• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 121 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....don't mean to pile or anything but youse might find this interesting.....you know, just to put things into a bit of perspective...

EDITED BY MODS: If posters want to watch crash compilations on YouTube they can do, we don't need links to them on here.
Thank you.

....sorry about that.....was not aware...

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
vortecjr said:
I have been analysing the video of the crash back and forth and in slow motion and it appears to me that Mark ran over a drainage grate located just under the barrier which caused his front wheel to hop twice (the number of bounces is sketchy). Following the two hops his wheel appears to loose traction and slide to his left. More to follow.

....nice catch .....and in this video you can see Demare changing his line to avoid it.....which may help explain his swerve to the inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykdWbvtWprI

Cheers

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Dr. Watson said:
Bora appealed to CAS on jury decision regarding Sagan DSQ and hope they could somehow reinstate Sagan in TDF? would that be even possible?
Link to the article: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/07/bora-hansgrohe-awaiting-outcome-appeal-cas-sagan-disqualification-action-possible/

It's a big can of worms considering he'll have missed a few stages, so it would probably be better to let it be.

They could reclaim some of their lost exposure by taking him in the team car and popping wheelies at the busy areas/finishes + photos with the fans instead.

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Dr. Watson said:
Bora appealed to CAS on jury decision regarding Sagan DSQ and hope they could somehow reinstate Sagan in TDF? would that be even possible?
Link to the article: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/07/bora-hansgrohe-awaiting-outcome-appeal-cas-sagan-disqualification-action-possible/

I'm predicting a decision in that case some time in January.
If they're working quickly.

This will be about money. If CAS say wrongful DQ, compo. claim by Bora for costs and lost revenue as a result of their decision.

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site

Electress said:
RedheadDane said:
Dr. Watson said:

This will be about money. If CAS say wrongful DQ, compo. claim by Bora for costs and lost revenue as a result of their decision.

Is that a matter for CAS though? Regarding money

Dr. Watson said:
Electress said:
RedheadDane said:
Dr. Watson said:

I don't think so, but I think it would give a compensation case more weight.

Electress said:
RedheadDane said:
Dr. Watson said:

And they will probably win. UCI might DQ Sagan for whatever reason, but according to their own rules, they had no right to change their first punishment after appeal of DD. :lol:

Dr. Watson said:
Electress said:
RedheadDane said:
Dr. Watson said:

Actually, come to think of it, this might be a reason CAS won't work that quickly. They don't need to work quickly. The Sagan back in the race ship has already sailed.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Bora statement, my emphasis in bold:
The Team and Peter Sagan, represented by their counsels Prof. Dr. Rainer Cherkeh (Hannover) and Dr. Maurice Courvoisier (Walder Wyss AG, Basel), have lodged an appeal with the CAS yesterday including an urgent motion to suspend the decision of the “Commissaires Panel” taken on late July 4, 2017 and confirmed by the President of the UCI.

The Team and Peter Sagan would like to reiterate their position that Peter Sagan did not cause, let alone deliberately, the fall of Mark Cavendish on the last 200m of the fourth stage on July 4, 2017. Peter Sagan stayed on his line and could not see Mark Cavendish on the right side.

Although the UCI CYCLING REGULATIONS provide unambiguously that it is mandatory to hear a rider before any disciplinary decision is taken (Rule 12.2.006: ‘The Commissaires Panel may judge the matter only if the offending party has had a chance to defend his point of view […]’), Peter Sagan has not been given an opportunity to explain to the ‘Commissaires Panel’ his point of view.

If the motion to suspend, on which the CAS will have to decide now, is granted, Peter Sagan will immediately re-engage in the Tour and, together with the team BORA – hansgrohe, compete for a successful Tour de France 2017.
https://www.bora-hansgrohe.com/en/press/argonnews201707tdfcas/argonnews201707tdfcas/10983587

This stinks even more than it seemed so initially.

SKSemtex said:
Electress said:
RedheadDane said:
Dr. Watson said:

And they will probably win. UCI might DQ Sagan for whatever reason, but according to their own rules, they had no right to change their first punishment after appeal of DD. :lol:
Which rule states this? Because the provisional measures regulations allow them to change their mind and hear from anyone they want to.

This regulation is the most interesting:

12.2.006 The Commissaires Panel may judge the matter only if the offending party has had a chance to defend his point of view or if, being present when summoned, he fails to respond.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
This is stupid. They want Sagan to be allowed back into the race? That's just not possible - sorry.
But I'm afraid CAS won't realize this and will put ASO in an impossible situation.

No they know it's not possible. But since they did lose the highest paid rider in the whole of cycling in the main event to an unjustified DQ they want to get as much value for money as possible by just carrying the story on and making sure Bora still gets talked about. It probably sets them up better for any legal compensation later I would guess aswell.

RedheadDane said:
LaFlorecita said:
This is stupid. They want Sagan to be allowed back into the race? That's just not possible - sorry.
But I'm afraid CAS won't realize this and will put ASO in an impossible situation.

You're expecting CAS to reach a decision in this before the Tour finishes? :rolleyes:
Yes. Bora filed for a quick trial. They even expected/hoped to get a reply before yesterday's start.

LaFlorecita said:
RedheadDane said:
LaFlorecita said:

You're expecting CAS to reach a decision in this before the Tour finishes? :rolleyes:
Yes. Bora filed for a quick trial. They even expected/hoped to get a reply before yesterday's start.

I think by CAS standards a "quick trial" means "some times before the end of this year."

RedheadDane said:
LaFlorecita said:
RedheadDane said:
I think by CAS standards a "quick trial" means "some times before the end of this year."
No, really. That's not the case. I know we've mainly seen very long, drawn out CAS cases in cycling but they can deliver a quick decision in urgent cases and upon request.

In this case it's so urgent CAS would need to invent time-travelling. :p
Yeah, not sure why they thought they would get an answer in less than a day. I'd say it takes at least a week for all parties to be heard and a decision to be reached. Anyway, there's no way he can be re-instated now.

LaFlorecita said:
RedheadDane said:
LaFlorecita said:
RedheadDane said:
No, really. That's not the case. I know we've mainly seen very long, drawn out CAS cases in cycling but they can deliver a quick decision in urgent cases and upon request.

In this case it's so urgent CAS would need to invent time-travelling. :p
Yeah, not sure why they thought they would get an answer in less than a day. I'd say it takes at least a week for all parties to be heard and a decision to be reached. Anyway, there's no way he can be re-instated now.

CAS can suspend a decision or order interim measures if they feel that there is a case to be heard.

TRENDING THREADS