• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 23, 2013
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
Reminds me of Philippe Gilbert in 2012 a little bit, which is not a good sign.
He is not that bad though so he might still make it back. He is not finished, I think.

I think he'd probably settle for Gilbert's 2012 palmar?s.

(Unless you mean it's a bad sign that Sagan might be on-course to win the WCRR, in which case my irrational dislike of him would agree with you.)

?While it would have been better tactically for Peter, if he had waited, it provided him with the opportunity to test his shape and to give his legs a proper beating. The most important is that he?s peaking at the Classics, but he?ll also get several chances at Tirreno-Adriatico?

hopefully riis will teach him some tactics by then too. He's not in cannondale any more, he could try relying on his team.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
tomorrow said:
hopefully riis will teach him some tactics by then too. He's not in cannondale any more, he could try relying on his team.

I couldn't agree more. He should have used his team more. Right on the gravel when he started attacking, he still got 3 TS around him. He should have just waited and gauge his form. Because after that he started fading, and roman ended up finishing 11th? Sagan to me is a pure, sheer, brute raw power. He is very very strong but he lack of venesh tactical mastery. He is still very young, I hope under Riis he is honing his tactical sense.

Btw does anyone notice that he looks a little behind in form compare to the other classic contenders? I don't know if this is intended to keep him peak at the right race? TS has been beating the drum about 'winning the race that matters' = the monument?

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Btw does anyone notice that he looks a little behind in form compare to the other classic contenders? I don't know if this is intended to keep him peak at the right race? TS has been beating the drum about 'winning the race that matters' = the monument?

I would sure hope he is going to peak? Because reading Bjarne's comments yesterday. It seems he less then happy.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Riis could not help him much at Strade as it was not a WT event, therefore no race radios. I think he will do better in races where Bjarne can watch live TV and use the Radio to provide instant guidance. JMHO

Panda Claws said:
That is great, but I was comparing his season up until now to Gilbert's 2012 season up until this time of year.
I thought that was clear, because on a forum like this everyone is aware of the last xx World Champions.
I remember:p
gilbert_cancellara.jpg

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I said it even last year and people called me crazy, we do not even no what he is good at anymore. From someone who we thought could win all 5 monuments can probably win 2, MSR and RVV. Roubaix he could aswell. But Lombardy and LBL is a big no no right now unless 5 years down the line the classics era gets a bit weaker with Valverde and Purito retiring. He barely beats sprinters now, so what is he good at now?

I think it is a legitimate question, what is his strengths?. H is in bewtween a sprinter and classics man who can ride a hill, not a great combo imo to "win" big races. He is still a great rider and will be for some time because he is so consistent but im sure he does not care about consistency and wants huge wins. Sagan may have peaked we just don't know, it happen'd to Cunego.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Jancouver said:
Riis could not help him much at Strade as it was not a WT event, therefore no race radios. I think he will do better in races where Bjarne can watch live TV and use the Radio to provide instant guidance. JMHO

lol @ you thinking radio's make that much difference. you obviously never raced on a bike with a radio in

I think Sagan is a little like Wiggins. Both extremely gifted and oozing in talent for riding fast when it's all coming together, but both relatively quirky with on or off winning personalities sometimes. When 'on' they are unstoppable though, but off and their talent only makes up for an average performance.

I'm surprised he's not really on it at the moment though. Obviously the green jersey points changes will be much more difficult for a rider like Sagan this year, but I'm surprised he's not peaking for the spring too. Maybe he's really putting it all in for July, but I think he's just not into it at the moment. Things change quickly though!

SeriousSam said:
Talk about tactics is all fine and good but Sagan was nowhere near good enough to contest for the win even with the world's best tactics.

well, he's not in top shape, that's true, but as I said earlier, he was on anthibitiotics in oman racing in 40 degree celsius and higher, so it's understandable. This definataly at least slowed his shape getting better, if not sent him back. Hopefully, he will get there, but noones knows if whole season is not at risk, or more.

The obvious in the affect of oman is, that at one moment, he was probably feeling very well, and therefore wanting to destroy everybody himself. However, with such moves, if you're not 100% fit, there come's some point when you feel perfect and little while later, you're just out. And that's what it looked to me.

The problem in tactics is, if he wanted to win the race, he could have used his teammates to drive crazy pace to do the work for him. In the end, Kreuziger finished 11th, so at least him could breath the air for him lot longer than he used.
I am not saying, that he would win, but he might have have enough power not to crack in siena final with no work before. But he also might have not, as he's clearly not in top shape.

With time, we'll see if he's getting somewhere or it will be only worse this season, I personally hope for the first one.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
lol @ you thinking radio's make that much difference. you obviously never raced on a bike with a radio in

Unlike the stone age when you were a pro hearing nothing but a static noise in your radio, technology has evolved and race radios do make a huge difference these days as the DS has a live TV in the car, cell phone, internet, HR, power etc available.

DS can easily provide feedback when they see that their rider is doing something stupid and change tactics as needed. :cool:

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Apparently Sagan is suffering from some issues due to wrong positioning on the bike the last year or so at Cannondale...

Yesterday during race -danish eurosport commentator told he had been speaking to Riis who told him they had to change his position on the bike, and that it may take all season to undo the harm done.. I don't know how much there is to it but if he rode the "wrong" way the last few years on his previous team it could be one factor to his rare wins... With the new bike they build for him it does make some sense...

About yesterday he seemed very strong but I think the pressure is getting to him.. He likes to ride for fun but now there's a whole new deal going on with the screamer Tinkov and maybe some insecurity on the team due to Tinkov and gossip about Riis future...

I do think he really want's to impress -do well and that he needs to rely on and develop better race instincts rather than assesing the situation for too long as he did during his "half-attack" yesterday...

I think he is good enough to win Flandern if he can get his head sorted out.. Maybe time for Riis to call the legendary Ole Kåre Føli who worked magic on several of his riders in the past...

Ia'm sure that once Sagan get's his first big win they will come by the lot...

TRENDING THREADS