• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

MatParker117 said:
mrhender said:
I wonder if he'll be cursed next season as plenty recent winners have, or since already being cursed (eternal second placings) he will finally get a PR/TOF and in the jersey.

edit: when was the last time a reigning world champ won one of those?
(memory is failing)

Boonen in 2006.

Ten years ago. Perfect time for some history repeats. :D

hrotha said:
I didn't say Maja Leye in particular is hiding anything - she's perfectly fine with Sagan for all I know. I'm saying that "the victim seems to want to forget it happened, so there's no issue here" is a really bad and dangerous reasoning. And frankly, what Sagan did affects other people too, not only Maja Leye. Nothing to do with women being damsels in distress at all, it's about acknowledging a very real problem.

There's a difference between wanting to forget and forgiving.
Sagan made a huge mistake. It was inconsiderate, stupid and just plain-down wrong. When he realised how hurtful his actions had been he apologized and was forgiven.

Guy is a phenom here in Slovakia. This week after his WCRR win is real craziness. Literally everybody know about it. It is like when our ice hockey team won gold at WCH2002. On sme.sk first three most reading articles from last 7 days are about Sagan. Lot of people were welcoming him in Zilina. People wanted photos with him ,ladies were kissing him :D Check the gallery and you will understand what Sagan means to Slovakia. IMO most favourite athlete in Slovakia right now and maybe ever.

http://www.sme.sk/galeria/5251/fotk...565&foto=gk__4549_r7746-r695-st.ir2-_t150.jpg

Jun 15, 2009
www.swancoaching.com
Peter Sagan, a deserving World Champ!!

Being at the recent World Championships in person gave my family the opportunity to see what a deserving World Champion and great representative of the sport he makes. At the start of the race I noticed that many of his competitors would roll past him in the staging area and give him a pat or handshake. Just as I have noticed watching him on television he was most generous with kids when it came to autographs, pictures, or a smile and wave. My 5 year old daughter is a huge fan of his and was so excited to see him in person. He turned and gave her a huge smile when he heard her yelling his name on the start line. Despite it being very close to the start of the race and he had long quit doing autographs for the adult fans near him on the fencing, he generously went out of his way to autograph her jersey right before the roll out. This small gesture was a huge deal to my daughter and she was over the moon with joy that he was so nice to her
Later, after he won, the first thing I noticed was how many of his competitors seemed genuinely happy for him. Tom Boonen crossed the line, smiled at him and high fives him as did many others!
The first thing that he talks about being interviewed right after the race is how there are a lot of difficult times in Europe and the world right now. He was searching for words in English but it was clear that he wanted to make a point about how an event like Worlds brings out the good camaraderie between people and nations and that he wished better things in the future for world relations. My wife was very moved by it and thought it was funny that the interviewer had to prod him to talk about the race. I know that plenty of cynics will pick apart what he was saying or trying to say. But, that just demonstrates one of the problems society and especially media has right now... a need for negativity and cynicism rather than finding joy and the best in people and scenarios. If you didn't attend the event than you didn't get to feel the excellent vibe where small nations and little known riders were heartily welcomed, people of many different races and backgrounds coming together for a very fun event, socializing with people you might not normally and finding a common interest. It was a very positive atmosphere and Peter Sagan was a worthy winner who very well represented what it should all be about... the youth, the joy, positivity, camaraderie

That's not possible! He's an narcistic douchebag..........

Since I doubt you followed the toxic spillage after the race you won't get the reference.
I'm not a big Sagan fan, allthough last 2 years I liked him more.. not that dominant. Anyways to me he comes across as good guy. Sure his self esteem is over the moon and he made some mistakes more young men make, but he's certainly no villain.
Actually most of all I get the impression he's a really nice guy and your story supports that vision.

Jul 21, 2010
www.cyclingquotes.com
Re: Peter Sagan, a deserving World Champ!!

coachkev said:
If you didn't attend the event than you didn't get to feel the excellent vibe where small nations and little known riders were heartily welcomed, people of many different races and backgrounds coming together for a very fun event, socializing with people you might not normally and finding a common interest.

Nice bit, and makes Sagan's whole analogy - however mispronounced in English - much easier to understand.

Jun 15, 2009
www.swancoaching.com
Keram said:
Guy is a phenom here in Slovakia. This week after his WCRR win is real craziness. Literally everybody know about it. It is like when our ice hockey team won gold at WCH2002. On sme.sk first three most reading articles from last 7 days are about Sagan. Lot of people were welcoming him in Zilina. People wanted photos with him ,ladies were kissing him :D Check the gallery and you will understand what Sagan means to Slovakia. IMO most favourite athlete in Slovakia right now and maybe ever.

http://www.sme.sk/galeria/5251/fotk...565&foto=gk__4549_r7746-r695-st.ir2-_t150.jpg

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing the photo gallery! I wish his win and post-race interview would have gotten more press coverage in the USA. The event was amazing and great to be there in person as a spectator. When I got home I was disappointed to see how poorly the race was covered by the broadcast and how little of the positive energy was reported on. It didn't even make the front page of the Washington Post and Washington D.C. is less than 2 hr drive away from where it took place.

coachkev said:
Keram said:

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing the photo gallery! I wish his win and post-race interview would have gotten more press coverage in the USA. The event was amazing and great to be there in person as a spectator. When I got home I was disappointed to see how poorly the race was covered by the broadcast and how little of the positive energy was reported on. It didn't even make the front page of the Washington Post and Washington D.C. is less than 2 hr drive away from where it took place.

