• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
del1962 said:
Sagan often seems isolated in the big races, either his team need to find better support riders for him or he needs to move to a different team to fulfill his classics ambitions

Personally I think he just needs some better support in the team he is in. What other team could give him the attention and support he would need/want? A lot of the other teams have their stars or specialize in other races.

Not very smart tactically but overall a good race. Certainly I like him better today than yesterday. I would like him to skip american races and another sponsors commitments and really focus on the classics. He can win all of them but for now he's one down on guys like Terpstra, VanSummeren, Goss....

MatParker117 said:
Tinkoff, Alonso, Sky?

BMC!
Hushovd, Evans and Gilbert are all out of contract after this year(IIRC) and they have a really strong team, but their leaders aren't performing in the cobbled classics.

SKY could be good in classics, but it would be Cavendish all over again in the Tour, and besides i think SKY are happy to let Stannard (+ Swift, EBH, GT, Wiggo) have these races as their goals.

If Contador stays and continues to be as strong as this year it would be another Cav-at-SKY-scenario(or Evans at Lotto...), but i think Oleg is willing to give it a go, but i hope Sagan eyes the danger.If Contador leaves the team would need a new star, and unless a new Quintana shows up Sagan would be the best option, they'd need massive investment in their classics squad to help Sagan properly though.

Alonso needs a star and again Sagan is the obvious choice, they would of cause have to sign a number of strong riders to support him. As a team Alonso is still an open question because we don't know what kind of team they want's to become, maybe they'll sign a star and them build around him or maybe they'll sign anumber of team leaders and divide the season between them.

If they all offer the same amount of money(of cause they won't), then i think he should choose BMC, depending on what kind of race programme and goals they would give him.

MatParker117 said:
Sky/BMC maybe but only in the classics and in one of the grand tours.

I don't know about Sky. They focus completely on GC at the tour and Sagan goes for the green jersey at the Tour. We saw in 2012 that they don't support a sprinter and a GC leader very well.

The Hitch said:
BMC is the graveyard of one day champions.

True, but that could change with Allan Pieper. IF Sagan was with them, they would simply have to stop trying to have 5 different leaders.

OPQS :D I wonder how many races would be won by other team during the spring.

Just joking.

I thing the biggest problem of Sagan is not his domestiques but missing strong co-leader able to win the races. "Sagan card" is too readable a to easy to play against. OK so he lose some races in favour of his co-leader on the other hand he can win the "big" one next time.

Other teams: SKY BMG

Jspear said:
Personally I think he just needs some better support in the team he is in. What other team could give him the attention and support he would need/want? A lot of the other teams have their stars or specialize in other races.

Agreed. He just needs Cannondale to recruit 2 or 3 solid endurance riders.

Of the potential moves people have mentioned, I think Sky would be the best choice. Although perhaps Stannard/Thomas would want to leave.

No talk of Garmin? Seems ideal to me. Support from Langaveld, Van Summeren, Nuyens...

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Van Summeren and Nuyens haven't really been setting the cobbles alight since their big wins, have they? They might be able to do a decent job as domestiques (they would have to improve from their current level, especially Nuyens), but other teams like BMC or Sky would be able to provide better quality and higher level of domestique for him.

Plus, not sure Garmin could afford Sagan.

Afrank said:
Van Summeren and Nuyens haven't really been setting the cobbles alight since their big wins, have they? They might be able to do a decent job as domestiques (they would have to improve from their current level, especially Nuyens), but other teams like BMC or Sky would be able to provide better quality and higher level of domestique for him.

Plus, not sure Garmin could afford Sagan.

This is true, they would of course be domestiques, but no worse than the support he currently has. Plus he'd have Langaveld, who I would guess would be happy enough to be his luitenant. Unlike particularly BMC, who have multiple big names who, whilst under performing, still command protection. They also have TJ, maybe Cadel, for the tour. Garmin would be devoting some resources to Talansky, but unless he improves quite a lot, they could definitely put a lot of their focus on Sagan.
With Sky he'd be completely left to his own devices in the Tour. And as I said I'm not sure Thomas, Stannard & Wiggins(!) would be happy to dom in the classics in future. Thomas already seems quite bitter about it:

"“I was hoping that Brad would hit them in the end, but I guess he didn’t felt confident in doing so. Maybe he was waiting for Fabian to try something, I don’t know. I committed myself for him and that was it.”

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Sagan needs to learn how to ride on cobbles. And that might sound strange, but that's ultimately his weak point in these classics
His weak point is, more than anything, the fact that it's almost impossible to win the monuments as a marked man with a fast sprint, unless you're: 1) the strongest rider in the race or 2) have an insanely strong team.

Boonen could win classics being the 1# marked man and having Sagan's characteristics, but he was (often) the strongest AND had the best team.

Gilbert has had more or less the same problem as Sagan since 2011, he's still marked, but he's nowhere near the strongest and his team isn't good enough to compensate for that.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
TourOfTexas said:
Hes either under trained or over raced this season. After a rest, he'll be back to dominate in the Tour.

He's still going to enter in Tour of California and probably some other race before the Tour, so not much rest at all.

But the green jersey he's waiting for him again.

TRENDING THREADS