• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

robin440 said:
StephenC2020 said:
Haha!!
I watched it 3 hours ago! Confusing!!
Have you seen the original? :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oKPYe53h78

Peter Sagan:
Conquering the world, one video at a time. :cool:

I think Cookson should push for a new policy. Whoever wins the Rainbow Jersey must reenact one scene, of their choosing, from the movie Grease before the start of the next season. I'd be curious to see if such a policy would change the dynamics of a sprint finish or not.

Cycling has really drowned so low. Exactly the kind of music I bet he was listening to. Music for city-dwelling bourgeois, who has never experienced suffering: disco music! A little elite, sure of itself and enjoys life at the expense of the working class. He obviously does not know anything of blues or folk music. It's all coherent.

I'm not sure I'm going to watch any road cycling race, this year. Paris-Roubaix perhaps. It no longer interests me. Too much snobism in there. :eek:

Echoes said:
Cycling has really drowned so low. Exactly the kind of music I bet he was listening to. Music for city-dwelling bourgeois, who has never experienced suffering: disco music! A little elite, sure of itself and enjoys life at the expense of the working class. He obviously does not know anything of blues or folk music. It's all coherent.

I'm not sure I'm going to watch any road cycling race, this year. Paris-Roubaix perhaps. It no longer interests me. Too much snobism in there. :eek:

Is your taste in music the only one that counts?

Echoes said:

Goodbye then :p

Echoes said:

What the hell did I just read?
Who is acting elite here? Im not sure if serious?

Echoes said:

That's not disco. It's a 70's pastiche of 50s rock and roll.

Disco was originally an urban working class (and largely gay) thing.

Most professional cyclists, like most professional athletes, have terrible taste in music. But it will tend to be terrible in a Phil Collins, Oasis or Coldplay sort of way. The kind of music people like instead of liking music.

Kwibus said:
Echoes said:

What the hell did I just read?
Who is acting elite here? Im not sure if serious?

I think he is serious since I recall him bashing Sagan along with LS when he won worlds... and thats pretty sad

Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
classicomano said:
Even L_S mustve melted for Peter by now.
Just for the record, I haven't watched the video and have no intention of doing so. For the simple reason that i hated Grease before, why would I want to watch it re-enacted by somebody I can't stand?

Haven't watched it either. Just reeks of: 'look at me! you haven't watched me for a couple of months, look at me! Look at me!'

Almost as egotistical as Tinkov... Almost! :D

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
It's funny ofcourse, but it's too much. Sagan really is starting to believe he's the clown of cycling.

I see a classic phenomenon: someone who's really adapting to the image created by some people, and starting to believe he is that image.

I prefer riders who are genuinely funny and sympathetic, on certain occasions, but not all the time.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Finally, we have a rider who's showing personality, aaand he's getting bashed for it. He can clown all he likes, as long as he performs on the bike, which he did this year.

I know a lot of riders who have personality: Purito, Chaves, Cavendish (in a certain way), Cancellara (in a certain way), Dumoulin, Stybar, Bakelants....

There's a difference between having personality and acting like a clown all of the time. For some people, it's too much atm.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Finally, we have a rider who's showing personality, aaand he's getting bashed for it. He can clown all he likes, as long as he performs on the bike, which he did this year.
"Having personality" isn't necessarily a good thing. Some personalities aren't good ones to have (take Lance Armstrong's sociopathic tendencies for an example). Sagan's not boring, of course, which means that everybody is able to form an opinion of him, but his exuberant, attention-seeking personality divides many, and his ways of showing that personality divides them further. Therefore whenever he does something that gets him attention, of course some people will like it, and of course some won't. It seems the latter are in the minority; it also seems that fans who don't like Sagan are drawing almost as severe a reaction from those who do like him (along the "how dare you not like Sagan!" lines) as the ones he draws from those who don't like him (such as myself, for example). If you post negatively about Valverde, or Gerrans, or Froome, or Cavendish, or any other rider (I just picked some examples of the riders most negatively perceived on the forum), you'll be provided with several posts of agreement. If you post negatively about Sagan, you get several posts of aggressive rebuttal.

I get that this is the Peter Sagan discussion thread, and that's why I've normally stayed out of it, because I tend to get into arguments when "discussing" him. But it's not the "appreciation" thread, so it's not intended solely for positivity; and when somebody is as divisive a personality as Sagan, and especially when that person is as successful as he is (as they can't be ignored, and constant exposure is a way of turning ambivalence into dislike and dislike into hatred), of course some people aren't going to join the love-in.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Hey LS, whether you like it or not, Sagan is the best thing that happened to cycling in recent years. You may dislike him all you want, but it is clear that his on-bike and off-bike presence is very refreshing and he is drawing more fans and more sponsors to the sport.

Unlike most of the peloton, he is not boring to watch​ nor a one-trick pony (Purito etc). If the peloton was full of Sagan like riders, it would be so much fun. On the other hand, can you imagine peloton full no-personality guys like Froome? I would go shoot myself.

Re:

Jancouver said:
Hey LS, whether you like it or not, Sagan is the best thing that happened to cycling in recent years. You may dislike him all you want, but it is clear that his on-bike and off-bike presence is very refreshing and he is drawing more fans and more sponsors to the sport.

Unlike most of the peloton, he is not boring to watch​ nor a one-trick pony (Purito etc). If the peloton was full of Sagan like riders, it would be so much fun. On the other hand, can you imagine peloton full no-personality guys like Froome? I would go shoot myself.
I specifically stated he wasn't boring, and I have repeatedly stated that the way he rides on the bike is nothing to do with why I dislike him. The entire point of that post was to try to be diplomatic about the fact that successful people with strong personalities always divide the audience, so not to be surprised that he's not universally liked.

But of course, you're not interested in any kind of shade of grey to the otherwise jet black stance, because to you, any stance other than "this guy is awesome" is an affront, which you seem to think is a more objective stance than mine (spoiler: we're both massively biased). As evidenced when you've repeatedly reduced all dislike for Sagan as being solely due to the buttpinching incident because it's easier to dismiss that way, when many people despised him long before that, and when you claimed that I never give any reasons for any dislike, at which several people who actually like Sagan stepped in to correct you, and when you claimed that because I don't like Sagan I no longer have anything to contribute to any discussion of male professional cycling (see, just like you, I can cherrypick somebody's posts to see what I want in them. We're not that dissimilar after all!).