Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 186 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That’s just in. Even off form he can win green because he doesn’t have to win anything at the Tour. Even off form he will get top 5 in sprints and then top 3 in intermediate sprints and then he will win the sprint points that other sprinters can’t reach.
I don’t think his climbing level is near what it used to be. I can’t help thinking a sprinter with a decent climbing level could really push him. Of course, the 2 obvious candidates to do that are Matthews and Demare, and neither of them are going. And VanAert has other duties and Alaphilippe will have other ambitions. Bennett and Ewan are a level below on the hills.

If Wout has the other business in TDF I think only COVID in the BORA team can stop him here.
Btw. the rule about disqualification after 2 positive cases in team is pretty hard. I smell huge french conspiracy theories in case Pinot wins and Jumbo or Ineos would have to be sent hope. :D

Reactions: Sandisfan
If Wout has the other business in TDF I think only COVID in the BORA team can stop him here.
Btw. the rule about disqualification after 2 positive cases in team is pretty hard. I smell huge french conspiracy theories in case Pinot wins and Jumbo or Ineos would have to be sent hope. :D
Yes covid could very well be the thing that brings him down. Ugh just go away.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sep 5, 2020
Hi there. I’m new to the sport of cycling. Started watching in 2018 after purchasing my first road bike in 2017, and now here I am.

I’m a big fan of sagan and yesterday’s stage was very entertaining from start to finish, a rarity (I think?) it felt like I was watching the Paris Roubaix winning version of sagan, the work done by Bora should have been rewarded with a sagan win. His chain fell off? Harsh.

Sagan hasn’t won a stage for over a year now (covid has something to do with this) but for a rider as gifted as sagan the stat is still pretty brutal. I’m certain he’s declining, what does the immediate future hold for him in terms of wins? Can we expect 1 or 2 wins a year now? + a couple more green jerseys at TDF ? Less? More?

I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts

To be fair, with Sagan I'm unsure if he is actually on the decline in terms of what his body is capable of or if it has a lot to do with mentality and a lack of hunger. People have pointed out in the last few days that he went through some tough times lately and as he has won so much already anyway and as he had seemingly always raced with a lot of joy I can absolutely see motivation being an issue for him.
I wouldn't be surprised if his peak years are over but I don't think he is done winning big races.

Hi there. I’m new to the sport of cycling. Started watching in 2018 after purchasing my first road bike in 2017, and now here I am.

I’m a big fan of sagan and yesterday’s stage was very entertaining from start to finish, a rarity (I think?) it felt like I was watching the Paris Roubaix winning version of sagan, the work done by Bora should have been rewarded with a sagan win. His chain fell off? Harsh.

Sagan hasn’t won a stage for over a year now (covid has something to do with this) but for a rider as gifted as sagan the stat is still pretty brutal. I’m certain he’s declining, what does the immediate future hold for him in terms of wins? Can we expect 1 or 2 wins a year now? + a couple more green jerseys at TDF ? Less? More?

I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts
To be fair, with Sagan I'm unsure if he is actually on the decline in terms of what his body is capable of or if it has a lot to do with mentality and a lack of hunger. People have pointed out in the last few days that he went through some tough times lately and as he has won so much already anyway and as he had seemingly always raced with a lot of joy I can absolutely see motivation being an issue for him.
I wouldn't be surprised if his peak years are over but I don't think he is done winning big races.
If you look at his results his wins dropped off after the accident in the Tour de France a coupe of years ago when he went over the side of the road and landed on the rock and got a Giant Bruise (hemtoma?) on his Buttocks, I think it has cost him some power/explosiveness up till now. I hope, but don't know if he will ever get back to where he was.

Reactions: Red Rick and yaco
I was thinking the same, as in, that he may be declining.
I'm curious to know if he dropped some weight whether he could win LBL or even Giro di Lombardia.
That was speculated about a few years ago when he was winning the Tour of California, and leading breaks full of climbers over Cat 1 passes in the Tour. Supposedly he did lose a bit of weight around then but it led to reduced power and worse results. He bulked back up a bit and won Flanders and Roubaix, and if anything he's heavier again now.

Put more simply, he maybe kinda tried it, it didn't work, and if he were to ever try it again, the ship has probably sailed.

Reactions: lenric
He looks a long way off in terms of form but his race craft and ability to maintain position near the top 20 in the pack permanently when the break is looking to form or there is threat of splits due to wind conditions is still as ever present as ever.

Aug 17, 2020
I think we should wait another year before concluding Sagan's declining. Afterall this is an exceptional year.
Exactly. He hasn’t looked his normal self but this is a bizarre year so no conclusions can be reached. My guess if this was a normal year we wouldn’t even be talking about him. He’s that good. He’s blown everyone away for 7 years setting crazy points records.

Reactions: jmdirt
If you look at his results his wins dropped off after the accident in the Tour de France a coupe of years ago when he went over the side of the road and landed on the rock and got a Giant Bruise (hemtoma?) on his Buttocks, I think it has cost him some power/explosiveness up till now. I hope, but don't know if he will ever get back to where he was.
Sadly I think Sagan is exactly the type of rider where a small drop in ability collapses his results really badly. A small drop of speed eliminates his chances in a lot of bunch sprints, a small drop in climbing eliminates his presence from smaller groups where he could still win, and he also doesn't win puncheur finishes anymore.

Reactions: jmdirt
Ok so what’s Bora‘s plan? they have seven riders left and no GC position. They have strong rouleurs but their climbing ability is limited with one of their three climbers dnf and the other two not at their best. Sagan has what 68 points to make up. Presumably they are going to roll the dice, but how and when?

Ok so what’s Bora‘s plan? they have seven riders left and no GC position. They have strong rouleurs but their climbing ability is limited with one of their three climbers dnf and the other two not at their best. Sagan has what 68 points to make up. Presumably they are going to roll the dice, but how and when?
They have to go hard and hope Sagan can maximize the points gained that Bennett cannot and maybe get him to OTT.

ASK THE COMMUNITY