The Biopassport is just the new 50% rule.

Glad Pelli got off. Since everyone else got off, it looked bad to punish only him. He's a doper, but no one deserves to be the UCI scapegoat while the everyone else rides merrily along.

+1. And this isn't really that bad, news-wise. It shines a brighter light on the UCI's uneven application of their authority. Although Franco may not be "guilty" I wonder how long his innocence will last.

I think this is good news.

Its not like Pellizoti hasnt been punished, he basically had a 1 year ban, though not officialy. He was a favourite for the Giro.

But the evidence against him wasnt concrete.

Others have got away with doping it would be a tad unfair if he got 2 years for suspicious blood values.

Aguirre said:
this is very good news!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry for you, you think all cyclist are guilty, do you?

Next, contador cleared, sorry folks!
It's bad news that the biological passport is not working as intended, because if it did it would be a very useful anti-doping tool. I still think it's good if it can prevent doping from getting too silly, but even for that purpose Pellizotti being acquitted is bad news. Of course if he's innocent it's good news that he got off, but while I don't believe all riders are dopers, I do think it's quite likely Pellizotti in particular dopes.

I also think the biological passport is good because it can open new paths for anti-doping in the future.

And this has nothing to do with Contador.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Brad Lamb said:
Correct.

To the bolded - yes and no.

Remember, the Bio Passport WAS introduced to sanction athletes, not just control their doping practises.
Of course that was all part of the PR drive to suggest the UCI was doing something and restore some credibility.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Aguirre said:
this is very good news!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry for you, you think all cyclist are guilty, do you?

Next, contador cleared, sorry folks!
It's bad news in that the Biopassport is flawed. Meaning an innocent rider is no safer than a guilty rider.