• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Peloton faves & foes: Colours. Mast. Nail.

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I've found a lot of the postings post Stelviogate (unintentionally) very amusing thanks to thinly veiled riderhate/fanboyism.

Obviously, this is only going to get worse in July.

So, I thought we need a place of reference - where do Forum users' allegiances lie?

Current riders only, fill in the following:
------------------------------------------------------------
Favourites:

Foes:

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children:

Any team comments:
------------------------------------------------------------

Be nice if you included any reasoning, even if it is rabid hatred or blind nationalism.
No judgement must be passed regardless whether someone's like/dislike is Froome, Contador, or a moto-passing Quintana.
Allegiances only is the point.

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
My contribution:

Favourites: Anyone from a country ending stan (obvious) or Eritrea (I like these unusual outposts). Anyone who has ever ridden a cross bike competitively (I try, I fail).

Foes: Anyone who dopes and comes back with NO contrition. Hi AC, Piti.
And Brad.

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children: Sergey Lagutin.

Any team comments: Colombia. Katyusha (especially if they bring back that awesome Kolobnev champions jersey)

Michael_Jackson_popcorn.gif

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Favourites: Riders who attack and entertain (contador, nibali, pirazzi, rolland, etc.)

Foes: Riders who do not attack/do not try to win/are happy with a podium place/protect podium place(valverde, evans). Sprinters (Cavendish, especially when he is being constantly mentioned by TV announcers during a mountain stage in a GT). Riders who go alien (Alien, on planet ventoux).

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children: There are some beautiful women cyclists, so no need to get surgery.

Any team comments: What?

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Favourites: The underdogs

Foes: Fat a$$ sprinters

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children: Il travesti Sella

Any team comments: Neri Sottoli burn my eyes

Favourites: Taylor Phinney, Phil Gaimon, the Chavanel brothers, Joaquim Rodríguez, Fabian Cancellara, Luis Lemus, French riders in general, USA based Continental riders in general.

Foes: I liked the answer someone else had about riders returning from bans who express no remorse.

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children: The assumption that anyone who reads this forum and responds to this thread is male makes me a little sad.

Any team comments: I like Garmin Sharp, UnitedHealthCare, and various Continental USA teams. I really enjoyed watching CCC Polsat Polkowice race in the Tour of Norway last week.

Favourites: Riders who attack, entertain, have class, have a cool style and ride to win (Contador Nibali). Bonus points for having a personality (Cav), having a cool background backgrond story (Contador), being Dutch (Weening, TGBM, Keldermerckx) and general awesomeness (Aru, Samu, Hoogerland)
Foes: Boring predictable racers, who's presence is a race just makes it more of a predictable snoozefest (Evans, Wiggins, Gerrnas). I also hate riders that excessively claim they're the proof of clean cycling (Fu Wiggins, Froome), cause saying prooves nothing, still have to see a Jellow Jersey on the 2nd rest day in the tour getting asked if he dopes before suddenly and casually answering "yeah, actually I do". Also big minus points for being on team Sky or being a whiner/**** (Wiggins, Froome)
Rider I'd have sex gender reallignment surgery to have his children 1. I don't think it biologically works that way
2. No, just no, my eternal praise is enough
3. I'm sure there are some real babes in the female peleton, but I barely follow that
Any team comments I like teams with crazy managers (Saxo), I hate teams that excessively claim to be the the proof of a new era (really, **** Sky) Bonus points for being a Dutch Team

Favourites: Any rider who (even just once) makes me cheer like crazy. Also counts if the next thing that happened is me wondering who the heck that was.
An example: I didn't really know who Iljo Keisse was, until that Tour of Turkey stage.

Foes: Nobody, really.

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children: I wouldn't need a surgery in the first place.

Any team comments: I basically follow every WT team + several others on FB. Half of those I can't even read their updates...

:)Friends:
Too many to list... Main ones: Contador, Purito, Sagan, Cavendish, Boonen, Quintana, Hoogerland :) , Chavanel.