Nevertheless he is hugely popular in the US, becoming World Champion on American soil must have been nice for people over there.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

coachkev said:
Being at the recent World Championships in person gave my family the opportunity to see what a deserving World Champion and great representative of the sport he makes. At the start of the race I noticed that many of his competitors would roll past him in the staging area and give him a pat or handshake. Just as I have noticed watching him on television he was most generous with kids when it came to autographs, pictures, or a smile and wave. My 5 year old daughter is a huge fan of his and was so excited to see him in person. He turned and gave her a huge smile when he heard her yelling his name on the start line. Despite it being very close to the start of the race and he had long quit doing autographs for the adult fans near him on the fencing, he generously went out of his way to autograph her jersey right before the roll out. This small gesture was a huge deal to my daughter and she was over the moon with joy that he was so nice to her
Later, after he won, the first thing I noticed was how many of his competitors seemed genuinely happy for him. Tom Boonen crossed the line, smiled at him and high fives him as did many others!
The first thing that he talks about being interviewed right after the race is how there are a lot of difficult times in Europe and the world right now. He was searching for words in English but it was clear that he wanted to make a point about how an event like Worlds brings out the good camaraderie between people and nations and that he wished better things in the future for world relations. My wife was very moved by it and thought it was funny that the interviewer had to prod him to talk about the race. I know that plenty of cynics will pick apart what he was saying or trying to say. But, that just demonstrates one of the problems society and especially media has right now... a need for negativity and cynicism rather than finding joy and the best in people and scenarios. If you didn't attend the event than you didn't get to feel the excellent vibe where small nations and little known riders were heartily welcomed, people of many different races and backgrounds coming together for a very fun event, socializing with people you might not normally and finding a common interest. It was a very positive atmosphere and Peter Sagan was a worthy winner who very well represented what it should all be about... the youth, the joy, positivity, camaraderie

I had the same experience at the Tour of California. I met him and his personal soigneur/masseuse who is also from Slovakia at the hotel where they were staying. We chatted for good half an hour as I can speak Slovak since my grandma was from there.

Anyway, they were both very friendly and invited me, and my family to the "team only area" of the start of the race where they took pictures with my kids and chatted with my wife and me like some good old friends. They even gave us some signed items that we did not even ask for. It truly was a great experience.

My wife was very impressed as she also thought that he was just another cocky, arrogant, ego maniac cyclist.

Jun 15, 2009
www.swancoaching.com

Jancouver said:
coachkev said:

I had the same experience at the Tour of California. I met him and his personal soigneur/masseuse who is also from Slovakia at the hotel where they were staying. We chatted for good half an hour as I can speak Slovak since my grandma was from there.

Anyway, they were both very friendly and invited me, and my family to the "team only area" of the start of the race where they took pictures with my kids and chatted with my wife and me like some good old friends. They even gave us some signed items that we did not even ask for. It truly was a great experience.

My wife was very impressed as she also thought that he was just another cocky, arrogant, ego maniac cyclist.
Wow, what a great experience you were fortunate to have! And, great that he proved your wife wrong. Besides seeming like a nice guy who cares for kids, he also is downright entertaining to watch race and have fun afterwards with his wheelies and other antics. For the naysayers it is their loss. The sport should be fun and enjoyable and I believe he portrays that well!

SeriousSam said:
Kwibus said:
That's not possible! He's an narcistic douchebag..........
Plenty of stars are, doesn't mean they don't have fans. Starpower is the ultimate attractive trait and trumps almost everything else.

Hm, sure, that's no brainer.

I hope you noticed that the sarcastic "narcissistic douchebag" was to a post about how nice he behaved, not about him having lots of fans ...

May 20, 2010
Visit site
All white looks like a pijama, but I believe is still better then rainbow jersjey with blue-yellow fluo shorts or those from the Tour. Lets wait for some terrestial rains ;)

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
CQin_VEWEAAqSfH.jpg

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Bushman said:
Also, his shape has only gotten better since the classics. Next year he will be on fire in the classics.

I'm not sure he will. He always seems to peak around this time of year and then just about carries it into the first couple of weeks of the Tour de France. He really needs to adjust his training to peak a bit earlier - even if it means sacrificing the TdF.

He seems to take two or three months of racing to really get up to speed, so perhaps he should try cyclocross this winter (which he would probably be really good at) and try to get the form he has now during the classics. Then he could even miss the Tour, and try to get a second peak for the Vuelta and World Championships.

Surely that's a better plan at this stage of his career than winning another Green Jersey.

Sorry for bringing up a post from a few months back, but I need to add something regarding cyclocross, and how Sagan should "try" it ;)
Sagan got a silver medal at the 2008 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships in Treviso, Italy, in the juniors race. But thats not the most interesting part - he was European and World champion in MTB on the same year.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
That's true, but to be really and trully called "the best rider out there" he needs to prove it on the finish lines.

I admire him - both on and off the bike, but he really needs these "proper" wins.

TRENDING THREADS