• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Permanent big toe numbness?

Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
Luckily, I've never suffered from numbness of any kind on road or off road.

However, I've just returned from an extended 750km backpacking trip to Mexico. After the 2nd day, I experienced numbness in both my big toes, potentially caused by new -ish cycling shoes and badly positioned cleats.

The trouble is 4 weeks on and it still hasn't cleared up. I've heard of foot pain and numbness during a ride but I would have thought that removing the shoes and not riding would have cured the problem.

Anyone out there ever experience the same?

Reactions: khlifhummar
Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

The toes can be moved and are a normal colour but it's the sensation I get when I press the toes, either against the floor or with my hand, that's not.

The feeling in both toes is deadened somewhat, especially to the outer side. It feels as though there is definite nerve damage. The left more than the right.

When not touched but moving them, there is a slight tingling sensation but nothing out of the normal.

I've googled everywhere and if it helps others, lightly pressing on a firm knobbly massage ball, carefully opening out the metatarsals beyond the ball of the foot seems to help momentarily.

It could be that wearing nothing other than the same cycling shoes for nearly two weeks, I may have compressed the nerves sufficiently to cause medium term damage but it would be helpful to hear if others have had this problem.

Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
Yes. Thanks for that sentiment.

It was a pretty intense expedition and so some sort of injury isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

I'm doing the Jordan Bike Trail in November so have time to rest it.

It's just hard to know whether rest or exercise will help and I'm not in a position to seek medical assistance beyond consulting the Internet!

Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
Just for the record, the numbness in both toes has subsided now, 8 weeks after.

It does seem as though I damaged the nerves, either through the constant use of cycling shoes over two weeks or badly positioned cleats.

Strangely, the numbness seemed to clear up on my return to cycling a couple of weeks ago.

TRENDING THREADS