:mad:Foes:
Mainly riders who call out dopers but are suspicious too... And the ones that proclaim they're clean but I really doubt. Can't stand them. Kittel, Froome, you name them.
Oh, and Valverde :p

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children:
No need for that
Bertie of course, and Eros Capecchi and Daniele Bennati

Any team comments
I like Saxo but not the owner. If Tinkov would just go away I'd be so happy.

I dislike Sky and to a lesser extent BMC, but there are some riders on those teams I like.

I also like teams in crazy bright kits like Bardiani and Yellow Fluo, they make me happy :)

Favs: Astana team, especially Nibali, Aru, Landa, Kangert, Agnoli and Tira
Everyone that attacks, so: AC, Pirazzi, Rolland, Chavanel, Voigt, Txurruka, Hansen, Riblon, Voeckler etc...
Also like Kash, Ricco, Horner, Quintana

Foes: Kiserlovski

Something about babies: Nibali ofc.

General about some team/s: Astana is my team. Yea, i cheer for teams, like in football :p

Favourites: None, I'm a fan of race action, not individual riders. Show panache, balls and I will support you for the day.

Foes: Deep trough, narrow high peak riders, can't take them serious.

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children: None, can't afford to have more children.

Any team comments: Why black or blue all the time? And please respect the National jerseys.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Favourites: Dan Martin, love the Colombian renaissance in the sport, Phinney. I'm also taking a liking to Adam Yates after his recent form.

Foes: Contador, Valverde, and Scarponi, for clinic reasons, Sagan and Wiggins more on a personal level,

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children: No comment. I abstain. It doesn't even come into my thinking. :p

Any team comments: A strong dislike for Saxo and Astana as I don't like the guys running the teams. Giant-Shimano offer little in the way of excitement and I can't take to the team whatsoever as a result.

Don't have any strong allegiance to one team.

Friends: Nibali, the Irish guys, all riders who have zero pro wins.

Foes: Valverde obviously, Froome a bit

Gender/Family save: Dan Martin

Team Comments: Generally anti the Skytrain™ (excludes the likes of Stannard, Swift, Deignan etc) mostly just the GC guys. Very pro Garmin.

Favourites: The Irish guys, nationalist blah blah blah but they do seem like nice people - Martin, Deignan, Bennett, even Nico is a much nicer human being than his dad. Ian Stannard aka Boxer the work horse from Animal Farm - the honest man of Sky. Thibaut Pinot and anyone else who gets the descending yips and needs a hug (except Andy Schleck and Wiggins). Any sprinter who manages to beat the big three in a straight sprint. Tony Martin. Betancur and any other pie eating mountain goats. Guys who end up leading the GC in the first week of a GT and hang on for dear life for way longer than possible. The Frenchies who go nuts after random breakaway wins in July. Taylor Phinney. Any domestique who gets an opportunity when his leading drops out and runs with it. Arrendondo because his name is fun to say.

Foes: Anyone pulling faces like Voeckler, Voight, etc. Chris Horner. Tom Boonen. Contador. Basso. Sagan. Pierre Roland.

Rider I'd have gender realignment surgery to have his children: Hmmm no.

Any team comments: Like: no ProTour teams I support unreservedly. An Post (see: nationalism). Dislike: Astana, Katusha, Tinkoff

Favourites: I like most riders. I do believe cycling is an extremely tough sport where no whiners are allowed and I admire the whole peloton for the effort they put day in and day out. Among my favorites there's surely a place for young itlian talents (Moser, Aru, Battaglin, Rosa) and youngsters in general (Kelderman, Degenkolb, Bardet, Lutsenko, Tom Dumoulin). I tend to prefer aggressive racing (Nibali, Contador, Dan Martin), sometimes I like a rider just for his name (Benat Intxausti) or his nationality (Kudus, Arashiro) or just for the sake of it (Bobby G, Phinney).

Foes: I struggle to find a ride I absolutely loathe. The one I like the least is Valverde.

Any team comments: It's very sad to see such a prestigious team like Cannondale (ex Liquigas) with no results and overall lack of talent.

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Favourites: I like a lot of riders for many different reasons (being an Australian, attacking riding, being determined, or I just like their name). Cadel Evans, Michael Matthews, Simon Gerrans, Matthew Goss, Purito, Kwiatkowski, Pierre Rolland, Contador, Nibali, Pozzovivo, Cancellara, Degenkolb, Majka, McCarthy, Hepburn.

Foes: Some riders I just don't like for no particular reason (or they beat my favourite riders), but I have more fun watching cycling with riders I want to win and others I don't want to win. Valverde, Froome, Cavendish, Costa, Uran, Hesjedal.

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children:I'll pass :)

Any team comments: I like BMC, Orica, Katusha and Trek for their present and previous riders.

Favourites:

Froome, Cavendish, Yates twins, Voigt, Kennaugh, G Thomas, Rolland, Stannard.

Foes:

Valverde - wheel sucking helmet. Sagan - have tried to like him so much, cannot do it and always want to punch his cocky little face when I see him. Can't understand it but it's just pure irrational hate.

As for the babies question I suppose I couldn't turn down an offer from the likes of Laura Trott, Lizzy Armistead or Annette Edmonson!
Team:

Love Greenedge, they are a team is want to ride for I if was good enough to be pro. Still a Sky fan although there are a few things i don't really agree with.

favs:

new, young up and coming cyclists like quintana,aru,kelderman and guys with balls like hesjedal

foes:

i dont care much for pure sprinters,if you want to sprint just do the track and cut off that 200 km between start and finish...

(i also dont like czechs in a race because of certain hilariously biased commentator :D )

something something babies: brb have to check babes on bikes thread

teams: i love obscure italian and spanish continental teams because they change names every season - somehow androni giocattoli is always involved

Favourites: Hoogerland, Kelderman, Terpstra, Poels(nationalism :) ); Hansen, Rolland, Purito, Nibali, Contador(attacking style); also any small sprinter or domestique

Foes: Gesink(always whining and I dislike his attitude), Valverde(said numerous times before), the big 3 sprinters(i love underdogs :)), Voeckler.

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children: Cancellara! Bear children :)

Any team comments: dislike Sky, Bardiani has won me this tour, Orica Greenedge because besides cycling they are extremely entertaining(music vids) and I was a huge fan of Euskaltel...

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Favorites:
Moser, Contador, Majka, Kwia, Rabottini, Aru, Nibali, Bouhanni, Coqard, Guardini.

Riders I Usually Like:
Valverde, JRod, Gilbert

Foes:
Simon Gerrans, Horner, Andy Schleckette, and Greipel

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Favourites: I like most riders. I do believe cycling is an extremely tough sport where no whiners are allowed and I admire the whole peloton for the effort they put day in and day out. Among my favorites there's surely a place for young itlian talents (Moser, Aru, Battaglin, Rosa) and youngsters in general (Kelderman, Degenkolb, Bardet, Lutsenko, Tom Dumoulin). I tend to prefer aggressive racing (Nibali, Contador, Dan Martin), sometimes I like a rider just for his name (Benat Intxausti) or his nationality (Kudus, Arashiro) or just for the sake of it (Bobby G, Phinney).

THIS. I agree with everything said here!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Favourites: Lots of riders, but to name some of the main ones; Nibali, Quintana, Sagan, Cance, Phinney, Tejay, Schleck, Contador, Betancur, Stybar, Dombro, Aru, Stannard, Pirazzi, Arredondo, Purito, Rabottini, Keisse, Haussler, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. But basically any rider that will go out on the attack, animate a race, or make the other riders in it hurt. Also any rider on any of my CQ teams.

Foes: Froome, Wiggins, Fugslang. Plus most other riders that will complain or whine or do nothing but wheelsuck others. also a couple that I'm indifferent to (don't really like them at all, but can stand them) Valverde, Gerrans.

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children: I'll stay away from this one. But there are some pretty good looking female pro cyclists out there...;)

Any team comments: Mostly like riders, but a few teams I do tend to like slightly more then others include Movistar, BMC, Bardiani, MTN, Bissel.

Boonen above anyone else.

(Some of the) Other riders I like:
Betancur
Gaudin
Pozzovivo
Agnoli
Aru
Nibali
Tiralongo
Boom
Keldermerckx
Ten Dam